Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Everyone

My last case mod "The Clone" was a major failure. But this one is going to be completed

I want to thank Syrillian for all the support and encouragement he provided leading up to this build.

What is this build all about ?

This build is going to be a simple tech station. I have two more mods "ANT" and "Clone - Resurrected" lined up. I need something to put all the hardware for these mods, test the WC loop and overclock.

Why call it Storm ?

Well 2 reasons actually.
1. I couldn't think of a better name.
2. I started the mod on a day when everything outside my house looks like this ...

Why was "The Clone" shelved ?

To put it simply. I was broke. I still am. but I have now graduated and found a job. So I will have a lot more disposable cash at hand starting next year. (Thats when the other two projects start)

If you are broke, where did you find the money to start this mod ?

Syrillian very very generously shipped 16 pounds of acrylic all the way from CA to MA all free of cost to me. All the acrylic used in this mod is what Syrillian donated to me.
Cant thank him enough for that

Alright enough.. Can we get to the details now ?

Yes sure, This one is a very simple tech station. Its dimensions are 12" x 12 " x 6"
it will be capable of holding 2 independent loops. One on each side. I have configured it to hold a 240 rad on each side. but you can put a 360 in there without problems.

Internally It will hold two harddrives and one DVD drive. No fan controller for now. I might add one later.

I have already cut, sanded and polished all the acrylic needed for this mod. So this log is going to be more of assembling rather than designing or fabricating..

Without further delay lets get to it

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reserved for updates and final pictures

1. Update 1 : Starting the Build

I finished the build.. Here are the completed pictures. I will add some more with the the hardware in.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off.. All the acrylic that Syr shipped to me

My white board drawing of how this should look when completed..

2 individual loops.. one on each side. the pump and reservoir go on the sides.
The dimensions of the main compartment are 12" x 12" x 6"
The rad holders extend to 6" on each side.

Because the weather was soo crappy outside. I had to do all the sanding in house. No workshop for me

A cement block and lots of newspaper in my bedroom

Motherboard stand-offs

I had to increase the height of the standoffs so that I could tuck the PSU cable underneath the board.
I used two 1/2" acrylic squares. drilled them and superglued the standoffs to the piece.

The hard -drive holders. I bent a 1/2" red acrylic rod for this.

and this is how they will work ...

Fan holes on the side panels sanded and polished

A part of the back panel bonded to the base

The motherboard tray will the stand-off's mounted. The big 120mm hole will sit directly above the PSU. It will be used to route all the cables.
The second fan hole will sit directly above the harddrives. It will have a 80mm fan to cool the harddrives..

The left panel.. with the harddrive mounts bonded to it... Two harddrives will sit inclined at a 40 degree angle. Identical mounts will be bonded to the middle panel.

More to come soon

Thanks for watching
-wasted

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
Project StormX2 =?

After making this Project, You can come up with a StormX2 for me =)

though not really, i do not hassle with Water Cooling.

Cant wait to see Completed Project though, Good luck!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamikaze127 View Post
Looks good, I'm totally subbing because it's named after me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
Looks GREAT!

Wow!... how did you bend the red-rod? At first I was like, "hmmm... where did he get red acrylic door handles?"... then I read the caption.

Awesome job!

I used the standard technique of heating up the rod and bending it. Its not perfect though slight pressure variations while bending the rod lead to small imperfections.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
This should be very nice! I like the bent rods for the HDD mounts!

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
nice work so far, looking forward to more

thats a fair bit of acrylic that Mr. Syrillian sent to you for free. I am wondering if one day he's gonna call in the favor, and you'll find yourself wearing a jet-pac, a butler suit, and a monkey suit

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler View Post

thats a fair bit of acrylic that Mr. Syrillian sent to you for free. I am wondering if one day he's gonna call in the favor, and you'll find yourself wearing a jet-pac, a butler suit, and a monkey suit

Flying Monkey Butlers FTW!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler View Post

If I can play around with his builds I might consider that

·
Is he still around?!
11,240 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler
View Post

Quote:

View Post

you might not have a choice, ever seen the "guns" on that man?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

Ah!

Chloroform.

Never a dull moment in the Modding forums!!

Wasted, this is looking great man, I am SO subb'ed!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

View Post

you might not have a choice, ever seen the "guns" on that man?

Quote:

View Post

ROFL... not my way...

What I might do is to lay a trail of CPU's or hardware components to a large acrylic box that is propped up on a stick that has a string attached....

Once trapped, the being inside is mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid
View Post

Looks like he might be able to route himself free though...and bars are no good...you can see he easily bends them.

Sticky trap

Quote:

View Post

Ah!

Chloroform.

Omg.. If I disappear tomorrow, you guys know where to look for me . (Not sure if anyone will even notice
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by noob eater4726
View Post

I wouldn't say the Clone was a complete failure.

I'm not missing this build!

Thanks noob, Completed pictures commin soon

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Looks good! It sure was might nice of Syrillian to send you so much acrylic. Hhmmm..

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.