Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking over a friend's computer for him, and there is a strange problem that I'm not too sure of. When you press the power button, the computer powers on for 4-5 seconds or so, then shuts back off, then repeats itself. I've swapped the PSU, and that isn't the case. They are two memory sticks, and both seemed to be in working condition. Even switched video cards because I was sort of puzzled. A problem like this isn't likely as a hard drive failure. So, the only option I had left, is the CPU or motherboard. I was thinking maybe the CPU (though I have no reasonable conclusion to why), but I want your guy's opinion on this, and maybe somebody has experienced a similar problem. It is an HP a310n with an upgraded nVidia FX5500 video card. Thanks anybody!

Sorry, didn't really know where to put this!

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
Try clearing the cmos battery,or if the system is oc'ed set it back to the defaults.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
More likely the motherboard than the CPU, simply because motherboards break easier. When was the last time it worked? Anything in particular done since then? Upgrades? Moving the computer around? Anything?
It was working last week or so I believed. Nothing new done to it; my friend just told me he turned it on one day, and it was acting how it currently is. I was hoping it wouldn't be a motherboard problem, really don't like switching those out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reezin14 View Post
Try clearing the cmos battery,or if the system is oc'ed set it back to the defaults.
Will give it a try.
Not overclocked though, HP. -___-

Edit: Can't seem to find the battery on the board.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a computer tech for several years I can tell you know that is its probably going to be the motherboard as sgtspike said. Try clearing the Cmos first though because it is an easy thing to do and could solve it. If it keeps doing it, an easy test to see if it is the motherboard is to look at the small metallic cylinders attached around the motherboard, about the size of a pinky finger nail. If any are swollen, then it's the motherboard.

The only other thing I could suggest is that it is the PSU but you have eliminated that.

I would say motherboard simply because, 'usually' if it's anything else the computer just doesn't post.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by twisted_58 View Post
try another cpu in it if you can. also try booting with 1 stick of ram in the first slot. if the 1 stick works then start testing with memtest one stick at a time then 1 good stick in each slot(rule out if its a bad ram slot). my money is banking on mobo or ram as the culprit.
I'd try another CPU, but I don't have another Socket 478 CPU laying around. My bro has one, but I don't want the hassle of taking it off, testing it, then reapplying some paste and putting it in the computer again. I also tried that method with the ram, and same problem. -___- I'm pretty convinced it's the motherboard now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel_clink View Post
As a computer tech for several years I can tell you know that is its probably going to be the motherboard as sgtspike said. Try clearing the Cmos first though because it is an easy thing to do and could solve it. If it keeps doing it, an easy test to see if it is the motherboard is to look at the small metallic cylinders attached around the motherboard, about the size of a pinky finger nail. If any are swollen, then it's the motherboard.

The only other thing I could suggest is that it is the PSU but you have eliminated that.

I would say motherboard simply because, 'usually' if it's anything else the computer just doesn't post.
Hmmm....weird thing is, I can't find the battery on the motherboard, unless it's some other method for HP motherboards.

Hopefully a new motherboard will do the trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts