Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried several distros of linux including Ubuntu and Zorin, and every time I booted from my live USB, it worked fine and I got the "What do you want to do?" menu. But every time I tried installing it, my screen turns off for a second, then turns back on but is just solid black, and then nothing ever happens. USB becomes totally idle and the screen stays black for eternity. Somehow it even disables my reset button, so I have to hold down the power button to turn my computer off.

Anyone know what the problem is?

·
Top kek
3,603 Posts
I use YUMI -Your Universal Multiboot Integrator .
What you are explaining as "black screen" , seems to be caused from the USB. It seems that after the Live Distro is being loaded into the RAM , the USB is being unmounted for some reason. As such , you get only whats already loaded into the RAM working or a short period.
Try using YUMI to upload your Linux distro on the USB and try again, and format the USB before doing so.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do I do that?

Edit: I found out how to do that. I tried that, and a couple other options in the kernel menu and the screen didn't go blank, but the CD still wouldn't load. It just sits there with a blinking cursor on the screen and the CD drive shows no read (I burned a DVD because... because I can?) so it's just sitting there not doing anything.

more edit: I found out this happens when you're trying to install to/from ASMedia sata ports on the motherboard. I'll put my CD drive on a non asmedia port and only plug my main hard drive into one as well and see if that works. Not very high hopes though.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha what do you know it worked. Just another thing to add to the list of reasons I will never buy another asrock motherboard. Probably not Asus either.

·
Top kek
3,603 Posts
Weird , i am with ASRock motherboard and no such issues on my side.

·
: ( ) { : | : & } ; :
3,556 Posts
ASRock certainly isn't the best, but it does do the job.

·
3,556 Posts
I don't see your point.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sure, it will be a motherboard, but it won't do anything it should be able to do.

Mine: first one just didn't work, got a replacement, doesn't run 8GB DIMMs at 1600MHz or higher (despite rating and voltage), hits an overclock wall on the CPU which is something wrong with the motherboard, not the CPU, USB drivers screw up on windows a lot (have to screw around with BIOS settings otherwise can't log in), none of the apps work like fast charger or asrock extreme tuning utility, and the placement for SATA ports and the LED diag code display are awful, the buttons that are supposed to restart/turn on/off the computer on the motherboard don't work. And some more.

·
3,556 Posts
ah okay, now that makes sense.

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,422 Posts
I'm curious as to why you have had so much trouble with that board and if it could be something else like PSU? or if you have just been extremely unlucky. I have had zero problems with my Asrock Z77 Extreme. Whenever I see posts sating things like "I'll never buy Western Digital/Seagate/Insert Manufacturer, again!" it makes me think of the old adage that even if MTBF is 0.1% if it happens to you it's 100% and your reaction, though understandable, is not logical nor meaningful.

In this case you also mentioned Asus, and IMHO, to write them off as being in the same league as PCChips is ill-advised. Don't get me wrong we all can do it. I have an aversion to MSI because of a series of bad mobos, but apparently I was just unlucky because the odds are high that most will have no such problems. Unfortunately with mass production and especially in interactive component systems, we basically can research which manufacturers get high marks, and then take our chances.

Just FTR, I have installed 3 distros from my Plextor SATA DVD connected to ASMedia ports and to Seagate SATA drives on ASMedia ports. Something is wrong in your system and yes, it is possibly your mobo, but it is not on all mobos even of roughly the same model. It could be that they filled in with another brand of support components as all manufacturers do when availability or price changes. Sorry for your difficulties and glad you found a workaround.

We are still best off betting with the odds.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an asrock motherboard in 3 different computers. They all have problems. I also hate MSI for the first motherboard I ever had in a custom computer but since it wasn't meant to be a high end one I'm willing to give them another chance.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post

I'm curious as to why you have had so much trouble with that board and if it could be something else like PSU? or if you have just been extremely unlucky. I have had zero problems with my Asrock Z77 Extreme. Whenever I see posts sating things like "I'll never buy Western Digital/Seagate/Insert Manufacturer, again!" it makes me think of the old adage that even if MTBF is 0.1% if it happens to you it's 100% and your reaction, though understandable, is not logical nor meaningful.

In this case you also mentioned Asus, and IMHO, to write them off as being in the same league as PCChips is ill-advised. Don't get me wrong we all can do it. I have an aversion to MSI because of a series of bad mobos, but apparently I was just unlucky because the odds are high that most will have no such problems. Unfortunately with mass production and especially in interactive component systems, we basically can research which manufacturers get high marks, and then take our chances.

Just FTR, I have installed 3 distros from my Plextor SATA DVD connected to ASMedia ports and to Seagate SATA drives on ASMedia ports. Something is wrong in your system and yes, it is possibly your mobo, but it is not on all mobos even of roughly the same model. It could be that they filled in with another brand of support components as all manufacturers do when availability or price changes. Sorry for your difficulties and glad you found a workaround.

We are still best off betting with the odds.
3 ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M's here with no problem as well. ( used in file and media servers with cheap i3-2120's )
6 random ASRock SoC motherboards that have had no problems.
1 ASUS Sabertooth P67 going strong. ( a poor clocking i5-2500k )
1 ASUS P8Z77-i Deluxe going strong as well. ( main rigs motherboard, with my trusty old i7-2600k )
2 ASUS Burbank ( HP OEM ) motherboard still going strong after 5 or 6 years now. ( random testing machines that are about to be retired for something smaller, more powerful and more efficient, still going strong with Core2Quad's )
1 ASUS ( HP OEM ) motherboard, same as the Burbank but mATX and not ATX. ( my Minecraft server rig that's about to be retired for something smaller, more powerful and more efficient, still going strong though with Core2Duo )
2 random 10 year old MSI board still going strong ( my only current AMD motherboards, funny enough ).

Just the few I can list that are running in my basement right now. Rest are more standard server boards and not really hobbyist material.

Have probably gone through every manufacturer of motherboards in the last 16 years since I started building PC's though. And the only one I've had constant problems with over the years is Gigabyte. No matter how many times I try them, I always seem to get a bad board. Every frickin time. And I don't mean just a bad sata port here and there, but serious usage breaking problems. One had a bad CPU socket, one had a loose ram lane, another came from the factory brand new, with a blown capacitor ( open the box to see a blown cap is ... W T F ). I've had bad boards from others, but not nearly as frequently, or to the same seriousness, definitely still usable.

We all have at least one of those companies that we tend to stray away from
tongue.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts