Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
headersmall.jpg

What started out as an idea for some cable management and sleeving has turned into a full-blown case mod that will include watercooling and lots of UV orange and blue. This will be my first case mod on the first computer I've ever built. I realize it's ridiculous to try to fit a decent water loop inside any Antec mid-tower, but I think that's part of the reason I want to try it. Most of the tools and techniques involved in this mod I've never used before, so don't expect it to look perfect. It should be a fun project, and I hope to acquire some new tools and learn in the process.

This is my PC when I first built it. Ewww….

img1103d.jpg

This is the work done prior to this build log:

• NZXT cable extensions
  • Removed grill from side window and swapped acrylic with a 900 (fan mounts flusher without filter)
  • UV Cathodes and UV blue SATA cables
  • Painted a couple 120mm fans UV orange.

So at the start, this is what it looked like.

img0049tc.jpg

And here's the plan for the rest of the build:

• Paint case interior UV Orange Canceled
  • PSU flip with cutout hole on bottom Done
  • Bottom-mount 240 rad Done
  • Plate/false floor to cover PSU and rad, with cutouts for fans and tubing Done
  • Cut/extend cable management holes Done
  • Miscellaneous UV sleeving and heatshrink on cables Done
  • Much taller standoffs on case bottom Done
  • Install CPU/GPU water loop DONE!
  • Full window? (future modification)
Watercooling Parts: Received all as of 1/26/11

• XSPC Rasa CPU Block - Purchased on OCN
  • BIX 240 rad - Purchased on OCN
  • XSPC RASA GPU Block
  • BIP 120 rad
  • Swiftech MCP355
  • XSPC Dual Res/Pump top
  • Koolance UV Orange tubing - 6ft.
  • Bitspower ½" Barbs x 10
  • Quad Block with stop plug for draining loop and connection for PSI gauge

Here is a rough idea of what I'm going for with the bottom cover (1st time using sketchup as well
tongue.gif
)

Mockup.PNG

If I have to hack the case to pieces in the process, so be it!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watercooling, etc. parts ordered on 1/10.

Check back in the next couple weeks for when I begin disassembling the case.

Fans painted:

img1125f.jpg

I had cut a grill to fit my Optical drive, but as it turns out I will probably be removing the drive completely to have room for the loop. Oh well.

img1151zz.jpg

·
Registered
476 Posts
sweet i'm liking the banner. what program did you use?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_mellon;12027953
sweet i'm liking the banner. what program did you use?
Photoshop CS5. Only took a couple minutes really.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: I've stripped everything out of my case and cut some holes. I cut the rear fan grill, the bottom hole for the psu, and extended the cable management hole below the mobo.

The 240 rad with shrouds

Fitting everything up inside the case bottom. Right now it fits, but if I wanted to add a gpu that takes another 6-pin power cable, there would be some fitment issues. I have been considering selling my 5770 and getting a 470, so not sure at this point how to deal with that. I have a 2x molex to 6-pin cable, that could possibly work?

This is a prototype of the metal cover for the bottom of the case. I cut this one from an old HP case, but this won't be the final product, just an idea and fitment.

Tomorrow I should receive the majority of my watercooling parts from PPCs, as well as some sleeving, U-channel, and other misc. parts.

As soon as I cut a couple cable management holes on the side of the bay area and figure out how the heck I'm gonna mount this 240 rad internally, I can drill the rivets out of the case and begin painting the interior!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got parts today. Took a couple quick pics.

Theme of the build - though not the inspiration for it.

All that's left for that is the 120 rad and pressure gauge, which are on their way. Now to get back to cutting...

·
Registered
476 Posts
schweet! i love the enzotech bio hazardous fittings
wubsmiley.gif

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the encouragement ya'll
smile.gif

I didn't get as much done as I had hoped this weekend, but I did get the bottom cutout for the 240 rad finished and did some LED wiring. Pics of that once I accomplish more. After cutting the prototype psu/rad cover pictured above, I learned that I can't cut all that straight with a jigsaw. So, I decided to cut the final product with my dremel. Only problem is I've done every other cut on this case with the dremel, and have run out of cutoff wheels. When I get a chance I'll pick up some more from the hardware store and get started on that plate.

In other news, my 120 rad should be here this week which will complete my watercooling parts, and hopefully I will be selling my 5770 to a friend as well.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
240 bottom cutout:

img0891z.jpg

And now for some wiring. I lengthened the mobo power sw, reset sw, and hdd led cables so that they can now be managed well.

img0885jn.jpg

Wired the Orange LEDs for the acrylic res

img0889x.jpg

Let there be light!!

img0892tl.jpg

Wonder how it will look once installed and filled with water.

img0896p.jpg

Also, I got my Black Ice Pro 120 rad in the mail today. Ran some hot distilled water through it, wasn't prepared for how badly it needed cleaning!

img0879qo.jpg

Yuck! It almost looks like the rad was filled with sand or something. Also had to clean the threads on it. Went through several more flushes of distilled water until I was satisfied with the purity of the water coming out (I'm not easily satisfied). My plan is probably going to be to mount this rad on the outside of the back of the case where I cut the grill out, with the barbs coming into the case - I saw it on someone else's Antec mod here but don't remember where.

5770 will be gone this weekend, and for a replacement I'm thinking... gtx 560
biggrin.gif

Also, I decided against painting the entire case interior UV orange. Since the tubes are already that color, I felt it might wash them out and make them not pop as much. I may decide do some orange accents though, such as painting the PCI slot covers, we'll see.

For being mostly a weekend project, I'm pleased with my steady progress on this. The only major thing I have left is cutting the final plate to cover the psu and rad, and paint it black. After that the rest should be simple.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Asus GTX560 came into stock on newegg last night so I ordered it. Can't wait! Also, the metal cover has been cut, I should be cutting the holes for the tubing to poke through it tonight. I think it looks real good, will update soon with pics of that.

Now I'm just trying to figure out the airflow setup. I am thinking both the rads should be intake, which would be 3 x 120mm intake, top 200mm exhaust and front 120mm exhaust.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts