Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing how expensive some laptop coolers can be I did not want to buy two for my laptops. I had some extra wood in the garage so I decided to make my own. Enjoy!

Well since its like 20 degrees in my garage I turned my bar into a work station.

This is my homeade power supply for the fans.

This is the bottom of the whole unit. As you can see I decided not to use the fan contolers because the fans were already very quiet even at top speed.

There is my nice wiring for the switch. It was kind of a hassle becuase the switch runs on 120vac, but its a cool switch.

There is the completed laptop cooler from the front. I think I may put some lights in it later.

Another view from the front, you can kind of see the switch light.

And there is a completed view from the back.

Comments or suggestions are welcome.

Ken Man The Mod Man

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by svtfmook View Post
how do you fit that on your lap?
haha, my thoughts exactly.

but since your other/previous thread mentioned they were folding lappies (if i remember right anyway) i doubt fitting it on your lap was the aim ^_~

and i love the home-made PSU.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
lol I need/want a laptop cooler. Don't think that would be portable enough to take to school though.

Looks cool though, lets see some action pics and before and after temps.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by svtfmook View Post
how do you fit that on your lap?
Same question...

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, its not for putting in your lap. I built it for my two folding laptops. I have yet to install speedfan on my two lapies, but once I do I will report before and after temps.

The dimensions are 20in height x 16.5in width x 15.5 depth. I needed it that big because I have a 14.5 inch laptop.

·
Registered
571 Posts
post pics with the laptop(s) on it...
so we can see what exactly it is...
is this for setting up your laptops at home and have them connected to another monitor?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
How did you make the psu ? it looks cool
I think you need another "L" bracket on that top shelf though or glue a piece of wood under the shelf.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The psu is a variable power supply from Ace Hardware. I just took apart the case and glued the circuit board into the outdoor switch housing. As for the upper shelf it is kind of bent because orginally I cut through the aluminum to cut out the center hole. Now the piece isn't quite square and it either bunches up or down. As for the shelf support, it is bolted into the side of the wood.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
There's a 3-for-2 sale at www.nexfan.com and some laptop coolers included.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kennymester
View Post

Ken Man The Mod Man

one laptop sits on the top and the other laptop sits on the bottom, on top of the fans.
For those that were asking.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm actually going to be putting this on ebay pretty soon if anybody is interested. If I get 35 rep in the next two weeks I'll sell it on here. I think I'm going to sell it for about 20 bucks plus shipping.

Reason: I found a desk at a garage sale for 10 dollars and I modded two fans into the bottom of the table.

·
Registered
1 Posts
that is very smart of you ... but i think you should clean your fan casing instead and stop putting your laptop on your lap but on a flat panel, secondly acer are bad so if thats what you use that is what they do.
i have had a philips x200 i bought at lavacomp.co.uk for a while now and no problems. i know i dont enjoy the luxury of putting it on my bed or lap but its paid for it and the battery life is excellent. i learnt with my hp dv2000 which was sad to lose due to my misuse

1 - 18 of 18 Posts