Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my computer started having some type of problem.. It's been about a year since I've touch anything in my computer.

The problem I experience is, the computer will shut down immediately when I open games like COD4 WC3 for less than a minute.

I have reasons to believe it's the graphic card, or also the power supply.
This morning I used ATI tool, and the computer immediately shut off when I clicked "scan for artifacts"

Have you guys ever experienced this? Could it be the power supply not giving enough power to the Graphic card, causing the computer to shut down?

EDIT; I also did Prime95 and RAM test. Computer didn't shut off on me.
(as we speak. I am using this computer, but cannot put it under any graphic load) [I could watch youtube videos and such. just not play games]

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Your card might be going since it can't do anything. Try different drivers and if you have it overclocked, underclock it.

·
Geezer
453 Posts
can you play less graphic intensive games?

If you have the ability to swap out power supplies give it a shot. Or if you have a spare PCI-e power connector on the psu try switching them.

And i'm assuming its a complete power off ... not just a black screen?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I would bet that it's the PSU. Try swapping it out for another one. If it was the graphics card you would have issues at boot. Usually when a graphics card goes you will have artifacts all the time or it is dead.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomicFrost View Post
I would bet that it's the PSU. Try swapping it out for another one. If it was the graphics card you would have issues at boot. Usually when a graphics card goes you will have artifacts all the time or it is dead.
This is what I though also, I have a 8800GTS 512 that i tried to swap, but i believe it's broken. I'll try my brothers 7900GT then if it doesn't work, I am definetly sure it's my power supply.

WC3 isn't that intensive at all (i think..)
But I CAN play counter strike with no problem.
And there's absolutely no artifacts when I play games or watch video.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same problem. My computer works perfect when i'm using the internet or any other program, but when i start playing bad company 2 it will shut off. sometimes it happens a couple of minutes or even after playing more than 10 minutes. When my computer turns on it tells me there was a power surge of some sort. any ideas? I think i may need a new PSU

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Try the card in another computer.

See if that PC shuts off as well.

If not, I am inclined to think it's your PSU.

Check the PSU to see if there are any burnt components or capacitors that are bulging or basically shot to bits.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
in short... in my experience...

if the PC just shuts off...

it is the PSU....

Had this issue on a customer's PC recently

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Meh, while I agree that it's a distinct possibility that it's the PSU, I wouldn't count out the GPU. One of my 580s just went bad a few weeks ago. As soon as I booted up any game of significance, I hard froze or restarted. It was definitely the card, I had a 4870 on hand to confirm that. Actually expecting my baby back from RMA tomorrow!

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have that problem too, will look into it tomorrow, but if its the card could I rma a card that has been flashed to 6970 if I flash it back?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
if it is flashed back.... they won't be able to tell the difference

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgoes2001;11789369
in short... in my experience...

if the PC just shuts off...

it is the PSU....

Had this issue on a customer's PC recently
I still have this issue, but not sure if it's my PSU. My friend just build his new pc yesterday and he's getting the same problem also. According to the recommended power supply wattage calculator his pc need 700W min. and he has an 850W PSU. we both have the same MB so when it shuts off the computers restart and it says there was a power surge problem and if we want to go into BIOS to change values or just use default

·
Banned
136 Posts
It's your 12v rail config. plug in cables labeled PCIE-1 and PCIE-2 to the card and it will work fine. The 12v rail config for 3 and 4 is odd and OCP will kick in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i think i may have found the problem! i check the CPUID HW monitor and it says my CPU is at 141W and i only have 4 cores activated. My motherboard supports up to 140W CPU but the specs on the CPU says 125W. why is my CPU wattage so high?

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoolU;11934832
i think i may have found the problem! i check the CPUID HW monitor and it says my CPU is at 141W and i only have 4 cores activated. My motherboard supports up to 140W CPU but the specs on the CPU says 125W. why is my CPU wattage so high?
I doubt that's the problem. That value is just a 'guess' that HW Monitor is doing anyway. I think you need a new PSU of higher quality and wattage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts