Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

Found this on Compubench.
Among the results we can see that GTX 1080 is 45% faster in graphics than GTX 980Ti using OpenCL.
Bitcoin mining performance is 3x as much.
Dont know what the rest are, but there is huge increase there as well.

https://compubench.com/benchmark.jsp
Well done Nvidia , Pascal is putting a good show so far. Still wouldn't buy it myself but they did good.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would be good news if Bitcoin mining on GPUs was still profitable. Wonder if the performance increase is transferable to the other mining types?

·
2,327 Posts
Will it boost AMD PureHair?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Man, I wanted to wait on upgrading my GTX 690 to a 1080 Ti, or fingers crossed 1090, but I don't think I can wait :x

·
Registered
743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltur View Post

You forgot to set both benchmarks in the comparison to the same OS.

Edit: A more meaningful comparison can be seen here.
wow yeah big difference when both running windows. gap isn't as large.

·
Newsfiend
2,422 Posts
Quote:

And you get the best first post award for GPU anticipation season 2016

·
Registered
989 Posts
Quote:

Huh, they're both OS X & the gap is vast between them.

I don't see why that's a bad comparison or is it just the usual OS X/Mac OCN bashing?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post

Huh, they're both OS X & the gap is vast between them.

I don't see why that's a bad comparison or is it just the usual OS X/Mac OCN bashing?
What OS do most gamers use who purchase a GTX 1080? Why wouldn't a comparison on an OS platform that most gamers use be used instead of an OS few use for gaming. Quit playing the victim, bro.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-shot View Post

What OS do most gamers use who purchase a GTX 1080? Why wouldn't a comparison on an OS platform that most gamers use be used instead of an OS few use for gaming. Quit playing the victim, bro.
This has nothing to with gaming it's a compute performance comparison......

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Quote:

This has nothing to with gaming it's a compute performance comparison......
So if OS doesn't matter, the scores should be the same. Wait, scores aren't the same. You're being emotional and playing the victim, again.

Why are you against a fair comparison across multiple OSs? It seems you'd rather mislead users to protect your emotional attachment to one OS.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Quote:

So if OS doesn't matter, the scores should be the same. Wait, scores aren't the same. You're being emotional and playing the victim, again.

Why are you against a fair comparison across multiple OSs? It seems you'd rather mislead users to protect your emotional attachment to one OS.
The user I quoted claimed it wasn't the same OS being used on both, yet the comparison image in the first post shows them both as OS X.

So it is a fair comparison, I've never once said I'm against comparing the scores on Windows/other OS, all i said was the user who i quoted was wrong as the first post is both as OS X.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Quote:

The user I quoted claimed it wasn't the same OS being used on both, yet the comparison image in the first post shows them both as OS X.

So it is a fair comparison, I've never once said I'm against comparing the scores on Windows/other OS, all i said was the user who i quoted was wrong as the first post is both as OS X.
It's a fair comparison in OSX...gamers use Windows so the comparison is meaningless. I don't foresee many people buying a GTX 1080 for Mac for compute purposes.

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Quote:

It's a fair comparison in OSX...gamers use Windows so the comparison is meaningless. I don't foresee many people buying a GTX 1080 for Mac for compute purposes.
Would it be meaningless if it was Ubuntu/other Linux distro?

Also I think you'd be surprised people buying high end GPUs for Mac's useful for physics simulations, graphics rendering, video production/conversion etc

·
2,327 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, you can't even change the GPU in the new Mac Pro. It will be too hard for hipsters to do anyway
wink.gif

·
Registered
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robot View Post

Yeah, you can't even change the GPU in the new Mac Pro. It will be too hard for hipsters to do anyway
wink.gif
There we go, there it is 2 pages in & the Mac user bashing beings.

Oh OCN you never change

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Quote:

Would it be meaningless if it was Ubuntu/other Linux distro?

Also I think you'd be surprised people buying high end GPUs for Mac's useful for physics simulations, graphics rendering, video production/conversion etc
You miss the point. This is OCN. Most of the site is gaming. A comparison for a very small percentage of users is pointless for the very large majority of users on THIS site.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts