Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My computer will not even turn on! The fans won't spin or nothing at all. I've tried new RAM, replacing the graphics card, clearing the BIOS by shorting the pins. Whenever I flip the power switch on the PSU, the LEDs turn on briefly. Any idea what is going on?

·
Invalid Media
2,134 Posts
Hello,

My computer will not even turn on! The fans won't spin or nothing at all. I've tried new RAM, replacing the graphics card, clearing the BIOS by shorting the pins. Whenever I flip the power switch on the PSU, the LEDs turn on briefly. Any idea what is going on?

...unfortunately, there is a huge range of issues that might be causing that, including a dead PSU, CPU or mobo (but doesn't have to be). One weird one I once ran into was very similar to what you describe - a brief flicker of LEDs than nothing. After a lot of troubleshooting, it turned out to be the SSD Sata connection which had twisted and was causing a short. But that's pretty rare as a cause for what you describe.

...in any event, looking at your post and what you already tried, do you have another PSU you can try out in your setup ?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have another PSU, but my current PSU is very high quality (Corsair AX850 made by Seasonic from years back). Still, I'll give it a try. Thanks for your help btw.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried out another PSU and no luck. The RGB lights still flash as before, but it still doesn't turn on...

·
Invalid Media
2,134 Posts
...another one down, xyz to go. Do you have another CPU known to be ok and that would work with that board / chipset (or can you borrow one) ?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...another one down, xyz to go. Do you have another CPU known to be ok and that would work with that board / chipset (or can you borrow one) ?
I wish I could say yes, but I don't. The CPU and Motherboard are less than a week old.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If the mother board has a speaker connection out it get one made for a motherboard. It may be giving beep codes.

Start disconnecting USB one at a time, HDDS one at a time, the SSDs add on cards one at a time, RAM one a time.

It should still give a beep code if the if all there is is cpu and mother board.

I generally buy only Motherboards that have 8 segment post code LEDs

I did buy a B350 that does not have one and they usually don't come with tiny speaker

Check your volts on the Motherboard connects first. 12 volts should be between 11.85 and 12.15. 5 volts 4.90 to 5.10 and 3 volts should be + or - 0.1 volts. A 4 digit meter is better for that.

Generally I start trouble shooting with a PC beep speaker.

Example of a beep speaker:

https://www.newegg.com/p/2ZR-0036-00041?Description=motherboard beep speakers&cm_re=motherboard_beep speakers-_-9SIA4SR6UT7658-_-Product

·
Bench, Dead, Squat
421 Posts
Is your case hooked up to the right header on the mobo for power?

• Rep+
Reactions: hour1702

·
Bench, Dead, Squat
421 Posts
Sorry, didn't read that the RGB stops after a second of the PSU being flipped on.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have somewhat fixed the problem. For me I unplugged the 24 pin connector and plugged it back in. I also reseated the power button plug. IDK which fixed it, but one of them did. I can now boot into Windows.

However, I now noticed that I can only boot with one stick of RAM. Both sticks work; the right slot seems to not work. I should mentioned the motherboard is an Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming. RAM is Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB (CMK16GX4M2A2400C16) and the BIOS is updated to the newest version.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Have you pulled your CPU and reseated it yet? Could be a bent pin in the socket or on the CPU not making a proper connection. I had a bent pin on my motherboard which caused 2 of the 4 DIMM slots not to work.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I took out the CPU and noticed no bent pins. However, I noticed a tiny bit of thermal paste on one of the pins. But I still see gold, so it's not covering the pin. I think it's because the stock cooler comes with SO much thermal paste. Probably too much.

·
Invalid Media
2,134 Posts
So I took out the CPU and noticed no bent pins. However, I noticed a tiny bit of thermal paste on one of the pins. But I still see gold, so it's not covering the pin. I think it's because the stock cooler comes with SO much thermal paste. Probably too much.

...glad to see that you've made substantial progress ! FYI, I recently fixed an old X99 mobo w/ various bent pins and brought it back from one to four memory channels (more >here). If you do decide to follow any of those tips, you do so at your own risk, and hopefully with abundant caution !

With that out of the way, it may be the case that a pin is not visibly bent, just ever so slightly lower than the others, and not making good contact - worth looking at it with a magnifying glass. I have had brand new mobos (LGA 2011) where I had to re-seat the CPU and also the cooler several times before all memory channels worked properly. Also, I would make sure that no thermal paste is on any pins (or the bottom of the CPU) even if you can see the gold / pads. But again, compared to yesterday, you're a lot further down the road already !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts