Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently updated the bios to my computer via MSI live update. As soon as I updated the bios my computer has been acting strange. It works fine when its not under heavy load but when I play games it'll shut down and refuse to run for a solid 20-40 seconds.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Definitely sounds like a heat related issue. Since you've just updated your bios, check in there to see if the tempreture thresholds have been set. Maybe if it's set too low the machine will shutdown when that temp is reached. If it only happens while gaming, I reakon that would be a gr8 place to start your diagnostics given gaming puts a large amount of pressure and heat on components. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so I attempted to enter my bios and change the settings, however, when I do, my computer will go through the auto shutdown after I stay in bios for 20 seconds.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
IDK man it could be a million things. Firstly, I hope you're trying everything at stock/default settings. So no OC, reset bios/CMOS. Then you gotta start going down the list:

RAM? test with just single stick

PSU? Test with different PSU

GPU? Test with different GPU

CPU? Test with different CPU

Motherboard? If nothing fixes it, its most likely mobo.

Basically you go down the list isolating until you find the thing that fixes the issue.

The only thing that makes me lean on mobo issue is the fact that it happened after a BIOS update. Since BIOS update changes NOTHING but the motherboard bios...However, you've got quite a few possible culprits to test in front of mobo that are much easier (ie its much easier to remove 3/4 sticks of ram than it is to put every component into a new motherboard).

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,445 Posts
Wait you updated the bios through MSI Live Update in Windows?? That's not good.

Don't update in Windows, not safe.

I recommend trying to re-flash your old bios, but do so in BIOS, not Windows. Please make sure your CPU and other setting is at default/stock. Then restart the computer and see if it boots, if everything is fine. Proceed to enter the bios, and look for a flash utility if not, then use

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=108079.msg800577#msg800577

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I actually just caught that he did that after my post. Why companies recommend you use their crappy utilities I will never understand, except maybe in the hopes that youll break it and be forced to buy another. Then again though, if a company gave me a crappy utility that broke the product in question, the last thing I would ever do is buy from that company again.

However, the fact that the computer runs fine EXCEPT HEAVY LOAD implies that the flash went through fine, at least in my opinion. I've never messed up a bios flash before so I'm unsure if it would even work to that extent if you did. Sounds again like a heat issue b/c of the heavy load aspect you mentioned.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for taking a look at this thread and assisting me.

Okay, I think Im gonna attempt to flash my mobo through the bios. But my concern with this is that my computer crashes when I'm in the bios. Is there any other method for me to flash the mobo without entering the bios? Sorry for these noob questions.

Additionally, my computer is at stock right now and I don't have any free parts laying around to test my components =(.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac20 View Post

I actually just caught that he did that after my post. Why companies recommend you use their crappy utilities I will never understand, except maybe in the hopes that youll break it and be forced to buy another. Then again though, if a company gave me a crappy utility that broke the product in question, the last thing I would ever do is buy from that company again.

However, the fact that the computer runs fine EXCEPT HEAVY LOAD implies that the flash went through fine, at least in my opinion. I've never messed up a bios flash before so I'm unsure if it would even work to that extent if you did. Sounds again like a heat issue b/c of the heavy load aspect you mentioned.
Why people flash their BIOS when things are running well is beyond me... It's not even close to the top of the list when there is a problem.

Anyways i agree with above, BIOS would seem fine it is just not jiving correctly with some of your hardware. Revert back or seek and destroy the issue.

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,445 Posts
^^^I only recommend that the OP flash his bios to the original bios. So that he could start it at a clean state. Then work it out to see where the problems. I know flashing bios does not solve the problem, but I see that OP started having problem since flashing the BIOS. Therefore, I recommend he go back to its original state and see where the problem lies.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethe3 View Post

^^^I only recommend that the OP flash his bios to the original bios. So that he could start it at a clean state. Then work it out to see where the problems. I know flashing bios does not solve the problem, but I see that OP started having problem since flashing the BIOS. Therefore, I recommend he go back to its original state and see where the problem lies.
I wasn't calling you out, I agree with your advice. I was talking about the OP
thumb.gif

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

I called MSI and they agreed with what you guys said and told me to update my BIOS via USB stick. Well this method did not work since the computer crashes in the bios. They ended up telling me to RMA it. Yea so basically don't ever use live update.

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manischewitz View Post

Update

I called MSI and they agreed with what you guys said and told me to update my BIOS via USB stick. Well this method did not work since the computer crashes in the bios. They ended up telling me to RMA it. Yea so basically don't ever use live update.
I never understood why MSI included this in the first place. Pretty stupid.

And also, NEVER, NEVER flash BIOS in the OS. Doesn't matter whatever reason you have. I find that flashing the old way (USB or floppy) is more safe. Just a tip for you guys all out there. *yes, I flashed tons of bios before on different motherboards*

1 - 14 of 14 Posts