Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I recently completed ME2, and I have to say wow, what a great game.

However, now I really wish I had played ME1 before ME2, as I feel like I have missed out on a large part of the story line.

For those of you who have played both, do you recommend me playing ME1 now?

Or will I think its pants because ME2 is alot better?

I also assume that I cannot use my ME2 character in ME1....is that right?

Thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The first ME1 really gives the backstory and previous events that ME2 sometimes eludes to. It's not necessary, but if you've got nothing to play, I'd say you might as well check it out.

You can't use your ME2 character in ME1. ME2 is much better than the first in gameplay and everything, so ME1 will feel all watered down. I guess that's downside.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamerfelipe
View Post

The first ME1 really gives the backstory and previous events that ME2 sometimes eludes to. It's not necessary, but if you've got nothing to play, I'd say you might as well check it out.

You can't use your ME2 character in ME1. ME2 is much better than the first in gameplay and everything, so ME1 will feel all watered down. I guess that's downside.

I disagree ME1 mechanics (the Leveling up, weapon mods, health system) were better i my opinion. Everything else is WAY better in ME2 though

• Rep+
Reactions: djglenn

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunkylad
View Post

It's up to you, the first one will probably seem extremely old fashioned and you will miss some of the features in the new one.

Totally agreed. Having played ME2, I really can't imagine having to go back and play ME1 simply because ME2 is like an extremely polished version of the first installment.

It'll definitely feel retro.

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
The leveling system was better in ME1, I agree. The graphics... *shudders*

• Rep+

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Worth it, brilliant game in every way.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusion Racing
View Post

Worth it, brilliant game in every way.

QFT

I'd say its worth it. Mass Effect is one of the best video game story arc's i've played; the first one is a great game and would give you a LOT of back story that only gets a mention in ME2.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I bought ME1 and totally regret it. It's not so much that the gameplay and graphics feel outdated and inadequate compared to the sequel, although both are true but my main gripe was the first one is full of bugs on PC and the game froze for me so many times it was just unplayable. If you really want to play ME1 I'd get it for 360 if you have the system.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miked270 View Post
I bought ME1 and totally regret it. It's not so much that the gameplay and graphics feel outdated and inadequate compared to the sequel, although both are true but my main gripe was the first one is full of bugs on PC and the game froze for me so many times it was just unplayable. If you really want to play ME1 I'd get it for 360 if you have the system.
Never had any of those problems, even before the patches. If anything ME2 has a more annoying bug where you can walk up things and get stuck on top unable to move - then you have to reload the game with a different save. Only major bug I had on ME1 was on the mission to rescue Liara I drove the Mako past where you are meant to, then drove up a ramp and fell underground.

• Rep+

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies, rep+ to you all.

Alot of mixed views on this one then :)

I might just get it and try it out, or I might try Dragon Age - Orgins....

tbh, ME2 has changed my views on games, as I have been playing nothing but FPS lately. ME2 was a refreshing break, and reminded me of past times like FF VII and Diablo II.

Any other recomendations out there? I tried Oblivion a while back, but thought it was pants.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by djglenn View Post
Thanks for the replies, rep+ to you all.

Alot of mixed views on this one then :)

I might just get it and try it out, or I might try Dragon Age - Orgins....

tbh, ME2 has changed my views on games, as I have been playing nothing but FPS lately. ME2 was a refreshing break, and reminded me of past times like FFVII and Diablo II.

Any other recomendations out their? I tried Oblivion a while back, but thought it was pants.
Get it anyway, its very cheap for a great game. Other games - the STALKER series is very good, especially Call of Pripyat.

·
Registered
550 Posts
ME1 has a great story!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
ME1 was great, if you can get it for $10 or less I say go for it. Anything higher, and I probably wouldn't bother. It'll definitely be worth it to play through ME1 and then import your character into ME2. It's the way to go. Also Dragon Age Origins is another fantastic game. You really can't go wrong with BioWare.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts