Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made like 20 reddit posts trying to problem solve this issue, will spare most of the details (though link to one of those posts below) to focus on the most prevalent issue.
I went away for a week and shut my PC down ( Ryzen 3600, x470 taichi, 16gb g-skill trident 3600, nvme drive, 750w corsair gold psu, 5700xt ) also unplugged it. When I got back it wasn't booting, it would power on but no screen would display, the boot code screen would give a couple of random codes (sometimes cpu, sometimes pcie, sometimes sata) and then just hard crash so hard that it would require being unplugged for 15 secs before i could attempt rebooting.

Every once in a while after one of those hard resets combined with a bios/cmos reset the computer would boot like normal, I even did fresh windows install, no problem until I shut down, then these issues would repeat.

I tried all the basics (I'm a system builder and A+ tech for over 15 years) replaced all parts excpt mobo and psu, running everything at its lowest settings, the fresh windows install was on a clean unedited bios. I'm betting on something on the motherboard gone bad, and filed for an RMA, but this issue is confusing as hell, especially since it will sometimes work fine until shutdown, (though sometimes this will happen when booting into windows)
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgamingtechsupport/comments/f6x2e0/gaming_system_wont_boot_after_being_unplugged_for/

Anyone seen anything like this before? can't tell if its the motehrboard/psu/or ****ty power in my house

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Based on the reddit thread it sounds like you covered most everything that'd cause that...

My initial gun response was the ram or an overclock.

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is what bios you're on. This could all easily be answered by it being an older version of the bios that isn't as stable

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based on the reddit thread it sounds like you covered most everything that'd cause that...

My initial gun response was the ram or an overclock.

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is what bios you're on. This could all easily be answered by it being an older version of the bios that isn't as stable
I re-flashed the bios with most recent, this bios was working for a week before this issue started, though could be the cause as I dont think it was unplugged after I initially updated until now.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,456 Posts
you replaced everything but what was the most likely?

try a new board. a wonky motherboard never caused me any issues exactly like yours but they can do some wonky things depending on what's specifically failing on the board.

if your electricity is dirty enough to corrupt an install immediately after you installed it then you'd have far more issues than just with your PC.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
you replaced everything but what was the most likely?

try a new board. a wonky motherboard never caused me any issues exactly like yours but they can do some wonky things depending on what's specifically failing on the board.

if your electricity is dirty enough to corrupt an install immediately after you installed it then you'd have far more issues than just with your PC.
Because I dont have spare motherboards and high end PSU's just sitting around. This weekend I will dismatle my server for parts.
While my power does suck it doesn't suck enough to bypass my PSU, though my PSU may not be operating flawlessly

·
Senior OCN Member
39,572 Posts
What model is the PSU saying Corsair gold 750 watt is like saying you got a black car with a turbo which could be any number of models

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
i'd swap PSU, and operate at bone stock for awhile. if it happens at bone stock, start RMA'ing chips until it goes away. memory, then CPU, then board.

too many people around here trying to blame electricity recently. what's with this fad? I had issue in my 1970s home, but only when nearly tripping the breakers with thousands of watts of draw from 3x GK110 and a 3930k, and even then, it was just minor light flicker/dimming when zoning/blowing stuff up.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'd swap PSU, and operate at bone stock for awhile. if it happens at bone stock, start RMA'ing chips until it goes away. memory, then CPU, then board.

too many people around here trying to blame electricity recently. what's with this fad? I had issue in my 1970s home, but only when nearly tripping the breakers with thousands of watts of draw from 3x GK110 and a 3930k, and even then, it was just minor light flicker/dimming when zoning/blowing stuff up.
I'm not blaming the power, I know what a half-decent psu can handle, but yeah, will try a diffrent PSU tomorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
I always try to have a cheap spare part that I know is working handy, ie Ram and Video card. CPUs and motherboards a bit more $$$ but an older Ryzen 1500 and a used/open box AM4 motherboard can be had for very cheap and can be resold for minimal loss once you're done troubleshooting.

This ASRock B450 has some "used" options available less than $60:

https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-B450M-HDV-R4-0-Promontory-Motherboard/dp/B07MWGKHR9/ref=sr_1_22?keywords=AMD+AM4&qid=1582310926&refinements=p_n_condition-type:2224373011&rnid=2224369011&s=pc&sr=1-22

Ryzen 1200 for similar price, less than $60:
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Desktop-Processor-Stealth-YD1200BBAEBOX/dp/B0741DN383/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Ryzen+1400&qid=1582311202&s=electronics&sr=1-1

·
Senior OCN Member
39,572 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Senior OCN Member
39,572 Posts
Maybe it's the TX? Will need to double check when I get home, but it was a factory refurb from a recall so I hope whatever issue was fixed, but I will look into a new PSU, thanks
Please take a look at what model it is before you just replace it
The new gold rated TX are not bad so unless its broken its not the problem

• Rep+
Reactions: otakunorth

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
roll back bios for starters? for like 20$ a year newegg premier lets u return pretty much anything but GPUs and CPUs for any reason within 30days n they pay shipping. It could be a lil morally iffy but newegg isn't morally inscrutable themselves.

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Oooh ouch, yeah, I'd definitely replace that whether it's the culprit or not.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,572 Posts

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts