Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about my computers powel use this winter and came to think that while your house has heat on your computer uses virtualy no power. Since all that computers give off is heat and a little light (and all the ineffiency is heat) then all your computer would do is contribute to the heater. However that means that it cost about double when AC is on.

Is this correct?

It would be funny to live somewhere very cold and heat your house with computers.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
lol i dont think its THAT much heat but you can try lol

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
ummm....I think you worded that wrong..but you mean that it would save you money on heat to use your computer?

All I know is that your computer's power bill stays the same. No matter what the temps are it'll stay constant pretty much.

You heating bill may change, but hardly. depending on which room your thermostat is in.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't planning on trying, that would probably be a whole lot of high end computers to generate enough heat.

What I mean is not that your computer power bill actualy goes down what I think is that the power your computor uses is converted to heat and that heats your house. So when your computer and heat are on the computer is using almost no net power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts