Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Just a Crazy Cat in a Box
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-shot View Post

You miss the point. This is OCN. Most of the site is gaming. A comparison for a very small percentage of users is pointless for the very large majority of users on THIS site.
Still does not mean there are not individuals on this site that be interested in such benchmarks.

I'm very interested in compute benchmarks since gaming with video cards is 3rd or 4th on the list when I buy them since I heavily use mine in compute, folding, and boincing.

This hopefully means that the next Ti and Titans may be compute beast then. If so I may actually buy one since I be glad for the compute this time not being gimped like they did with the last wannabe Titan.

·
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn_819 View Post

When it's a matter of bitcoin mining or folding, I'll use whichever OS gives better performance. For folding, that was Linux for a long time.
Indeed. My folder stays permanently in Linux. Most the peeps over in TC use Linux just for the extra points it gives. I actually use it when I BOINC since I get better performance from that OS.

I actually like overclocking in Linux since it straight up built in the Nvidia drivers. XServer is so simple to use. Just have to do a little more work when you have more than one GPU though.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Less complaining, toss more OS's into the mix and compare them all with more unicorn graphs and platypus spreadsheets!

·
Jedi Knight
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post

Huh, they're both OS X & the gap is vast between them.

I don't see why that's a bad comparison or is it just the usual OS X/Mac OCN bashing?
headscratch.gif

Where are you seeing that they are both set to OS X? It clearly says Windows under the 1080 and OS X under the 980 Ti. Keltur is correct, it's a flawed comparison and the link he provided shows the numbers are much closer. In fact, if you click on his link and try to change the 1080's OS, you will see there isn't even an OS X selection...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithanul View Post

Still does not mean there are not individuals on this site that be interested in such benchmarks.

I'm very interested in compute benchmarks since gaming with video cards is 3rd or 4th on the list when I buy them since I heavily use mine in compute, folding, and boincing.

This hopefully means that the next Ti and Titans may be compute beast then. If so I may actually buy one since I be glad for the compute this time not being gimped like they did with the last wannabe Titan.
You didn't even bother to follow the argument. The original was in OSX, and someone changed it to Windows to make the results relevant to the very large majority of users on OCN. It appears you use Windows. I'm advocating for users like yourself, and I who use our video cards for more than just gaming, on Windows.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

True, for a better comparison go and switch the 980TI to the one running Windows.

https://compubench.com/compare.jsp?benchmark=compu15d&did1=26277507&os1=Windows&api1=cl&hwtype1=dGPU&hwname1=NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+980+Ti

OS does affect some of the benchmarks, like bitcoin mining a lot.

So it becomes 1056.438 mHash/s (1080) vs 769.191 mHash/s (980TI)

btw Windows is crappy OS description... I assume thats Win10?
Using OSX instead of windows also changes theses number substantially. The difference between the 980 ti and 1080 aren't as big when both are on windows. If you don't believe me then check out the link

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Less fighting more on-topic discussion. This is VERY interesting to MANY out there.

Contrary to what was said before BOTH operating systems are of interest to the video production community. We are interested in all comparisons, Windows 980ti to Windows 1080, iOS 980ti to iOS 1080, and also iOS 1080 to Windows 1080.

We want to know about both CUDA and OpenCL. That is just the most popular GPU accelerated production suite, but everyone is doing it now... Like DaVinci which is hogging up VRAM, often asking for 8GB or more to do certain things or it craps out... hopefully this wil be resolved soon, but it adds to the point that things like LOTS of VRAM are important, not something you would think of unless you were gaming in 4k, etc.

In short, we want to know a lot of stuff that is not relevant to gaming and while this is mostly a gaming forum this thread has a subject and it would be cool if people let that be the focus. Please don't make any assumptions, and take your off-topic fights elsewhere.

Thank you kindly.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
503 Posts
Based on what we know of the 1080 so far, what card in the 1000 series do you think will deliver 980ti performance? 1070 or 1060?
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by USlatin View Post

Less fighting more on-topic discussion. This is VERY interesting to MANY out there.

Contrary to what was said before BOTH operating systems are of interest to the video production community. We are interested in all comparisons, Windows 980ti to Windows 1080, iOS 980ti to iOS 1080, and also iOS 1080 to Windows 1080.

We want to know about both CUDA and OpenCL. That is just the most popular GPU accelerated production suite, but everyone is doing it now... Like DaVinci which is hogging up VRAM, often asking for 8GB or more to do certain things or it craps out... hopefully this wil be resolved soon, but it adds to the point that things like LOTS of VRAM are important, not something you would think of unless you were gaming in 4k, etc.

In short, we want to know a lot of stuff that is not relevant to gaming and while this is mostly a gaming forum this thread has a subject and it would be cool if people let that be the focus. Please don't make any assumptions, and take your off-topic fights elsewhere.

Thank you kindly.
thumb.gif
I wasn't trying to be a jerk I was just saying that changing the OS does have a big impact on the scores as shown below if that was even to me
biggrin.gif

1080 (Windows) vs 980 TI (OSX) comparison
1080 (Windows) vs 980 TI (Windows) comparison

·
Registered
771 Posts
OP might want to edit his post, using different OS's is really misleading here. When both are running on Windows only three of the seven benchmarks show any real improvement, and the improvement is 15-40% instead of 200%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazz View Post

Based on what we know of the 1080 so far, what card in the 1000 series do you think will deliver 980ti performance? 1070 or 1060?
rolleyes.gif
1070? People have been guesstimating whether the 1070 is slightly faster or slower than the Titan X, the 980 ti is practically right there with it.

·
Politically incorrect
9,404 Posts
Every generation we have people who dream of the next mid range being many times faster than the previous generation's best. It would be better to dream of fairies, pixie dust and space dragons than this fantasy.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojara View Post

OP might want to edit his post, using different OS's is really misleading here. When both are running on Windows only three of the seven benchmarks show any real improvement, and the improvement is 15-40% instead of 200%.
Yep, totally agree with you.

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltur View Post

You forgot to set both benchmarks in the comparison to the same OS.

Edit: A more meaningful comparison can be seen here.
Sigh. Thanks.

Didnt notice that yesterday when I was looking around.
Uploaded a picture from videocardz article to OP with correct OS

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
First of all I am glad someone posted this as the compute performance is a lot more important to me than gaming benchmarks and I suspect that there is a lot more that feel the same on OCN, they are just as not as loud as the gamers.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

On the first post O/S is windows on both the 1080 and 980Ti and I am not impressed with the differences, does not seem to be a big difference to me and actually on 1 the 980Ti beats the 1080..

I hope the Large Titan comes and the compute performance is a jump like when the original Titan came out!! but we will see...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I hear the 1080 fertilizes unicorns every time you un-box it on youtube.

So I'm looking at the only GRAPHICS test in the list and it looks like the 1080 isn't any better than the Fury X.

None of us are going to do face detection which looks linked directly to clock speed.

In TV-L1 optical nVidia with twice the clock speed barely exceeds the Fury X.

In Ocean surface the Fury X eats the other cards.

Why is the 980ti better at particles? Seriously?

Video composition, lots of us do that. Fury X serious winner here.

I am SOOOO waiting for a hype-train derailment on the 1080's

·
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-shot View Post

You didn't even bother to follow the argument. The original was in OSX, and someone changed it to Windows to make the results relevant to the very large majority of users on OCN. It appears you use Windows. I'm advocating for users like yourself, and I who use our video cards for more than just gaming, on Windows.
I could care less what happens to Windows since 7 is mostly going to be my last of that OS plate form after support for it drops. I don't even use that as my daily OS anymore.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prjindigo View Post

So I'm looking at the only GRAPHICS test in the list and it looks like the 1080 isn't any better than the Fury X.

None of us are going to do face detection which looks linked directly to clock speed.

I have to admit, you are a PRO...
thumb.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by prjindigo View Post

Yes, because all reviewers will concentrate on OpenCL rather than use Windows.
rolleyes.gif

And yes, 280W Fury X is the best. Its just gotten beaten by a 180W GPU in a framework where AMD have traditionally been better.
rolleyes.gif

21 - 40 of 47 Posts