Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ordered from/ used the Compulow before? They have some killer deals, and showed up on google shopping when looking for a new laptop. I'm extremely skeptical it might be a scam, or hopeful it's a new elections dealer trying to start up by offering great deals.

http://compulow.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=41

Site shows as encrypted, verified by COMODO CA Limited, but run by (Unknown) according to FF on checkout.

Regardless, some of the deals
HP Pavilion Dv4-2160us, Core i5, 4GB, 320GB, 14", $500
Samsung NP-580-JSB1US, Core i5, 4GB, Blu-ray, 15.6" LED, $500
And they have 25 such deals... seems too good to be true to me.

Thoughts? anyone adventurous enough to try buying? or buying something cheap with a prepaid Visa? I may try the latter if I have anything left after my paycheck, work has been stingy as of late.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,954 Posts
Whoa. Everything I am finding about them shows them to be a legit (and really good) seller.

Go for it!

Plus, they're based in Minnesota.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattlplanet
View Post

Has anyone ordered from/ used the Compulow before? They have some killer deals, and showed up on google shopping when looking for a new laptop. I'm extremely skeptical it might be a scam, or hopeful it's a new elections dealer trying to start up by offering great deals.

http://compulow.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=41

Site shows as encrypted, verified by COMODO CA Limited, but run by (Unknown) according to FF on checkout.

Regardless, some of the deals
HP Pavilion Dv4-2160us, Core i5, 4GB, 320GB, 14", $500
Samsung NP-580-JSB1US, Core i5, 4GB, Blu-ray, 15.6" LED, $500
And they have 25 such deals... seems too good to be true to me.

Thoughts? anyone adventurous enough to try buying? or buying something cheap with a prepaid Visa? I may try the latter if I have anything left after my paycheck, work has been stingy as of late.

Well I've seen low prices and have gone for them, but this one seems a bit shady.

Here are my reasons:

1. Pricing is all $500. 95% of all sales are XX.99 or xx.95
2. Items that have different values are all $500, a Macbook is not the same as an Ipad
3. The store was created by an Australian company
4. English = UK English
5. "We do not sell or rent your personal information to others, unless you authorize us to do so"
6. Missing discover for accept CC's image, all you see is . . .
7. Contact us includes no direct emails or phone numbers or fax numbers
8. Google trys to correct Compulow to Compulaw when you search it (google knows if the website is real and has traffic and wouldn't try to correct it)
9. http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...source=profile Shows an address and phone number, but when you call the phone, it is someones personal cell phone
10. http://www.websitecontacts.com/compu...ntact-details/ Notice how the person who registered it wouldn't allow anyone to contact them via mail.

Also, this is the BIGGEST red flag:

Creation Date: 14-Jun-2010
Expiration Date: 14-Jun-2011

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,954 Posts
Alright, then nevermind I guess.

By the way, when Google asks "Did you mean compulaw", it's not trying to say anything about CompuLow. It does this way more often than it should. It isn't because of any information Google may or may not have on CompuLow; it's just some code that they wrote up for people who make typos and spelling mistakes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Buy a cell phone case, or some thing cheap, if all goes well you know its legit I guess.. If I was seriously in the market for a laptop and wanted to try them Id do that first if i was skeptical on their site.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Alright, then nevermind I guess.

By the way, when Google asks "Did you mean compulaw", it's not trying to say anything about CompuLow. It does this way more often than it should. It isn't because of any information Google may or may not have on CompuLow; it's just some code that they wrote up for people who make typos and spelling mistakes.

True, but once a site has X amount of traffic, Google "learns" that this is no longer a typo. Most new sites have this issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ntrlfive
View Post

Buy a cell phone case, or some thing cheap, if all goes well you know its legit I guess.. If I was seriously in the market for a laptop and wanted to try them Id do that first if i was skeptical on their site.

very good idea. do us all a favor

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rszanto
View Post

True, but once a site has X amount of traffic, Google "learns" that this is no longer a typo. Most new sites have this issue.

Well yeah. It's similar to the Search Suggestions and it never means anything.

I saw an image once of a bunch of these "Did you mean" suggestions that were very bizarre and some that were hilarious, but I just can't find it right now.

Anyway, this "Did you mean" feature is more or less a spell checker (at least based on the Google Searches I just performed to try and find this image). It's just cheap Artificial Intelligence.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
CompuLow.com

When 2nd best isn't good enough
Contact Info

* (612) 293-4279
* E-mail Address

Shipping & Payment

* [UPS]

* [Visa]
* [MasterCard]
* [American Express]

About This Store

* Founded: 2009
* Owner: CompuLow

Be In The Know

* Signup for Newsletter

Customer Service

* Return & Exchange Policy
* Privacy Policy
* Shipping & Other Charges

A computer shop without an e-mail contact?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,954 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,954 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well I've seen low prices and have gone for them, but this one seems a bit shady.

Here are my reasons:

1. Pricing is all $500. 95% of all sales are XX.99 or xx.95
2. Items that have different values are all $500, a Macbook is not the same as an Ipad
3. The store was created by an Australian company
4. English = UK English
5. "We do not sell or rent your personal information to others, unless you authorize us to do so"
6. Missing discover for accept CC's image, all you see is . . .
7. Contact us includes no direct emails or phone numbers or fax numbers
8. Google trys to correct Compulow to Compulaw when you search it (google knows if the website is real and has traffic and wouldn't try to correct it)
9. http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...source=profile Shows an address and phone number, but when you call the phone, it is someones personal cell phone
10. http://www.websitecontacts.com/compu...ntact-details/ Notice how the person who registered it wouldn't allow anyone to contact them via mail.

Also, this is the BIGGEST red flag:

Creation Date: 14-Jun-2010
Expiration Date: 14-Jun-2011

The "We accept..." shows this to me:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

The "We accept..." shows this to me:

I see the four . . . . which is next to Amex....even in your attachment.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,954 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I see the four . . . . which is next to Amex....even in your attachment.

Yeah, but what about the four dots?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1ForFrags
View Post

It says "Product not found" every time I click on one of the promos. :/

Try this page:

http://compulow.com/

I'm not getting any problems with their site.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like the deals are dead. I emailed for information about the laptop, and recieved a response this morning. The email answered my question (about weight, wondering if I would even get a response), and stated that it was OOS.

I think the "deals" may have been to draw people to the site, with no intention to sell at the price. About the weird pricing, it was promotions!

Oh well, I figured a $900 laptop for $500 was too good of a deal to be true.I also noticed that this thread is the 3rd listing on google for compulow now, which means the site sees hardly any traffic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.