Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was wondering if the tape fix works on pretty much all optical sensors then why don't manufacturers make a transparent plastic sheet covering the hole of the sensor? The reason I ask this is because I have to pretty much blow the dust out of the optical sensor on a daily basis. My mouse specifically (spawn) has an optical lens that seems like it is designed to pick up dust.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't think that would work. The whole point of the tape fix is to reflect a lot more light back into the sensor to force the normal light level threshold to be a lot higher than otherwise, making the sensor ignore low-lit surfaces such as those that are farther away.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think there is a misconception in many heads about the "tape-fix".
It does not work BECAUSE of the transparency of the tape many use, but seems to work EVEN with some available transparent tapes.
A common transparent tape here in germany "tesa-film", doesn't do anything to the LOD at all, so i would go for non-transparent tapes anytime.

I guess it works actually like this(i hope you can interpretate it, the green thing is the tape):

MRAael.jpg

non-transparent paket-sealing tape is nice, as its very thin aswell:
N2MDbl.jpg

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
In other words, it filters light so only a smaller quantity passes through, less light is reflected making it more difficult for the sensor to pick up movement at higher altitudes. Similar to how thermal vision works - less heat, smaller reading?

Ah ok its just blocking light so once the rays pass a certain height due to the angle, there should be no light for the sensor to track on.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
When you lift off the mouse, the illuminated spot on the surface moves up on the surface, and the tracking stops in the moment when no light gets focused into the sensorchip anymore.
Without the tape, the illuminated spot reaches also infront of the point which get focused into the sensorchip, and when lifting off the mouse it wanders throught the focus point and sensor still gets images from the surface.

edit: ah
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkraptor View Post

@thuNDa: I agree that non-transparent tape works the way you described, but there are other variations with transparent tape that cover the whole mouse sensor hole.
hmm, never seen those.
If i used that "tesa-film", i could tape 10 layers over the hole and nothing would happen(did that back then when i heard about tape fix).

edit: maybe one could tape some transparent tape over the hole then after using non-transparent in the way i described to get rid of dust .

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wouldn't any semi-transparent tape that covers the whole sensor array reduce sensor tracking performance? Because you are effectively causing artificial interference in the sensor images. I can't see this being a good idea. Maybe one of the sensor experts can shed light on this isssue.

The partial cover with non-transparent tape seems like the more elegant and sound solution to me. Although i am wondering why manufacturers don't implement something like that from the start. It wouldn't be hard to extend the outer shell a bit so it covers up the "excess" light from the led.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You're probably right in that it interferes. Many people have said that they feel the mouse has less DPI once they apply the transparent tape fix. I am not using this fix for this reason.

To fix the LOD issue, all that the manufacturers would have to do (especially Avago) is use a proper lens with a low angle, almost horizontal LED light guide. For example my old MX300 has a light beam like this:

Whereas the recent mice have been using a lens/light beam like this:

It's pretty obvious that the more horizontal the beam, the less distance you have to lift the mouse for the light footprint to move from under the sensor. Then again this would take a lot more space inside the mouse.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think manufacturers haven't made completely sealed housings cause it would be very difficult to completely seal that to avoid dust into the compartment. Anyway, the compartment would have to be made of some kind of crystal to avoid scratches (that will appear if you use cloth surfaces), and that's expensive.

Nice explanation of the tape trick (that has nothing to do with the topic title BTW).
http://www.esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=2081569

1 - 10 of 10 Posts