Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
KEYBOARD KONNOISSEUR
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story very short = AIO cooler on GPU leaked into PSU.

Just ordered an EVGA G2 550W and decided to do a new update once the GTX 1080s release.

I use my computer for gaming, I have a QNIX 1440p 60Hz.

I'm currently more interested in getting a Z170 // i5 Skylake // DDR4 setup over the X99 // i5 Devil's Canyon // DDR3 combo. Main reason being I haven't done a computer update like this in almost 4 years and would prefer to get newer things, but not sure what would be my best decision. I haven't been following the CPU game for a while so i'm not even sure what the standard is or what's best for gaming.

My budget for a new CPU, MoBo, and RAM is ~$600 to $800. Prefer to keep as low as possible within that range but will go for the higher end if justifiably the superior choice.

*edited because it looked like a huge messy paragraph*

·
GPU Enthusiast
2,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazah View Post

Long story very short = AIO cooler on GPU leaked into PSU.

Just ordered an EVGA G2 550W and decided to do a new update once the GTX 1080s release.

I use my computer for gaming, I have a QNIX 1440p 60Hz.

I'm currently more interested in getting a Z170 // i5 Skylake // DDR4 setup over the X99 // i5 Devil's Canyon // DDR3 combo. Main reason being I haven't done a computer update like this in almost 4 years and would prefer to get newer things, but not sure what would be my best decision. I haven't been following the CPU game for a while so i'm not even sure what the standard is or what's best for gaming.

My budget for a new CPU, MoBo, and RAM is ~$600 to $800. Prefer to keep as low as possible within that range but will go for the higher end if justifiably the superior choice.

*edited because it looked like a huge messy paragraph*
There are no i5 CPU's for x99, i7's only and it's a more expensive platform. I think you meant z97 however
tongue.gif

Skylake on average clocks a bit better from what I've seen, you get lots of new mobo features on top of DD4, and if you're really only gaming z170 + 6600k is the sweet spot for price/performance. I'd go skylake all the way, price difference should be minimal unless you try to get any of the components used.

• Rep+
Reactions: drazah

·
KEYBOARD KONNOISSEUR
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8000 View Post

There are no i5 CPU's for x99, i7's only and it's a more expensive platform. I think you meant z97 however
tongue.gif

Skylake on average clocks a bit better from what I've seen, you get lots of new mobo features on top of DD4, and if you're really only gaming z170 + 6600k is the sweet spot for price/performance. I'd go skylake all the way, price difference should be minimal unless you try to get any of the components used.
Yes the Z170 and 6600K is exactly what i was looking at. And i didn't even know about the x99 without the i5 (just my lack of knowledge showing). Thanks for the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts