Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was editing the bios to make it so when I type a password on the keyboard it would turn on the computer. So, I saved it and exited the bios and then I didn't fell like waiting so I hit the power button on the computer since I was going out and then came back and it wouldn't turn on. I tried shorting the green (power-on) with a black(ground) on the 20 pin atx power supply connector and it turns on. I don't know what else to do. Can you guys please help me??

~Thanks in advanced.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Open up the case find the CMOS jumper or pull the "watch" battery and clear the CMOS. Reinstall the battery, or unjumper the CMOS and start over...

·
Registered
303 Posts
here are some are some solutions
1)Check the power cable and the psu on another system
2)Remove the second all memory (ram) except bank 1 or try other ram
3)Reset Bios/cmos
4)if all above fail take all the components of and test them on a running pc

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
When you shorted the CMOS with the jumper, did you count to 15 (slowly)? Also, when you pulled the battery, did you wait an hour or two?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Will it start if you manually jump the power on/off pins that you would have your case switch connected to?
If so, bad case switch!

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
If you can get it to start with the Green/Black ...
and you can get it to start by jumping the 2 pins for the On/Off it's probably the case switch itself thats bad!

·
Registered
9 Posts
running
msi k8n neo2 54g
amd 3000+
vapo chill micro cooler
seasonic 430w
nvidia 6800gt
raptor 74gb
maxtor 160 gb
corsair x2 512 twinx pro paired with active lights c2

i upped the fsb two 215 x 9.0 and manually set memory cas2
rebooted well pressed power switch,and nothing happened,no bleepas at all.
have done jumper,and battery,un plugged power connector from m/board.cpu fan and northbridge come on,and one of the memory sticks lights up,but the light is in the middle of the stick no 4 or 5,the other stck no lights at all.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxXxRobxXxX

I was editing the bios to make it so when I type a password on the keyboard it would turn on the computer. So, I saved it and exited the bios and then I didn't fell like waiting so I hit the power button on the computer since I was going out and then came back and it wouldn't turn on. I tried shorting the green (power-on) with a black(ground) on the 20 pin atx power supply connector and it turns on. I don't know what else to do. Can you guys please help me??

~Thanks in advanced.

It may sound like a stupid...
question but you didn't power off the system while the BIOS was saving did you ?

cheers

edit : Jacko2U that CORSAIR C2 RAM running at cas2 on 215MHz may be a bit much for it if your not using a divider.

·
Registered
9 Posts
so u think its the memory.ive put in ocz 512 3200 cas2 2336 bronze hsink in slot one,still no boot up bleeps?i would av thought i would still have the bleeps even if i set fsb to high,wouldnt it just reboot.thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyway. is there a way to start the computer with the power supply plugged into the mobo without the power switch to see if it's that.

·
Registered
679 Posts
make sure the power switch is on the right pins...just a suggestion

other than that, pull out everything to it's bare bones, read the manual and how to reset the CMOS and proceed exactly as it states. Try and boot from GFX, 1 stick of mem, cpu, cooler, and nothing else...you might have to put a jumper in a different position and hit the power switch, and then reset the jumper...all mobo's are different! Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.