Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full build log is here but I figured I'd post the pics in this section since I know of a lot of the viewers of this subsection don't browse anywhere else
thumb.gif

Most up-to-date pic:

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the perfect sized magnetic dust filter for the bottom cut out of my rack. Also installed a 2U AC Infinity unit for cool air intake at the bottom of the rack.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While I was waiting for my replacement motherboard I did some wire management
thumb.gif

I've since gotten the replacement motherboard and my vSAN cluster is now up and running. I'll be doing some testing of VM's on the vSAN datastore over the next few weeks before I migrate my VM's over to it (currently I have VM's running on local datastores on the hosts).

·
Registered
620 Posts
Curious what the use for this is and if personal, how did you justify the expense for VSAN licensing?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty288 View Post

Curious what the use for this is and if personal, how did you justify the expense for VSAN licensing?
I use this for redundancy of the "production" services on my home network. Most notably my media server applications (Plex, Plexpy, Sonarr, CouchPotato, NZBGet, etc.) as well as two Server 2012r2 Domain Controllers I use for Active Directory and DNS. On top of that I will be soon setting up a lab network that will be used just for testing different scenarios/software applications I'd like to use at work.

With regard to licensing I purchased a VMUG Advantage membership which cost $200 per year and gives you licensing for all the newest VMware products every year.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post

I use this for redundancy of the "production" services on my home network. Most notably my media server applications (Plex, Plexpy, Sonarr, CouchPotato, NZBGet, etc.) as well as two Server 2012r2 Domain Controllers I use for Active Directory and DNS. On top of that I will be soon setting up a lab network that will be used just for testing different scenarios/software applications I'd like to use at work.

With regard to licensing I purchased a VMUG Advantage membership which cost $200 per year and gives you licensing for all the newest VMware products every year.
VMUG Does have it's advantages. I'm a consultant for a VMWare partner, and we have demo licensing of every product. No support, but we can play with whatever we want.

I had to explain to the higher ups at my company (whole company is only 50 people) that we can't do VSAN on blades....

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkalurk View Post

This all just looks expensive.

The expensive thing I'm hoping to buy this year is a new GTX 1080...
Yes it wasn't cheap but I had about $2,500 worth of gear on my network that I sold to offset the cost somewhat and I had been saving up for this overhaul for the past year. This was my last big splurge as a bachelor after all
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I think all of my server stuff is worth much less than $2500.

I have a cheap tp-link 16 port 1 GB unmanaged switch, a HP ML350 G6 tower server, and another server I custom built. The HP only cost me $500 after upgrades.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

I think all of my server stuff is worth much less than $2500.

I have a cheap tp-link 16 port 1 GB unmanaged switch, a HP ML350 G6 tower server, and another server I custom built. The HP only cost me $500 after upgrades.
Yea there is no doubt I could have accomplished all this with much cheaper servers. However it wouldn't have been nearly as low power/heat/noise as this cluster is. That was my top goal. This 4-node cluster has a total CPU TDP of 130w between 4 CPUs.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Every build has a purpose. My servers are in my basement, and I live in Minnesota, heat isn't really an issue. As for noise, they're in the basement where my wife and I only go to get stored items or do the laundry. You can hear the hum of the fans, but otherwise it's a non issue. Power isn't too big of an issue. In the HP I have a pair of 430 W PSUs in a redundant system. In the home builts I have corsair 450W efficient PSU. I use more power than some of my neighbors, but they're all old and don't have 4-5 computers running during most days. My wife and I both work from home, so I've got my big desktop running with 2 monitors and a 750W PSU, she's on the HTPC and TV all day on her laptop too.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Every build has a purpose. My servers are in my basement, and I live in Minnesota, heat isn't really an issue. As for noise, they're in the basement where my wife and I only go to get stored items or do the laundry. You can hear the hum of the fans, but otherwise it's a non issue. Power isn't too big of an issue. In the HP I have a pair of 430 W PSUs in a redundant system. In the home builts I have corsair 450W efficient PSU. I use more power than some of my neighbors, but they're all old and don't have 4-5 computers running during most days. My wife and I both work from home, so I've got my big desktop running with 2 monitors and a 750W PSU, she's on the HTPC and TV all day on her laptop too.
Yup, definitely different use cases. My rack sits a few feet away from me in an open door office right off my living room and it does get hot here in the summer time. I'm moving into a new house in the fall and I might be able to move it into the basement then, we'll have to see. But regardless, I built this setup with some future proofing in mind.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
** UPDATE **

So after messing around with the Ubiquiti ES-16-XG for a few weeks I decided to send it back. It doesn't support almost any DAC's at this time (even Ubiquiti themselves suggest only using optics at this time) an there were some other finicky issues with the firmware. Decided to pony up the cash for the Cisco SG350XG-24F and added it to my rack. I'm now able to utilize both SFP+ ports in my servers.

Updated pic of my rack below.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts