Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I run "Disk Cleanup" under system tools, I regularly have a decent amount of "Compress old files" that takes quite a bit of time to delete.

Could someone explain to me what these are, and how (if possible) to stop these files from being compressed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Actually, the Compress Old Files doesn't delete them, but selects files that haven't been accessed for a long time and compresses them. It's usually a flawed process that will slowdown your system after it completes the process. It'll slow it down somewhat because when the system tries to access those files, it has to decompress it first to access it. Personally, I'd ignore that function of the Disk Cleanup program.

Xaine99

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaine99

Actually, the Compress Old Files doesn't delete them, but selects files that haven't been accessed for a long time and compresses them. It's usually a flawed process that will slowdown your system after it completes the process. It'll slow it down somewhat because when the system tries to access those files, it has to decompress it first to access it. Personally, I'd ignore that function of the Disk Cleanup program.

Xaine99

Interesting
is there a way to turn it off or to uncompress all the stuff i have been compressing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts