Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a

PSU: Corsair 650tx
Motherboard: ga-890fxa-ud5
Video Card: GTX 460 and GTS450
CPU: Athlon II 245 Regor

I unplugged my computer to move my GTS450 to another slot to put a GTX460 in the first. The computer turned on fine but I accidentally pulled out the SATA cable from my hard drive so I unplugged the power cord then proceeded to fix the cable.
When I plugged in the power cord the computer would turn on and off rapidly until I unplugged the power cord and it was doing this without me pressing the "Power" button.

I don't know exactly what I did but I managed to fix the problem with the PSU rapidly turning on and off but now it won't post nor beep.

I have an Artic Freezer 13 which sits high enough that I can fit my finger to touch the CPU and it's not producing and heat at all.

I don't think my motherboard is dead because I unplugged the PCI cables from the video card and the fan works.

I tried clearing CMOS via the push button, removing the battery, and I even tried using a jumper.

Does anyone have any idea what I did to my computer?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Standoffs installed/installed properly (none or to many is no good) ?!
Is the power button ok ?!
Remove the power button connector and use a screw driver to start the PC (short carefully the 2 pins where the PW button connector pins go).
Try another PSU.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Remove everything (except cpu) and see if it beeps. And then start working from there. If it beeps the cpu is alive (or the mobo I don't know)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took out the motherboard and placed it on a box with only CPU, RAM, and Video Card installed and I'm still got nothing. I don't know if the PSU in this old computer is compatible. I don't know the terminology but the bigger one is only 16 or 18 pin and the one for the CPU has 4 pins.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As the above person said, use quality psu's. Using a low brand psu will generally lead to things failing due to dirty power or things not getting the correct amount of power. That does sound like a mobo issue, or something to do with a short aswell. That's really the only thing you could do is test and see how things turn out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dromihetes
View Post

Standoffs installed/installed properly (none or to many is no good) ?!
Is the power button ok ?!
Remove the power button connector and use a screw driver to start the PC (short carefully the 2 pins where the PW button connector pins go).
Try another PSU.

I think I know how I messed it up. When I was installing the second video card I pulled out the power connecter that goes on the two pins. I probably put them on the wrong pins when I reseated it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkness889
View Post

That could possibly be the problem, it would be creating a short or a loop of power if that's what happened.

Since the fan on my GTX460 (w/o PCI cables connected) and cpu fan work I can assume my motherboard is still good?
The only two components that could be damaged are my CPU and possibly RAM?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe, you'd have to test them to be 100% sure. I would test it all to make sure that something else didn't fry/die in the midst of all that.

But for the most part it could be your ram. For the most part ram failures usually create beeps on a POST, If it's not doing that it might be your cpu then.

But I would check everything like I said, just to make sure your replacing the right part.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

View Post

Maybe, you'd have to test them to be 100% sure. I would test it all to make sure that something else didn't fry/die in the midst of all that.

But for the most part it could be your ram. For the most part ram failures usually create beeps on a POST, If it's not doing that it might be your cpu then.

But I would check everything like I said, just to make sure your replacing the right part.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has a DDR3 compatible motherboard so I can't test my RAM.

I went ahead and ordered a new CPU. Hopefully it'll work, if not I'm going to bang my head on this desk.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well its unfortunate you can't get it to boot at all to even run tests on the memory. Did you try removing one stick at a time and testing that?

If the cpu works and everything else is fine that's not too big of a deal but it sucks having to spend money when you don't want too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

View Post

Well its unfortunate you can't get it to boot at all to even run tests on the memory. Did you try removing one stick at a time and testing that?

If the cpu works and everything else is fine that's not too big of a deal but it sucks having to spend money when you don't want too.

Would bad memory stop the computer from booting?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It would, it would almost always beep. Though there has been a few times when I was fixing computers that it was the rams fault but no sounds were produced at all.

Try one stick at a time and see what happens.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

View Post

It would, it would almost always beep. Though there has been a few times when I was fixing computers that it was the rams fault but no sounds were produced at all.

Try one stick at a time and see what happens.

I tried one stick at a time and it still won't boot.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

View Post

Well it seems it is most likely your cpu. Your using the gtx460 as a main card and the gts450 as a phys-x card I assume?

I plan to use the GTX460 as the main and the 450 as the PhysX but right now I only have the 460 plugged in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts