Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This project will be a case mod. The selected victim is a Silverstone SST TJ-07. This is a beautiful case as it is. The finish is imaculate, but some attention to detail could have been applied to the interior - a very minor gripe: de-burring. Almost all the edges of the interior pieces had burrs running the entire length. Nothing that 30 minutes and an emery board couldn't fix.

The first thing I did was to fully dismantle the case down to the riveted pieces and thoroughly clean them. Pics will be up in few days.

Mods:
  • Fully primed and painted interior and chassis
  • Custom paint for the exterior case panels
  • Single loop, double rad (1 x 220; 1 x 120) liquid cooling.
  • Custom front window panel
  • Custom Side window panel
  • Custom PSU/HDD chamber window panels
  • UV or CC lighting (leaning toward UV in Red).

·
B.O.W
26,977 Posts
Im subscribed to this one - I wanna watch it from the beginning!

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28 View Post
Im subscribed to this one - I wanna watch it from the beginning!
exactly!!
you are all awesome syrillian
and i shall be keeping close tabs on this!
have fun and good luck!

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I needed a change from building, and this case-mod has been scratching at the backside of my skull for some time now.

I need to rebuild Gemini, but I need to consider the changes and improvements (architectural feasiblility) carefully. Oftentimes the solution to problems present themselves when one is not thinking about them at all....

...Liquid Chameleon provides a nice hiatus.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Wow, another case mod? God, I need a better paying job
Can't wait to see it, as it will be an excellent mod guaranteed.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I love the TJ07, looking into buying it.

Subscribed!

·
B.O.W
26,977 Posts
Can't wait.

I know the feeling - I have my future build already in my head and I just built this one! It's gonna take a whole year before I can do mine though. I need to make money!

^_^

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was difficult to break this case down. It is really very beautiful. I toyed with the idea of not painting the chassis or the even the case itself, but I knew that I would regret it later on down the line â€" so I took the plunge.

Here she is prior to me getting my mitts on her:

I really like the design of the case. The stock grills that cover the panel area of the HDD and PSU chamber are really rather nice. They provide excellent ventilation, especially for the PSU. Once again I was tempted to leave well enough alone, but decided that custom window panels would be a nice touch.

I will attempt to keep the lower chambers ventilation as efficient as possible, but there will be a decrease of available open surface area as I am using acrylic for the custom windows.

These are the pedestals that the HDD racks rest upon. The stock orientation of the fans puts them on the same side as the motherboard chambers window, not ideal for my purposes. Fortunately these are removable and the mounting holes are placed at the same points in either orientation on the long axis â€" Yay! I can flip them around.

Here are the HDD cages. I am uncertain as to what fans I will use, nor have I decided whether I will mount the HDD cooling fans on the stock brackets, or to the window panel that will cover them…

This is the HDD/PSU chamber and motherboard chamber partition, and the 5†bay mounting panels.

…and shot of some of the case parts:

Here are all the chassis pieces. I dismantled the case down to the riveted pieces. I did not see any purpose in drilling the rivets out simply for painting. I know that there will be some surface area where the pieces meet that will not receive paint, but I will simply have to live with it.

….erm… I sure hope I can re-assemble this…

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar View Post
I'm sure it'll go back together fine
Looking forward to the results!

I really hate sharp edges in a case...don't they realize there are all kinds of wires inside these things? Wires with very thin insulation?
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

...I took about a dozen pictures just in case.

Sharp edges... Ya! no kidding. I have partially stripped wires in the past when I was threading the wires though some holes or openings that had particularly bad burrs....

Oh well... what can one expect from mass-produced components...

Thanks for stopping by.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdattilo View Post
Can't wait to see the results! All your work is A+ and you picked an excellent subject case for this project

Thanks, Mr. Dattilo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr1mo View Post
I like these tj0's cant wait to see what you do to it
Ya!... You guys have good taste
The TJ07 is a real supermodel.

I am in the priming stage, and should be able to do some painting this weekend. It rained most of this week so painting was not an option

Perhaps Mother Nature will see fit to bless my area with some Sun over the weekend.

·
Premium Member
12,297 Posts
That's a mighty fine case sir

I prefer the TJ-07 over all the later models (TJ-09/10) just because it looks that much smoother and sleeker...Is it true that the top, front and bottom are all made from a single sheet of alu?

Gotta love the little touches by Silverstone, like not blocking airflow for the back fans by installing grills - are they two 80mm or two 120mm fans?

·
Registered
961 Posts
That is a clean looking case. I think I might just have to get one on the next mod. Looking good.

·
Registered
853 Posts
1 - 20 of 316 Posts