Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so I built a computer about 1 month ago, for a friend. It all ran fine until a few days ago... here's the Spec:

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition 3.20GHz (Socket AM3) - Retail [HDZ955FBGMBOX]

Asus M4A87TD/USB3 AMD 870 (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard [90-MIBCM5-G0EAY0WZ]

OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 (1333MHz) Low-Voltage Dual Channel (OCZ3G1333LV4GK) [OCZ3G1333LV4GK]

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Silent SLI Certified Modular Power Supply [OCZ600MXSP-UK]

XFX ATI Radeon HD 5830 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card + Alien vs Predator [HD-583X-ZNFC]
Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (0F10383) [HDS721010CLA332]

Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black [0761345-08300-3]
Samsung SH-S223L/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Lightscribe ReWriter (Black) - OEM [SH-S223Q/BEBN]

Ok so to the point, he's had bluescreens in several different games (saying atimkdag.dll has stopped working). He's had the computer fail to boot up saying the harddrive has an error on it. He's had the computer boot to windows (win7) and then freeze entirely. He's had when running virtual linux an error saying cannot read memory.

So what's your opinions? I know what I think it is but I guess I'm wanting a second opinion. what do you think that this is?

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Have him run a Mem Test and check S.M.A.R.T on the HDD to see if there is any errors on it.

·
OG AMD
8,883 Posts
Depends on if it's overclocked or not.Overclocked it sounds like an unstable OC.Also run memtest on those OCZ's.

To teh stranger "hmmm i see ur problem,u got him an amd cpu..... " an AMD that is better than your CPU.Read the Terms of service-troll posts are frowned upon here.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by REDHAMMER999 View Post
well I used speedfan on it just too see temps were in order... I got 6.3V on the 12V rail. so used a multimeter and the 12V rail is reading 6V? So I still believe the PSU is at fault.
If the 12v rail is reading 6v on a multimeter(I'm surprised the system even booted) that is way out of spec no matter what rail you tested. So I would test with a different psu and see if that resolves the issue.

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
OCZ psu's are pretty mediocre when it comes to performance, it doesnt surprise me the 12V rail failed

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhany
View Post

If the 12v rail is reading 6v on a multimeter(I'm surprised the system even booted) that is way out of spec no matter what rail you tested. So I would test with a different psu and see if that resolves the issue.

yeah, i dont have a spare PSU to lend him... so it's in RMA. Think any of the components will be damaged because of this?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'd say unlikely, just looks like the PSU isn't delivering enough power - your components should be fine.

Have you returned for a refund or a replacement? I used to have an OCZ PSU and read nothing but horror stories after I'd bought it.

Now much happier with a Corsair PSU I picked up for £60 on eBay.

If the replacement PSU doesn't fix the issue, then I'd recommended fully removing the drivers under safe mode and reinstalling fresh.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazznaz
View Post

I'd say unlikely, just looks like the PSU isn't delivering enough power - your components should be fine.

Have you returned for a refund or a replacement? I used to have an OCZ PSU and read nothing but horror stories after I'd bought it.

Now much happier with a Corsair PSU I picked up for £60 on eBay.

If the replacement PSU doesn't fix the issue, then I'd recommended fully removing the drivers under safe mode and reinstalling fresh.

ok good stuff... I asked to get a replacement for him. I suspect it will sort the issue out but here's hoping lol. I think since it didnt boot on several occasions that maybe it has nothing to do with the GPU but hey we'll see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts