Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey!

I just got my FC-2 and hooked it up (love it!) I have 3 fans on it so far, 1 Ultra Kaze and 2 Delta TFC1212DE the Delta's are in the front next to the HDD, everything works fine until I turn on 1 of the Delta fans even on the lowest speed my PC just hangs and won't respond until I turn the fan off completely.

why is it doing this? I can't possibly be running out of power with this PSU because of a fan while the system is idle.

so what am I missing? is it too close to the HDD? would that matter?.

any help is appreciated
thumb.gif

·
Registered
872 Posts
How is the fan hooked up? Are you using a mobo header or a molex connector? If mobo, is it a pwm header? Have you tried hooking the delta fan up to a power connector that a working fan is on (to eliminate the connector/header as the issue)?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's hooked up through a Lamptron FC-2 controller which has 3 molex connectors, I'm only using 1 of them if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Unplugging a HDD does that same effect. Listen to your HDD when you start up the fan. If the HDD stops spinning you've found the culprit.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxi View Post

Unplugging a HDD does that same effect. Listen to your HDD when you start up the fan. If the HDD stops spinning you've found the culprit.
can't really hear the HDD with the fan on but I have a feeling it is the problem, I had them both running when I first tested it and windows wouldn't boot, tried to boot with them off and windows was corrupted somehow and in a restart loop.

if it is the HDD what can I do then? what's the cause?.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldman11 View Post

can't really hear the HDD with the fan on but I have a feeling it is the problem, I had them both running when I first tested it and windows wouldn't boot, tried to boot with them off and windows was corrupted somehow and in a restart loop.

if it is the HDD what can I do then? what's the cause?.
Is the HDD run from molex for some reason? If so then is the same molex cable used for the fan controller? I've heard of problems caused by having HDDs and fans on same molex cable.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxi View Post

Is the HDD run from molex for some reason? If so then is the same molex cable used for the fan controller? I've heard of problems caused by having HDDs and fans on same molex cable.
it has its own sata power connector coming directly from the PSU the only other thing connected with this is the DVD-RW, although I might be wrong I don't remember if that cable has molex on it I need to check that.

maybe something wrong with my PSU? I hope not.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldman11 View Post

it has its own sata power connector coming directly from the PSU the only other thing connected with this is the DVD-RW, although I might be wrong I don't remember if that cable has molex on it I need to check that.

maybe something wrong with my PSU? I hope not.
Well, I'm stumped
redface.gif

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nope nothing else is connected on the same cable as the HDD,the fan controller also has it's own molex coming from the PSU.

I don't get it, why does it hang when the fan is working
doh.gif

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Can you post some pics of the wiring?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post

Can you post some pics of the wiring?
its a pretty small case so they are all bunched up behind the HDD cage can't really take a picture of it since you can't see much, I'd have to move everything to do that its getting late so I rather not.

but what would cause the HDD to stop responding when the fan is running? it's all connected separately and it only happens when 1 of the Deltas is working.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright I narrowed it down to just 1 of the 2 fans I thought both cause it(for now it seems only 1 does), HDD is mounted almost at the top of the bracket so the bottom fan is not very close to it but the upper fan is right next to it probably a few cm its really close to it.

how come the fan is affecting the hard drive? is it too close?

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
does it vibrate alot?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post

does it vibrate alot?
the fan? not really it fits pretty tight not much room to move when I close the front panel it might be touching the hdd a little but I still don't understand how that causes an issue
thinking.gif

I have nowhere else to put the hard drive, I could just place it on the bottom of the case on something would that be an issue?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts