Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been experiencing these random shutdowns with my system.

CPU and GPU are under water (Each with their own AIO) but the VRM of the GPU are not directly cooled, there is a fan on both sides of the card to blow air on the VRMs from both sides of the card if that matters.

GPU sits at 40 - 45c while in Horizon Zero Dawn and CPU hovers at 50ish.

At first i thought it was my PSU due to sudden power loss, and as was suggested to me in the Power supplies forum it might have been my memory so i scanned my PC with Memtest86 and found errors.
I sent the memory kit back but that kit was not available so i got 4x8GB 3800MHZ CL14 from G.Skill.
I know that Ryzen very rarely works with such memory due to infinity fabric so i'm wondering if this is causing the issues but the symptoms are the same as it was before, so it was not memory or might have been unlucky and its the RAM and something else.
No matter what i do it just shuts off in certain games, like COD:MW and Titanfall 2 and now on Horizon Zero Dawn.

I can provide any reports from windows if you need it.

I checked the event viewer and found many warning and errors at every point that my PC shuts down.
The main one is Event ID 41, no real solution to this as far as i know.

Also found out that the latest update to win 10 2004 was the cause of the issues and i can either go back to 1909 or get into the insider program and get the latest patch that is been available but that didn't work for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Sounds like a voltage problem to me. Which could also be Load line Calibration.

In what manner are you running your CPU? Stock, PBO, EDC bug, CCX OC?

Have you changed any voltage settings for the CPU, SOC, DRAM?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your reply.

The CPU is running stock. I feel for my needs i should leave the CPU as is. it boosts to 4.55GHZ and im at 4.2GHZish on all core so its enough for me.
In the bios all i changed was FCLK to lock it to 1900 but even before that when i had 3200MHZ memory and i would just load DOCP profile it would just crash.
Im not sure if it started since i updated to win 10 2004 or not but it definitely started in the last 2-4 months.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Hi, thanks for your reply.

The CPU is running stock. I feel for my needs i should leave the CPU as is. it boosts to 4.55GHZ and im at 4.2GHZish on all core so its enough for me.
In the bios all i changed was FCLK to lock it to 1900 but even before that when i had 3200MHZ memory and i would just load DOCP profile it would just crash.
Im not sure if it started since i updated to win 10 2004 or not but it definitely started in the last 2-4 months.
Hmmm, which BIOS are you on?

And what are your Load Line Calibration settings?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm on 3103, the latest that was released from Asus.

About Load line Calibration, is that the option in bios where you choose from auto 1-2-3-4?
I'm on auto.

Not touching the OC stuff to be honest, i played with it for a bit when i had my 2700x but that's pretty much it.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,006 Posts
One possibility:

Your original RAM was bad. This RAM ran at 3200 Mhz (1600x2). When you replaced the RAM, you got a faster kit that runs at 3800 Mhz (1900x2). The new RAM is working, but the IF in your CPU can't run at the faster speed, so you are still crashing. It's possible to run IF at 1900 on some AMD chips, but not all.

The first thing I would do is set the RAM to 3600 Mhz (you can leave the timings at stock for now), set the IF to 1800 Mhz (1 to 1), and see if it still crashes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have done a few things.

I have reinstalled a fresh copy of windows (went back to 1909 instead of 2004) All i have installed is Nvidia drivers and a couple of apps , I can play about 5min in Horizon zero dawn and i will get a crash.
I went into the bios and i have changed to Optimized defaults and the only thing i changes is to ignore the CPU fan as my fans go into a fan controller. And with the memory at 2133 (no DOCP enabled) i get a crash in the first 5 min of HZD.

Im starting to think that it might be the CPU or the Motherboard. As the GPU works fine in Apex Legends for hours.

What settings should i try in Prime 95? and im using Furmark for GPU stress test.

Thanks.

·
Bench, Dead, Squat
421 Posts
Is it just HZD that's crashing now? Could be new ported console game'itus...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it happened in Modern warfare as well but didnt try it yet after new windows installation, i assume it would crash as well as HZD crashed in the same manner.

·
Premium Member
20,111 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just crashed in modern warfare even before I finished compiling the shaders as it was my first time launching the game on this windows. Could it be faulty memory again?

·
Premium Member
20,111 Posts
Just crashed in modern warfare even before I finished compiling the shaders as it was my first time launching the game on this windows. Could it be faulty memory again?
Could be. I suggest trying switching RAMs in pairs. First 2 sticks installed in A2, B2, then replace them with the other two at Optimized Default.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Have you tried a diffrent PSU yet

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have another one, and getting one would be difficult.

I opened a post about this in the power supplies forum recently and from what people told me its not characteristic of a faulty power supply and asked me to check my memory and i did, i found errors and my memory was accepted for RMA for which i got a full refund, i then took that money and bought a new kit (3800MHZ CL14). I have tried running this memory at XMP\DOCP and at JDEC spec so 2133MHZ. crashed at both.

Dose any one knows if this could be a motherboard or CPU?

I will do another memory scan later as it takes about 8 hours to complete.

So far i disabled 6 of my cores and tried running it this way but still have crashes.

·
Bench, Dead, Squat
421 Posts
Anything in Event Viewer after the crashes? Could also be video card.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes plenty, but from what i googled nothing that can really point what the problem is.

have a look.

https://imgur.com/VWLE0pd

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Could be. I suggest trying switching RAMs in pairs. First 2 sticks installed in A2, B2, then replace them with the other two at Optimized Default.
Interesting, I have split the kit into A+B and C+D.

On both kits at 2133MHZ im crashing, its super reproducible especially in MW.

No matter what config i try the result is the same, A+B or C+D or A+C or B+D. crush.

I got a glimps of the blue screen this time and it was "Critical process died". if it helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have the same problem since June, i also had the impression that it was win 2004 related but eventually i found out IF became unstable in my case at 1900MHz after 1 year it was stable.. .since i stepped down at 1866 i never got the issue again

·
OG AMD
8,803 Posts
Looks to me like your 750w psu is not enough for a 350w gpu and a 350w cpu with tons of other stuff also. More power ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
About the infinity fabric, I agree not all CPUs can sustain 1900 fclk but I get crashes even when I'm running the memory at 2133 so 1066fclk if I understand correctly.

And 750w, the GPU sucks about 300w according to hwinfo64 and the CPU is at stock sucks about 90-100w. So I don't think it's that. I could be wrong here but this system worked flawless untill a few months ago when I started having a crush every few weeks and now it's pretty much a guarantee if I get into a specific game like Titanfall, cod or horizon that I would crush within minutes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts