Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I've decided that it's finally time to get some form of certification under my belt. I'm due to take the A+ test at either the end of this week or the beginning of next.

I've got a very firm grasp on network topology, infrastructure, etc and I'm quite familiar with printers and such, but what are other things that would be important for me to focus on studying? I've made flashcards to memorize IRQs, DMAs, and I/Os, so that shouldn't be much of a problem...

Any tips, advice, suggestions, etc would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
you should sleep on whatever you are learning. that always helps in long term memory for me at least....

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm currently taking an Information systems Admin course..includes Comp TIA A+, sysco, novell, and network pluss, each cert is separate of course
anyway I'm writing my A+ at the end of the week as well, I've got the I/O's and IRQ's down, I also made sure to do a nice study chart on basic subnetting (even though it isnt covered much in A+) I've also memorized the pin count's for all memory types, SIMM, DIMM, MicroDIMM, SODIMM. Having good trouble shooting skills is very helpfull as far as answering hardware error questions goes. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx this can be helpfull too, I made sure to make a small list of the more common error codes, such as general VGA errors, ps/2, usb, sata. Most questions that I've gotten on my tests thus far have been more on software then hardware. Such as windows install methods and steps. Knowing how to configure user accounts and backups, using the recovery console to remove and replace corrupt system files. And of course knowing a bit of Dos is very helpful
and Is also a small part of A+.
Apologies for the long rant xD hopefully I was able to give some insight into what may be on the test for ya =p are you taking the 701-702 tests?

• Rep+
Reactions: V!le

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Don't freak yourself out with regards to the A+ test... even if they have changed it since I took it, I doubt they've made it much / any harder. I took the test in late 2003, and finished both sections in ~15 minutes.

If you can put together your own system, have several years of progressive experience (i.e. able to identify difference between PCIe x1/x4/x8/x16 slots, PCI slots, AGP slots, etc) and are generally comfortable with computers, you should be fine.

I took it when I didn't know a tenth of what I do now with regards to computers... So you should be fine

·
Registered
67 Posts
easy as hell too bad a job with just an A+ cert will only pay 10 bux per hour....but hey you gotta start somewhere

1 - 6 of 6 Posts