Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like as if a fan blade hit something. Sometimes it is like a cracking sound. When I look inside the case, I see nothing out of the ordinary.

It has been doing this since I built it in January 2012.

Things I've noticed:

Sound seems to come from the front of the case.
Seems to happen more often when I am playing a game.
Sometimes, after a shutdown, I'll hear a pop or crack after a few minutes. After that, it will be quiet till the next boot.
Sometimes I don't hear a sound for a while, other times it is quite often.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
my gtx 570 DC II,,,makes a ticking sound,,,only when the fans are between 50-54%,,so i set the fan curve to jump up right past that point,,,not an issue now

have you ever thought of unplugging each case fan one at a time,and see what happens

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprkd1 View Post

Like as if a fan blade hit something. Sometimes it is like a cracking sound. When I look inside the case, I see nothing out of the ordinary.

It has been doing this since I built it in January 2012.

Things I've noticed:

Sound seems to come from the front of the case.
Seems to happen more often when I am playing a game.
Sometimes, after a shutdown, I'll hear a pop or crack after a few minutes. After that, it will be quiet till the next boot.
Sometimes I don't hear a sound for a while, other times it is quite often.
Could be a number of things:
1. Coil whinge from the bearings
2. Somethings maybe too close to one of your fans etc
3: Psu plugs not seated properly or in slot.
4. Might not even be that might be interference from an audio lead near power cables? This ;is a rule of car sound as the power wire creates distortion in the audio lead line.

Hope some of my suggestions help, post back more so we know how you went.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I tried something just now. I played a round of Battlefield 3 (because I noticed it happened more often when playing a demanding game) with the side panel off and my speakers off too. Not a single pop/crack or anything.
confused.gif

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just played a round with the speakers on but the side panel off. No pops/crackles.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Quote:

Well I tried something just now. I played a round of Battlefield 3 (because I noticed it happened more often when playing a demanding game) with the side panel off and my speakers off too. Not a single pop/crack or anything.
confused.gif
Quote:

Just played a round with the speakers on but the side panel off. No pops/crackles.
Well, keep on keeping on and just keep us informed. Really though, I would make a backup just in case your HDD is about to go tits up.
wink.gif

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so I playing some Battlefield 3 single-player with the case closed and speakers on. Popping/cracking sounds returned. Then I paused the game and removed the side panel. Popping/cracking sounds basically gone or very rare.

Is this a heat issue? I have my case fans on the highest speed setting.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts

gremlins

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts