Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Accurate specs in signature

Was working 100% perfectly last night, shut her down to go to work.

Came home, hit power button and nothing. Tried hitting the power button my motherboard as well with zero luck. Tested PSU on other computer and it booted fine. Tested other computer's PSU on mine and same thing, nothing. When I say nothing, I mean my PSU fan doesn't even spin when the power button is pressed. The powerd and tpu LED's on my motherboard light up fine as long as power is connected, but it doesn't not even attempt to post. Literally zero things have changed since last night so I am not sure why it isn't working. Reset cmos, reseated ram and CPU as well as unplugged everything not 100% necessary to start the computer. Any way to see if its the mobo or cpu without going out and buying a new one? Or any other ideas?

·
Turtle Rig Fan
2,474 Posts
Wouldn't the fans still spin if the cpu was bad?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aDyerSituation View Post

Wouldn't the fans still spin if the cpu was bad?
I have yet to have a bad CPU so I wasn't 100% sure. The fans on my radiator weren't spinning at all though. I was already thinking bad mobo but I wanted other opinions. Thanks for confirming that theory
Quote:
Originally Posted by loud681 View Post

Could be a defective motherboard or RAM. Might want to try the RAM in another computer if possible.
Sadly my only other computer uses DDR3, I don't think it would be common for all 4 sticks to die at once though? I was thinking most likely motherboard since nothing at all happens.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,819 Posts
The PC should still be able to boot even if the RAM is broken.
Sounds more like the motherboard is dead.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by loud681 View Post

You could try with one stick at a time and see what happens
Tried that with each of the 4 sticks with no luck. Couldn't hurt to try and dream lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

The PC should still be able to boot even if the RAM is broken.
Sounds more like the motherboard is dead.
I am going to contact ASUS on monday, probably just buy a new board in the interim and then sell the RMA'd one when it comes back. That Sabertooth looks fancy haha

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced motherboard with an Asus ROG Hero VIII Alpha and it works perfectly. Thanks for the input guys

/thread

1 - 8 of 8 Posts