Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone help me, my computer is not booting at all. teh hdd light and power light come on when i press the on button, all the fans spin up, but nothing else happens. it has done this before but before now it has always recovered after a while. last time i took it into the shop, and they tried it with a different motherboard and it was fine, but when they sent the motherboard away to the service center it came back saying theres nothing worng with it.

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Make sure everything is seated correctly and try your ram in different slots, only use 1 stick if you have 2 etc. See if that gets you going.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Which brand is your power supply?

It still looks like a motherboard problem to me, maybe you could try resetting the CMOS? Does all the other hardware work properly (like in another system)?
And you could also try another stick of ram if you have any.

·
Registered
15 Posts
before replacing anything try looking at your CPU

might have a few bent pins
I know I did when this happened to my computer a few days ago.

Take it off look at it with a mag glass and a bright light

Any bends you can either bend them yourself or take them into a place that will do it for you or send it back and have it warrantied.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quick question (may sound a little dumb but) when im resetting the bios, i know i need to shut it down and close the reset jumper, but do i need to try and boot it before moving the jumper back again, or does the motherboard battery take care of it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
in my asus i have shut down pc. first to remove battery then move jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 and wiat about 10 seconds then move the jumper back to 1-2 pins and replace battery then power up pc agian.

·
Registered
111 Posts
a friends motherbaord did that but after asking what happened a million goddamn times he said he was taking the harddrive out with one of those powerdrills, then he said there was an arch of electricity that was exhanged between the tip of the drill and the screw so there ya go.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewart

quick question (may sound a little dumb but) when im resetting the bios, i know i need to shut it down and close the reset jumper, but do i need to try and boot it before moving the jumper back again, or does the motherboard battery take care of it?

NEVER Power up with the CMOS in reset mode!!!
Your issues sound like a PS to me too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts