Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys

This is really annoying, and I don't know how to fix it :|.

What I have here:

1 newish laptop
2 old desktops
2 10m ethernet cables attached to a network switch

Both ethernet cables work just fine when I plug them into my laptop. The laptop notifies me and tells me its connected. However when I plug either ethernet cable in the 2 desktops, they don't work

The link light doesn't come on, both PCs have the network drivers installed, and both of them just say no network cable connected.
One of the 2 PCs has been connected with a shorter cable for weeks, but doesn't want to detect a 10m cable.

I am totally confused. Any help or ideas on why this may be would be appreciated
thanks

Tom

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Have you checked to see if it was a hardware problem? Try using the cable you use for the laptop with the desktops and see if they connect. If they do, maybe you need to go get other Ethernet cables.

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
your ethernet cables might not be wired properly. Newer hardware, especially ASUS boards can figure it out but it will just confuse older computers.

Try setting the speed duplex to 10mbps and not autonegociation.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post
your ethernet cables might not be wired properly. Newer hardware, especially ASUS boards can figure it out but it will just confuse older computers.

Hi
How would I do that?

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Does the network card shows up in device manager on the desktop? Do you see any lights on the network card when you plug the cable into the desktop?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post

Device properties > Advanced | gives me no option to change the Speed duplex.

Quote:
Does the network card shows up in device manager on the desktop? Do you see any lights on the network card when you plug the cable into the desktop?
It's onboard. And yeah, it shows up in device manager, but no light comes on when cable is plugged in both ends.

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by colo View Post
Hi
How would I do that?

Its pretty annoying to change ethernet cables, you have to line up all the little wires into the RJ45 connector and then clamp it with a special tool...

I hate it

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Quote:

It's onboard. And yeah, it shows up in device manager, but no light comes on when cable is plugged in both ends.

Try going into your properties for your network card and check out power management tab. Make sure you're not allowing the computer to turn it off.

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
Is there a X or ? going thru the nic's in device manager?Try uninstalling & rebooting.

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
Quote:

are you sure? Have you in the advance tab you should see a big load of selections and one of them is speed and duplex.

Also the latest chipset drivers from amd or nvidia will help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts