Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A serious question here, yes.

Why don't many system administrators adjust the monitors to their maximum refresh rate? Almost everytime I use a computer in a university, cafe, library ect., the monitors have a low 60Hz refresh rate. They spend time and money on anti-carpal-tunnel-syndrome keyboards. So why not a take a little extra time to ease the eyes of the employees?

An an even scarier thing...I used to be a janitor and I cleaned office buildings. Every so often when no one was around I'd raise the refresh rate of the monitors. I felt bad for the employees who had to sit and stare at a monitor all day with a 60Hz refresh rate so I helped them out. I'm sure they would personally thank me for it.

Besides, Windows XP prevents anyone from putting a refresh rate too high above the monitors capabilities.

Computer administrators should really be more considerate and inform a businesses employer about the refresh rate the big an impact it can have on an employees eyes, health and comfort. This isn't just a personal preference... I consider this a health risk!

I know CRT monitors are worse than LCDs at lower refresh rates, but still. Someone should be aware. How do we go about getting this message across?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
They simply don't take the time to change it from default. There's nothing you can do to change the innate laziness of people.

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
Quote:

I know CRT monitors are worse than LCDs at lower refresh rates, but still. Someone should be aware. How do we go about getting this message across?

i believe you have it the other way around..

Btw, I find 60Hz a reasonable refresh rate.. imo, i still cant see it with my eye .. besides, most old moniters cant support higher / lower rates..

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought CRT monitors were more sensitive to lower refresh rates.

The "flicker" is much more noticable on CRT, isn't it?

Maybe I'm more sensitive to it, but I notice is more and it REALLY annoys me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts