Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Overclock.net forum user
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a computer in my basement that I don't really use.
I heard its possible to buy a PCI card that records your TV programs on your hard drive.

I know I can connect my PC to my TV because its a big 52" Sony and I have a lot of inputs. I was wondering if I need a really good computer for that and which card do I need?

the computer is
Core 2 duo e6600 @ 2.4ghz
2 gbs of RAM
eVGA 7900
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
160 gb WD HD and a 320 seagate HD

Thanks

·
Well, hello there...
4,500 Posts

·
Well, hello there...
4,500 Posts
The PCI TV card will do the trick. You'll need the DVI to HDMI adapter your video card came with and a long enough HDMI cable to connect to your TV. The cable from your cable TV will plug into the TV card. Here are the specs for the card: http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=pr...2&prod_no=1948

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacG32
View Post

The PCI TV card will do the trick. You'll need the DVI to HDMI adapter your video card came with and a long enough HDMI cable to connect to your TV. The cable from your cable TV will plug into the TV card. Here are the specs for the card: http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=pr...2&prod_no=1948

OP,

Keep in mind that HDMI cables are best used under a 40ft length.

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
As for the specs of the PC, that's pretty much perfect for a simple HTPC. Just get a TV Tuner/Recorder and DVI-->HDMI cable, and you should be good to go. Might want to get a larger HDD if you're storing directly on the PC. If you run a small server/home network with other PC's with more storage then you should be fine with the 160GB.

·
Overclock.net forum user
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastiffman
View Post

OP,

Keep in mind that HDMI cables are best used under a 40ft length.

Thanks everyone, I will probably buy that MSI TV tuner card. Another thing is why under 40ft a for HDMI cable?
Is it possible to record more than 1 TV show at the time?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Unless I missed it you need to say where you live, what format you are recording, how many shows you want to watch/record at the same time.

·
Overclock.net forum user
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Regular format to 720p and would it be possible to record 2 or 3 show at the same time?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
what is regular format? ATSC, NTSC, DVB? Is this over the air or from your cable company? For a good answer you need to give details.

Hey guys my REGULAR computer crashes what should I buy to fix it, thanks....

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Ignore hick. The number of channels you can record will depend on the specific tv tuner. And from experience Hauppauge makes the best tv tuners.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yes ignore hick, let me recommend you a dvb-t tuner when you need an atsc or ntsc. Makes sense that we do not know what you want.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts