·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm having the worst time of my life with this stupid computer

M4A89GTD-Pro
OCZ Reaper HPC 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-24 2T 1.8v

The computer will randomly lockup and I just reformatted.
I tested with Memtest and I am getting issues but I think it may be a timing issue or do you all think it may be bad ram?

I am very uncertain what to do, and frustrated as this has been going on for a few months now and i'm just now fed up with guessing what my problem might be.

Regards,
TrentH

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trenth
View Post

I tested with Memtest and I am getting issues but I think it may be a timing issue or do you all think it may be bad ram?

This is the red flag here.

First, change timings to 8-8-8-24 or 9-9-9-24, something real easy for the system to handle. Setting timings to Auto should have them at something reasonable as well but not always the case.

Then start testing with Memtest, one stick at a time. On every slot if you have to. Then you can narrow it down to a bad stick, a bad slot, or both. If everything tests good, the solution is probably in the BIOS. Have you updated the BIOS to the most current version btw? That can fix these sorts of issues too.

And is that RAM spec'd for 1.8v or are you overvolting them?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baskt_Case
View Post

This is the red flag here.

First, change timings to 8-8-8-24 or 9-9-9-24, something real easy for the system to handle. Setting timings to Auto should have them at something reasonable as well but not always the case.

Then start testing with Memtest, one stick at a time. On every slot if you have to. Then you can narrow it down to a bad stick, a bad slot, or both. If everything tests good, the solution is probably in the BIOS. Have you updated the BIOS to the most current version btw? That can fix these sorts of issues too.

And is that RAM spec'd for 1.8v or are you overvolting them?

Overvolting by .5v it's speced at 1.75.

Also.

On my bootup it shows the bios logo then a blackscreen that says something about jmacron i forget the message but it's not an error then it shows the bios logo then my windows screen.

Is that normal?

One more thing unrelated again (I think)

I'm getting the worst bootup times my "welcome" screen for Windows 7 takes 10-20seconds to load..and i'm on a quadcore 3.4GHz freshly formatted and i'm 100% sure it's not virus related..after the welcome screen the usual windows startup takes another 10-15seconds to play. now is this normal or do you think I should try Windows 7 32bit as I don't remember having any issues with it...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,
TrentH

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Well, in your original post, you said it was having issues with Memtest. Thats going to translate to windows and/or other apps having issues with your RAM, until you figure out whats up. A failed memtest is not the end of the world, no, but I think you are taking it far too lightly. You've got to get that RAM sorted first.

Dont overvolt until you need to.

Back the RAM down to its advertised specs. Timing, speed, voltage, everything. Then see if it passes memtest. If not, try one stick at a time, in every slot if you have to. If you've got a bad stick, or board, RMA it or whatever you gotta do. If its just a bad slot, you can get by using another slot for a while. If everything is good up to this point, then you can worry about upping the speed, lowering the timings, then finnally the voltage if your after still more performance.

As for the boot sequence, not sure, depends on what all you got hooked up to the board (drives, etc.) and what your BIOS boot options are (diagnostic screens, boot screens, etc.). I dont know whats normal for your board. My Asus goes Power On> 2 Cursor Blinks> BIOS Logo> Windows Load Animation> Welcome> Desktop. 50 seconds total boot on my sig rig.

I also have Win 7 64bit installed but on a dedicated 60GB partition on my 500GB SATA drive.

Memory issues are going to effect your load times for sure, especially if the timings are way off. Errors are errors. Its going to hang while it trys over and over to get to the next step, whether that be the next line of code or starting another process while simultaneously writing error logs in the background mind you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WEIRD!

I ran it at 8-8-8-24 @ 1.75v 1600MHz
http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...800_reaper_hpc

No errors....

Ran at 7-7-7-24 @ 1.75v 1600Mhz

No errors....

What to do naow? :|

Correction

I went to start Prime95 at the 7-7-7-24 1.75 1600
The PC froze

So I changed to 8-8-8-24 1.75 1600 and then the PC restarted on itself

now im at 8-8-8-24 1.9 1600 and we'll see what happens

also on there website it says 1600* and Reaper HPC Heatsink**

I can't find out what those *'s mean.

Regards,
TrentH

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
memtest is usually for testing bad RAM rather than instability. You may indeed have bad RAM there

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771
View Post

memtest is usually for testing bad RAM rather than instability. You may indeed have bad RAM there

You said it's for testing bad ram?

But I may have bad ram?

I'm not understanding also it set it to 9-9-9-24 @ 1600 and the pc locked up

so now I set everything to AUTO

and we'll see what happens

Sorry i'm posting so much i'm just trying to give as much info as possible and what i'm doing.

Regards,
TrentH

It underclocked it to 1333 8-8-8-27-20 @ 1.9v

and nothing is freezing up....

what do I do xD...worst computer problems ever

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

I called OCZ and I found out some information

The M4A89GTD-Pro's 1600MHz is considered overclocked for that mobo as the OCZ guy says.

So I am running at 1333 7-7-7-24 2T 1.9v 2GB stable.

I am testing each stick individually.

What happened at first was I had both in there at 7-7-7-24 2T 1.7v 1333 and Prime95 showed hardware error.

I took out one stick and bumped the voltage to 1.9v even though OCZ man said not to but I remember reading somewhere that this ram needed extra volts. and Prime95 is running stable on this stick so far.

So in a bit I will lower the voltage to 1.7 and see what it does to confirm the 1.7v fact.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I confirmed my suspicions

They don't know what there voltage is suppose to be which is 1333 7-7-7-24 1.9* instead of 1.7.

Also I can not get it to run 1600MHz even with high voltage and looser timings.
I guess this ram just won't do it.

Regards,
TrentH

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Sounds like crummy RAM to me. Having to overvolt some high-voltage RAM just to be stable at stock specs??? And then not even stable after that. Yuck.

Sure, 1600 might be overclock for your board, it is for mine too, it shouldnt hold you back. Shouldnt being key there.

I would def find some other RAM.

Might I recommend G.Skill, I've had super results myself.

2x2GB G.Skill 1333 Ripjaws

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baskt_Case
View Post

Sounds like crummy RAM to me. Having to overvolt some high-voltage RAM just to be stable at stock specs??? And then not even stable after that. Yuck.

Sure, 1600 might be overclock for your board, it is for mine too, it shouldnt hold you back. Shouldnt being key there.

I would def find some other RAM.

Might I recommend G.Skill, I've had super results myself.

2x2GB G.Skill 1333 Ripjaws

Hi,

Thank you for your support!

I am just glad i've got it stable....Now I can finally overclock this processor I hope. =]

With my budget issues and 1333 compared to 1600 speeds not being much difference I am just going to stay with this.

As far as my slow OS load times I fixed them with a reformat back to Windows 7 32bit and it runs alot faster.... weird.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
1333 @ 7-7-7 is respectable. It's not screaming but should give good "snapiness" to the OS and other apps. I dont think you ever said what cpu you have, but I believe Athlon II X2's are limited to 1066 memory controllers and the rest of the line up through Phenoms is limited to 1333 anyway. Of course, things change when you start upping NB clocks, for the better usually.

You also didnt say if you had updated the BIOS to the latest for your board. Asus is pretty constant with the BIOS updates. Always a good idea to have all the latest drivers and whatnot, especially when OC'in. Can solve lots of little problems.

As for slow loading with x64, could be issues with your hardware. Still plenty of hardware out there with little to no x64 driver support. The only thing I had issue with was my wireless card but Win7 had some preloaded drivers that worked temporarily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.