Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my first modding project I plan on expanding the window on the HAF X. It currently has a giant fan slot which I have no use for in my watercooled rig. I would rather look at the pretty blue tubes inside the case than a fan grill.

My plan:

Parts:

24x24 pice of 1/10" acryllic
Blue Painters' Tape
3M Super Heavy Duty Mounting Tape
U Channel

Tools:

Dremel
Jigsaw
File

My first step was to pop out the current piece of acrylic and tape up the side panel. I then measured a 1 cm margin around the current cutout for my planned cut. I like the style of the current cutout's shape, just not the fan grill. I plan to cut tomorrow if my parts arrive as expected. If not it may be next week, as I am going out of town this weekend. Any advice is welcome as this is my first case mod and I hate to miss something obvious. I have read a lot of guides and think I have covered all of the bases. Here are the before pics, will update soon.
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Damn man, you were the first with a water cool build log for the haf x and now your the first(i think) to window mod it.

Settle down lol.

I really agree tho that the window kinda sucks, I mean who wants to look at drive bays? I understand it for air on the gpu but still.

Hope it turns out fantastic.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK so I got my acrylic today and decided to go ahead and cut. I cut the side panel on the line I traced yesterday with a jigsaw and metal blade, making the initial cut with the Dremel. I then traced what I thought was a decent margin in the acrylic around the side panel hole. I cut the whole piece of acrylic with the Dremel as the jigsaw was cracking it. It worked pretty well cutting smoothly, though I did use two blades. Unfortunately I did not account for heat shrinkage and the margin came out a bit tighter than I planned, but it still covered thank goodness. Here are pics the side panel cut and the acrylic cut. They came out pretty clean, though I did have a few small imperfections. I hope to tape over them so the line looks clean when I put on the U-Channel.
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I taped up the edges of the acrylic as they were a little sloppy from the heat. They will be invisible inside the case anyway. Finally I could not resist popping the panel in my case for a little preview, pics attached. Hopefully my U-Channel arrives tomorrow and I can put the finishing touches on this mod.

Update: U-Trim did not come today. I'm going out of town today so final pics will probably not be up until Sunday night or Monday.
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got back from the beach this afternoon and put the U-Channel on today. I then taped the back with electrical tape to secure it as it was a bit looser than I wanted. I then applied the two sided tape to the inside of the panel and put the acrylic window on. A few of the corners did not come out as clean as I would have liked, but overall I am very happy with the result. Especially for the price. The total cost was around $25 including saw and Dremel blades and more tape and U-Channel than I actually needed. I'm gald to have my first case mod under my belt with no disasters
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolman4now View Post

- I'm planing on getting this case next week, I'll consider the side window.

- But I'll have to copy your cutout shape.

Thanks, I feel it makes a big difference for a low price. I like the shape I did though it would have been much easier if I had done a square window outside of the raised area.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have been going back and forth between the Haf-X and the 800D, my only con (IMO) with the haf-x was the window not showing off the cards with that little window. I do understand that cooling is important but I love windows
.....this mod opens up my options.
btw, excellent window mod bro! thank you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am really wanting to do this mod to my Haf X case but I am thinking I wont and will just get the 900D when it comes out so I can have a monster case and just monster room and windows to show off my PC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.