Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RedAlertBannerRedo.jpg

Whats with the name? The name was chosen as a tribute to my two most influential games. The first one is Command & Conquer: Red Alert on PC (yes the 90's version). It was the first PC game I remember enjoying and it had a big impact on me. I would play the game all day when I was 7 or 8 on my Gateway desktop. The thing probly only had 128mb of RAM and dial up
tongue.gif
. The second game is Mass Effect on X360, this is where the SR1 came from (the name of Shepard's ship is the Normandy SR1). I love this game due to the great story, the immersive environment, and the many different paths that one can take.

Current Status:
IMAG0639.jpg

Phase 1 Completion pics: (See page 6 for the final pics of the watercooling!)
IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

Alright folks, this mod is effectively on hold for at least a very long time. Lugging this 75 pound beast back and forth between college and home was becoming too big of a hassle. I love this computer very much as it was my first mod, but I have sold all of the components except one of the 6950s, and will be moving the an itx platform now, as well as intel I plan to make a much more professional worklog with better pictures etc. for the next round. Thanks to all those who followed, I really appreciate the support, hopefully my next mod will be bigger (smaller?) and better than ever!
thumb.gif

Hey everyone!

I am a new member here. I have been looking at these forums for a while but just recently decided to join, here is my first major contribution! I have had my Cooler Master Storm Scout for a about 6 months now, and I love it! I had already done some modding to it, such as moving the hard drive cage over to accomodate the beasty 6950. I have also recently become interested in doing a full custom watercooling setup in my rig. One problem: I dont think a few 120.1 radiators are gonna work to cool my 955 and that 6950! Sooo, with the help of my brother, my dad's tool collection, and some dumb luck, I will attempt to mod the Scout in order to accomodate a 360mm radiator. Suggestions are welcome, this is my first mod project.
biggrin.gif
I know my hardware may not be the epitome of performance, but cut me a break; im a 20 year old college student
wink.gif
. For the specs of my rig, you can check out my sig. In advance, I apologize for the subpar picture quality, they have so far been taken with my droid incredible and my not so steady hand. In the words of Captain Tenneal of MXC "Geeeet it on!"
wheee.gif

Hmmm...will they fit? We shall see!
IMAG0150.jpg

The disassembly is complete, dremeltime!
thumb.gif

IMAG0164.jpg

·
Registered
377 Posts
Keep it up! I am also a super broke 20 year-old college student. Modding without money or they proper tools makes it 10x more frustrating but the pay off is awesome when you can say "I made that". I find old old computer case and practice panting, cutting, ect. I still haven't quite got the courage to remove pop rivets yet lol. I dont have the money to fix what i break or buy new. YOUTUBE IS YOUR FRIEND lol. Watch other people mess it up so you dont.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitzoPhr3nia;14165802
Keep it up! I am also a super broke 20 year-old college student. Modding without money or they proper tools makes it 10x more frustrating but the pay off is awesome when you can say "I made that". I find old old computer case and practice panting, cutting, ect. I still haven't quite got the courage to remove pop rivets yet lol. I dont have the money to fix what i break or buy new. YOUTUBE IS YOUR FRIEND lol. Watch other people mess it up so you dont.
Thanks for the advice mate! Thankfully I have most of the proper tools and I am not totally broke, so I have something to work with. As for the pop rivets, just get a sharp, 1/8th drill bit and they come out perfect! I learned that from youtube and used it on my hard drive cage! Hopefully i dont mess up too bad on anything
tongue.gif
Go for the rivets man
thumb.gif

·
Registered
377 Posts
My problem with pop rivets isn't getting them out but putting new ones in lol. No tools for that.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Just to think outside the box a little, you COULD get away with a 240mm rad up top and a 120mm rad where your H50 is now, or even just keep the H50 and mod it to work in your loop. That would be awesome. The 240mm up top should be able to handle your rig alone though. Just some thoughts, in case the 360mm doesn't fit or you decide it will become too messy and a 240mm would be cleaner. You could probably easily get a 280mm (2x140mm) rad up top too

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitzoPhr3nia;14168970
My problem with pop rivets isn't getting them out but putting new ones in lol. No tools for that.
Oh I see, yes that would make things more difficult! I think they are pretty cheap, I just had one laying around, looked to be from the cold war era
wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by willibj;14169563
Just to think outside the box a little, you COULD get away with a 240mm rad up top and a 120mm rad where your H50 is now, or even just keep the H50 and mod it to work in your loop. That would be awesome. The 240mm up top should be able to handle your rig alone though. Just some thoughts, in case the 360mm doesn't fit or you decide it will become too messy and a 240mm would be cleaner. You could probably easily get a 280mm (2x140mm) rad up top too
What do you mean keep the H50 and mod it to work in the loop? These are interesting ideas, I wanna make sure it can handle two 6950s if I ever get a chance to crossfire them. Do you think a 280 would be enough for that? Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
People have modded their H50's to include an external reservior for it, keeping the temps down with more liquid. I hypothesize that you could incorporate the H50 into a custom loop.
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/647943-guide-h50-replace-tubes-res-mod.html

Ext. Pump > 240mm/280mm > H50 CPU (pump then through H50 rad) > GPU/'s > Ext. Pump

or maybe:

Ext. Pump > 240mm/280mm > GPU/'s > H50 CPU (pump then through H50 rad) > Ext. Pump

Would be a wickedly cool mod if you could pull it off.

I'm sure that such a loop could handle crossfire 6950's and PhII 955.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by willibj;14169742
People have modded their H50's to include an external reservior for it, keeping the temps down with more liquid. I hypothesize that you could incorporate the H50 into a custom loop.

Ext. Pump > 240mm/280mm > H50 CPU (pump then through H50 rad) > GPU/'s > Ext. Pump

or maybe:

Ext. Pump > 240mm/280mm > GPU/'s > H50 CPU (pump then through H50 rad) > Ext. Pump

Would be a wickedly cool mod if you could pull it off.

I'm sure that such a loop could handle crossfire 6950's and PhII 955.
This sounds like a hell of a project! Also, with the H50 and external pump in the same loop, wouldnt that cause problems with the different flow rates of the pumps? Another problem is that I already ordered the 360 shroud that I need... lol

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since there is not room for the fans AND the radiator at the top of the scout, I will be using the Koolance SHR-1020BK 3x120mm shroud to accomodate the fans. The angled sides of the shroud are just plastic that can she unscrewed, so after those are removed, it will just pretty much be a box. I will have to do some extra cutting to get it fitted onto the top of the scout. The mounting will be under the plastic top of the scout so it shouldnt show. at all.

The shroud

The before we get to this however, I will have to mod the top plastic parts, there are 2 separate parts. Here is what I have done so far:

Here is the piece of plastic that is in the center, we will need to cut out the center of this. Here is the beginning of the cut.

Here is the middle part that wont be needed:

Here are the two side pieces that need to be kept, they will go on either side of the shroud:

Here you can see which part of the plastic was cut. Here is what it looks like with just the sides inserted:

The next step will be to cut the other plastic piece so that we can actually get the shroud in there. Pretty good update id say! Feel free to throw out your suggestions or opinions! Happy modding!

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
i might steal that idea of cutting the plastic where the fan is. Its kind of stupid to have 2 fan grills on one fan. Don't know why the would do that.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedark1337;14185183
biggrin.gif
i might steal that idea of cutting the plastic where the fan is. Its kind of stupid to have 2 fan grills on one fan. Don't know why the would do that.
Youve got the modders mindset, its broken ENOUGH to screw with
wink.gif
I really think it does create some turbulence though, hope it goes well if you do decide to do it!
cheers.gif

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More updates! I have finished cutting away all the plastic on top and I am now in possession of the shroud, or at least what left from the chopjob.
wink.gif

Below: Here is the only pic I took while cutting away the rest of the top plastic. It worked out perfetly that the cut was exactly as wide as the fan grill, so there will be no slots on either side of the shroud. My dumb luck in action
biggrin.gif

IMAG0180.jpg

Below: Here is the shroud. I have taken off the angled plastic sides, so now it is pretty much a flat box, which will allow it to fit between the handle and also make it mount and look better on the top. I took off a bunch of the base metal to accomodate the screws for the handle and the other mounting devices of the plastic. They wont be noticeable anyway, so dont mind the metallic sharpie. They will be covered by the plastic on either side. Note:Two and a half rolls of masking tape gave their lives for the success of this project.
rolleyes.gif

IMAG0169.jpg

Below: Time for some many metal cutting, the really messy part. For this I used a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. I will round the corners with that, and then go back and straighten them out later.
IMAG0170.jpg

Below: I was too lazy to take the power supply and all of the cables out, so I just taped the ends and fan hole to keep the dust out. I dont think it should be a problem!
IMAG0171.jpg

Well, im gettin down to the real nitty gritty of this mod now, there is definately no turning back. So far I am very happy with how things are going. The shroud and and other cuts have gone better than expected, and my brothers jagsaw skills should come in handy for the next part
biggrin.gif
. as always feel free to leave any comments or suggestions!

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by smoket4279`
View Post

I likey..
I might use your idea but with a 240 up top

sub'd

Sounds great! Be sure the 140's fit in between the handle if you are planning to use a shroud. The 120's were pretty close to the plastic handles soo measure twice, cut once.
Thanks for the sub, I appreciate it

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatwilly
View Post

nice work! Lots of radiator in there

Thanks! I checked out your scout worklog, needless to say I liked it a lot.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nice work! Seems like you and me are almost doing the same project! I'm doing the same sort of think to my case, an Azza Helios 910. Same issue, doesn't fit a 360 rad, need to put one in lol.

Looks like it's working out pretty good so far! I hope you don't get any metal shavings in your PSU cables from the jig saw though - they would be a pain to get out. Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul.;14215597
Nice work! Seems like you and me are almost doing the same project! I'm doing the same sort of think to my case, an Azza Helios 910. Same issue, doesn't fit a 360 rad, need to put one in lol.

Looks like it's working out pretty good so far! I hope you don't get any metal shavings in your PSU cables from the jig saw though - they would be a pain to get out. Keep up the good work!
Great minds think alike!
wink.gif
Checked out your log, props for making your own shroud, that must way more difficult (read: satisfying) than buying something from Koolance.

I taped the connectors pretty dang well so hopefully no shavings. Also, the PSU fan is facing down so very little risk there! You keep up the good work as well mate!

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasl46;14216581
Dude, you have to become a member of the Storm Scout club, follow this link and you will get lots of ideas for your 360 rad
I will check it out! Since it appears to be a massive thread, do you now offhand if anyone has tried to put a 360 rad on top of (or anywhere for that matter) a Storm Scout?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well I went searching as I'm a member over there and not even I have read through all those pages , but from what I could gather, is a few of the members talked about putting a 360 up front and a couple talked about a 240 up top other than that couldnt find any definite pics to support any such mods so hope this help as there are a ton of other great advise and mods in the thread

Just found this....member B_Negative put a 360 up top http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/525009-official-coolermaster-storm-scout-club-2258.html
Bigfatwilly put a 240 in bottom http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/823121-cm-storm-spectre-complete.html
mr charles's build http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/758141-cm-scout-seal-edition.html

I found all to be very good reading and alot of good info I thought I would share

1 - 20 of 73 Posts