Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I may be looking to trade my new (~1 month old) Powercolor R9 390 8gb PCS+ for a Nvidia GTX 970 4gb + $$$. What would an appropriate amount of money (if any) be for the 970 owner to include in the trade?

Thanks,
-ChickenInferno

·
What should be here ?
5,926 Posts
This isn't an appraisal from my side, but I'd like to know why you'd be trading a 390 for a 970 if both are in the same performance bracket. Also, sorry if you have mentioned, but I wouldn't like to through your post history so explanation here would give me more color.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the advantages of the 390 is the 8gb of vram, which everyone should generically want in case they want to upgrade their monitor to 1440 or higher. I am stuck on a 47" 1080p 60Hz tv and will be for the next 3-5 years so the added vram doesn't really do me much good.

The main reason for the swap is that I have multiple driver issues: 1) Audio through HDMI with an AMD card is a nightmare. I will randomly get popup messages when trying to load a video saying that 'Another App is currently controlling the audio." I have found several "solutions" online and none of them survive a single reboot. I have tried clean installs of the driver, allowing windows to install the driver rather than me installing CCC, older versions of the driver, and generic windows drivers (which CCC overrides). It seems like every time I try to watch anything or have two videos open (paused player and opening youtube) everything will stop working. Only solution so far is to use the optical out from my motherboard, but I still have driver issues because the gpu still attempts to send the audio through the hdmi port. I have had to uninstall the hdmi audio driver and disable it in order to get it to stop...but optical cables do not appear to support 5.1 surround (like I have setup)

2) I have a wireless mouse at a distance of <5 feet. The video driver will cause apparent lag in the signal (This sounds crazy, but I will explain). At various points, I will move the mouse and the cursor on the screen will stop moving or the icon will jerk from spot to spot. This issue appeared right at the same time that I got the gpu and I thought that the batteries in the mouse were dying. I swapped the batteries, but it didn't get better. I thought maybe the mouse itself was dying so I bought the overpowered Logitech Marathon, which has an advertised range of 32' and is 1000dpi. This new mouse has the same exact issues. Installing my trusty 750 Ti 2Gb with a clean driver install makes this issue go away completely. The only solutions I've found online for how to fix this issue were to ~"fix gpu driver issue."

I had a 750 Ti for ~2.5 years without any issues at all. The 390 is incredibly powerful, but the driver issues are making me want to jump ship back to nvidia. With the 970 being in a similar performance bracket and a slightly cheaper price, I thought it would be a good trade.

Edit: I though I had done a very clean uninstall of the nvidia drivers to prevent conflicts, but I decided to give Adraps comment below a try (use DDU). DDU immediately asked if I wanted to uninstall my old Nvidia GTX 750 Ti 2gb ::facepalm:: I wiped both the nvidia and amd drivers off and then installed the newest amd driver. The mouse issue is completely gone and the audio problem appears to be gone as well....I believe I will be keeping the card now.

·
What should be here ?
5,926 Posts
Ooh, fair enough. Free bump

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
The other guy should probably add about 20 bucks or so, although it does depend on the exact model of 970 you are going to trade for.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just get the 970. AMD drivers suck anyways. I wouldn't even try to see if it's a problem on your end or with that particular card. The latest crimson 15.12 drivers are filled with glitches.
rolleyes.gif
I don't fanboy to often.......maybe it's the coffee this morning. nvm ignore this comment. I'm being an *******.
biggrin.gif
If you look at my rig it's an all amd build. surprise! .............bipolar disorder mania...........why!!!!?
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
98 Posts
Seriously though, if it was me I'd do a lot more digging to see if it is something wrong with the power color card itself. I'm running the latest crimson drivers on an R9 290 without issue. Then again that's my own situation and motherboard. I'd still take 8gb over an advertised 4 gb any day. I hope everything turns out well. It sucks that this card doesn't seem to be working out for you, have you tried DDU? It sounds like an issue with the card to me. It would be safer returning to nvidia and having everything work out right, than to get another 390 and still have the same issues. It's a gamble I'm a person who has only ever had trouble with nvidia drivers, so take that with a huge grain of salt! To each his own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts