Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am so new to this it is frightening. I wanted a new graphics card on Friday. By today I had bought a new Case, MB, Processor, Ram, SSD and a Graphics card.

I took the PSU from my old PC and added the rest to my new case a iCute ATX model. There are a few wires inside what I dont know what to do with. Any advice really appriciated!

The MB has connectors for

FPanel, PWR LED, PWR BTN, +HD_LED, RESET

The case has

PW > I've conected to PWR BTN - works
RESET > RESET - works
+HDD with a thermometer attacted > unconnected but tried on +HD_LED
+HDD> Unconnected but tried on +HD_LED

There are also some cables with Molex connectors on which I have no idea how to get power to as my PSU has SATA Power conectors.

The LEDs are not lighting up, nor is the power button or the LCD display. The fan at the back somehow connects to the other Molex wires buy I cant get juice there so I just put an old fan in which connects straight to the MB.

Any ideas welcoed. The PC works fine, great fun medleing, Ill not by a prebuild ever again!
 

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsy View Post

Hi All

I am so new to this it is frightening. I wanted a new graphics card on Friday. By today I had bought a new Case, MB, Processor, Ram, SSD and a Graphics card.

I took the PSU from my old PC and added the rest to my new case a iCute ATX model. There are a few wires inside what I dont know what to do with. Any advice really appriciated!

The MB has connectors for

FPanel, PWR LED, PWR BTN, +HD_LED, RESET

The case has

PW > I've conected to PWR BTN - works
RESET > RESET - works
+HDD with a thermometer attacted > unconnected but tried on +HD_LED
+HDD> Unconnected but tried on +HD_LED

There are also some cables with Molex connectors on which I have no idea how to get power to as my PSU has SATA Power conectors.

The LEDs are not lighting up, nor is the power button or the LCD display. The fan at the back somehow connects to the other Molex wires buy I cant get juice there so I just put an old fan in which connects straight to the MB.

Any ideas welcoed. The PC works fine, great fun medleing, Ill not by a prebuild ever again!
Lets start off here: What case you said "iCute ATX" what model and what motherboard?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nick

The case was from Maplin and the model number is non existent on Google search. I think I know whats happening after more research.

Im guessing the Case molex connectors want juice from the PSU. The PSU has two spare three pins coming out it, the 3 SATAs are all used. I have seen a 3pin to Molex connector on the web so Im guessing this could be the solution. Buy two of those and get juice into the molex connectors.

The board is an ASUS p8H61-MX. Once I get the power sorted should I just connect one of the HDD connectors from the case?

Thanks for your help!
 

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsy View Post

Hi Nick

The case was from Maplin and the model number is non existent on Google search. I think I know whats happening after more research.

Im guessing the Case molex connectors want juice from the PSU. The PSU has two spare three pins coming out it, the 3 SATAs are all used. I have seen a 3pin to Molex connector on the web so Im guessing this could be the solution. Buy two of those and get juice into the molex connectors.

The board is an ASUS p8H61-MX. Once I get the power sorted should I just connect one of the HDD connectors from the case?

Thanks for your help!
Are the molex connectors from the case the case fans?
 

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grmadness View Post

Hi. Which graphics card,CPU,and most importantly,which PSU?
I was going to get to that, didn't want to overwhelm him/her.
smile.gif


Dogsy: Please list in detail what components are going in your case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick and Madness, thanks.

I'll start agian!

Mother board P8H61-MX
CPU Intel i5 3470 3.6Ghz
Graphics Asus Geoforce GT630 2GB
Ram 8GB
PSU from my old Pentium Dual Core not sure watt power, i'm guessing not enough!

Wires

From PSU


3x SATA to DVD, SDD and HDD

2 x 3pin not connected

From Case

3 pin from front panel behind LCD display connected to 3 pin running to front fan which also has a Molex Male with 1 x Red and 1 x Blk wires with no connections

Molex Male from front panel with 1x Yellow 1 x Red 1x Blk wires out to Molex Female with 1 x Yellow 1x Red 2 x Blk wire no connections

Molex Female from front panel 1 x White 1 x Red wire no connections

Rear fan 1 x Blk 1 x Red wire to Molex Male out to Molex Female 1x Yellow 1 x Red 1x Blk wires

Not sure wehther the Back fan connects to the corresponding from=nt molex once it gets juice.

Connector wires from front panel to mother board


Labels on wires from Case front panel

H.D.D. LED
H.D.D. LED +-
Power SW
Reset SW

Labels on Mother board
PWR LED PWR BTN
+HD_LED RESET

Plus there are two connectors labled F. Panel

I hope that makes sense. I feel a visit to the PSU shop coming on!
 

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsy View Post

Nick and Madness, thanks.

I'll start agian!

Mother board P8H61-MX
CPU Intel i5 3470 3.6Ghz
Graphics Asus Geoforce GT630 2GB
Ram 8GB
PSU from my old Pentium Dual Core not sure watt power, i'm guessing not enough!

Wires

From PSU

3x SATA to DVD, SDD and HDD

2 x 3pin not connected

From Case

3 pin from front panel behind LCD display connected to 3 pin running to front fan which also has a Molex Male with 1 x Red and 1 x Blk wires with no connections

Molex Male from front panel with 1x Yellow 1 x Red 1x Blk wires out to Molex Female with 1 x Yellow 1x Red 2 x Blk wire no connections

Molex Female from front panel 1 x White 1 x Red wire no connections

Rear fan 1 x Blk 1 x Red wire to Molex Male out to Molex Female 1x Yellow 1 x Red 1x Blk wires

Not sure wehther the Back fan connects to the corresponding from=nt molex once it gets juice.

Connector wires from front panel to mother board

Labels on wires from Case front panel

H.D.D. LED
H.D.D. LED +-
Power SW
Reset SW

Labels on Mother board
PWR LED PWR BTN
+HD_LED RESET

Plus there are two connectors labled F. Panel

I hope that makes sense. I feel a visit to the PSU shop coming on!
We're going to help get you going but we'll do it slowly.

Can you identify your case from any of the photos here and if so click on it and furnish us with the link: https://www.google.com/search?q=iCute+ATX&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=avchUdiKBKa10AH6h4DgAQ&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=980&bih=527

Also your PSU has a label on its side that identifies the model and wattage as most PSU's do, please read it and at least try to find the model number and furnish us with it here.

Be patient and hopefully we'll get you going.

Your motherboard comes with a manual and in it will tell you where to hook up the: HDD LED + and -, Power SW, Reset SW. If you don't a manual go to the ASUS website and download the manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Nick

Found it, this one

http://au.shopping.com/iCute-iCute-0701SL-Middle-Tower-Case-SECC-Material-5-25-3-5-Drive-Bays-USB-Audio-ATX-0701SL-4GA-BB/info

At work now so will check the PSU later, it ios about 2 years old I think a new one will make sense. No point buuyng all the nice stuff and having a poor PSU. Any recommendations on what to get would be great.

The manual only says what you can see in the pic below which doesn't match up with the labels on the case wires.



Thanks for your help, I'm rubbish at patience :)

I was going to nip out later and get a new psu.
 

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsy View Post

Hi Nick

Found it, this one

http://au.shopping.com/iCute-iCute-0701SL-Middle-Tower-Case-SECC-Material-5-25-3-5-Drive-Bays-USB-Audio-ATX-0701SL-4GA-BB/info

At work now so will check the PSU later, it ios about 2 years old I think a new one will make sense. No point buuyng all the nice stuff and having a poor PSU. Any recommendations on what to get would be great.

The manual only says what you can see in the pic below which doesn't match up with the labels on the case wires.



Thanks for your help, I'm rubbish at patience :)

I was going to nip out later and get a new psu.
Good we're starting to get someplace. LOL!

Your manual page makes plenty of sense to me and it does have what you need. See each of those plugs that are labeled from the case for the HDD, Power and Reset have 2 wires each with one is positive and the other negative.

Also the case, if I can locate a manual online it would help a bit, but those temperature sensors I never cared for them. You have to get those wires "close to" whatever source it's supposed to be reading. I'd rather use software to get temperature reading for my tastes.

And as far as a PSU, we need to figure out what capacity is going to be needed now (I'll see what your GPU's power requirements are later) and you need to figure out what is needed in the future if you do upgrades for instance to your GPU x 1 or 2 or 3 with a different motherboard of course so to get the correct one now. Being that I don't know what PSU is available in your country I'm going to post a link from OCN that is for the recommended PSU's and I would look into those with at least a GOLD rating and a long warranty if feasible as it pays to buy good and not to cheap out on a PSU - this is a phrase you'll hear a lot which is true. Please read that first page and the listings, here's the link: http://www.overclock.net/t/183810/faq-recommended-power-supplies/0_100

EDIT: Your current GPU requires a 450 watt minimum PSU - this is for now then add in whatever else hardware and calculate for possible future upgrades.

Lets please discuss the PSU wattage capacity you should look for before you purchase a PSU.

Also "un-rubbish" yourself about not having patience
tongue.gif
as rushing it may have not so great results especially that you're doing this for the first time. Slow is good!
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nick

Thanks for your help, I got a corsair cx550w

Guy in the shop said enough for what I had put in the case.

i give you my first born, I have a feeling this is the start of something...



PC well fast!! SSD is so quick. Only issue is an intermitent hum when the speakers are plugged in so I've unplugged for now.
 

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsy View Post

Nick

Thanks for your help, I got a corsair cx550w

Guy in the shop said enough for what I had put in the case.

i give you my first born, I have a feeling this is the start of something...



PC well fast!! SSD is so quick. Only issue is an intermitent hum when the speakers are plugged in so I've unplugged for now.
Hmmmmm.......I may pass on the first born as it costs plenty to raise kids these days.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif


So I take it that the guy in the shop helped finish the remaining issues/questions you had?

If so I hope he showed you what he did so you know for any future builds or upgrades.

Glad you got a 550 watt PSU as that GPU had a minimum 450 watt PSU requirement.

Yeah it's fast I know with my i7 2700k is nice with the SSD together "makes beautiful music".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No I just asked him if 550w was enough he said yes. The rest was your work, I just kinda followed what you said and voila!
 

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsy View Post

No I just asked him if 550w was enough he said yes. The rest was your work, I just kinda followed what you said and voila!
Hope that the PSU wattage will be enough if you ever decide to upgrade your hardware in the future.

Happy to hear that you figured it out as that's the best way to learn and you probably feel good that you did it! We more experienced people started like you, so take this as an experience that you can put to use at a later date. Please save your receipts in case of hardware failure for potential RMA-ing, hopefully you'll never need to.

Doing it slow (did you?) and having patience pays off most of the time.

Now I'll send you a more complicated setup for you to put together to do as a test, are you up to it?
tongue.gif
j/k
biggrin.gif


Enjoy your new rig in great health!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsy View Post

Nick

Thanks for your help, I got a corsair cx550w

Guy in the shop said enough for what I had put in the case.
as far as PSU goes, it's more about the quality of the PSU then the wattage. i did not see the CX550 in the OCN recommended PSU list so i can only assume it's not that great of a unit even tho corsair put their sticker on it. the wattage is not the issue. it's more about the quality of the PSU that is in question on your build.
 

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsy View Post

Nick

Thanks for your help, I got a corsair cx550w

Guy in the shop said enough for what I had put in the case.
as far as PSU goes, it's more about the quality of the PSU then the wattage. i did not see the CX550 in the OCN recommended PSU list so i can only assume it's not that great of a unit even tho corsair put their sticker on it. the wattage is not the issue. it's more about the quality of the PSU that is in question on your build.
No offense to anyone:

This is why I asked the OP to discuss the PSU purchase with me but he already purchased it without any consultation - his choice.

That CX550 PSU unit is Corsair's lower end line and no offense to the OP. It's not a terrible PSU but better could've been had for a bump up in price of course. You get what you pay for as they say.

I would have tried to steer him to the Seasonic "X" GOLD series - just so much better and a 7 year warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No offence taken by me, it was very good of you to offer your advice Nick and it helped clarify my thoughts re Molex connectors and the MB connectors. I w!ould have waited for your final peice of info but I said was impatient!

I cant argue that a better PSU would be good long term nbut I think this unit will cope as I dont plan to further expand, I'm going to put this one in my office and build a bigger one!!!!

Will defo plan my next build more efficiently, read up on here and await feedback when you are kind enough to offer your time. I reckon an i7 next :))
thumb.gif
 

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsy View Post

No offence taken by me, it was very good of you to offer your advice Nick and it helped clarify my thoughts re Molex connectors and the MB connectors. I w!ould have waited for your final peice of info but I said was impatient!

I cant argue that a better PSU would be good long term nbut I think this unit will cope as I dont plan to further expand, I'm going to put this one in my office and build a bigger one!!!!

Will defo plan my next build more efficiently, read up on here and await feedback when you are kind enough to offer your time. I reckon an i7 next :))
thumb.gif
So now you're going to sprout your wings and build a "badder" rig hmmmm.......
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif


You need to learn one thing though.

You guess.

smile.gif
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top