Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

My grandfather's PC froze up, so I pressed the physical 'reset' button to reboot. A few seconds after windows booted up, the computer froze completely again. I pressed reset again and now the PC won't POST at all.

This PC hasn't gone through any kind of overclocking. I'm suspecting the problem might be that one of the parts overheated and and died? could be the motherboard?
How would you suggest to test which hardware component is failing(if any), when the PC won't even POST?

With Regards,
Guy.

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
well, you're gonna have to take every part out and test. I'd start with the PSU then the CPU and then just about everything else. To me, it sounds like a PSU issue but then again......

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a similiar problem on a customer comp once and it ended up being a bad atapi drive. What you should do first though, is to do a complete CMOS reset, ie, power down system, unplug from outlet, press power button to discharge capacitors, then remove the battery and set the CMOS jumper to the reset position for a couple hours, some may even say up to a day. Then reposition the CMOS jumper, reinstall the battery and plug it in. It probably wouldnt be a bad idea to reseat your ram, GFX, and/or any aux card that you have.

And if after all that, you still dont POST, then you could try and unplug all your drives cables, and power cables, leaving only your HDD that has your OS on it, that may work as that was the problem that I mentioned earlier. If none of those things work, then your next best bet would be to test the individual components on another computer, or if no access to one, your local Radio Shed usually does not charge to do some basic testing for you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nasgul
well, you're gonna have to take every part out and test. I'd start with the PSU then the CPU and then just about everything else. To me, it sounds like a PSU issue but then again......
No offense Nasgul, but someone could post on here that smoke came from their monitor and now it doesnt work and there will always be someone who replies... "sounds like a PSU problem to me!"

·
Old school
14,403 Posts
Hmm.. I would start with checking for a bad memory module.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

The problem was the video card. I took it out, cleaned it and the rest of the PC. Put it back in and it works. I guess it wasn't sitting right, or maybe too much dust?

Glad to see things work now. thanks for the help guys! It might come handy next time when things won't be so simple to solve

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Ya most likely it was the dust, probably causing the video card to overheat when it was booting into windows. I had this one customer bring in his pc cause it was locking up. Cpu was idling at 44C, opened it up and the cpu heatsink was full of cigarette tar and dust, cleaned it out and it was idling at 29C. (It was a p4 cpu)

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xavier111
No offense Nasgul, but someone could post on here that smoke came from their monitor and now it doesnt work and there will always be someone who replies... "sounds like a PSU problem to me!"

Did you even read what he posted?

Computers don't freeze because the montor smokes.
Now, if he had said something like the monitor went black, I would've suggested to check for video card then cable and try another monitor, so again, the PC is the one that froze-reset-froze again, that doesn't sound anywhere near what you're saying.

So, it's best to read (just like I do) and then guess what the cause of the problem it could be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts