Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 632 Posts

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
The usual suspects' jimmies have been rustled by the results, as always. I bet AMD has cut deals to include these enhancements in all forthcoming titles.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

The usual suspects' jimmies have been rustled by the results, as always. I bet AMD has cut deals to include these enhancements in all forthcoming titles.
Well Nvidia performance hasn't been cut by 20% without adding single new effect so it looks like it wasn't AMD sponsored game.

·
OC Enthusiast
1,054 Posts
nice boost for amd cards and nvidia might not have the driver ready because if you guys compare other games under vulkan (linux) they perform much better on their cards

time will tell

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,928 Posts
LOL......

Talk about speaking out of both sides of your mouth. Jeeeeeesus. LOL

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
So i tried both my 290 and 7970. Even with my 7970 and the 2 ACEs when i enable TSSAA the performance is exactly the same as SMAA.

On my xeon there is almost zero cpu bottleneck

·
Zen
1,108 Posts
Still waiting for multi-gpu support.....

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post

So i tried both my 290 and 7970. Even with my 7970 and the 2 ACEs when i enable TSSAA the performance is exactly the same as SMAA.

Then this means GCN1 wasnt taken into account for asynchronous compute. because of minimal gains or the few ACEs dont make a difference?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I think this is a good example of performance gains that can be achieved by the GPUs; a one trick pony, compared to, for example, a CPU. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia (and/or AMD?) start to "incentify" developers not to give away "free performance", since it inherently poses a threat to their business model of yesterday.... Lol

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Holy smokes.

Those are some impressive gains for AMD. The 480 really shows it's weakness, here, next to past chips.. but AMD is looking much better overall. I've been waiting a long time to see what kind of performance was sitting "unused" due to Direct X stagnation.

Fiji looks spectacular until you see it's original OpenGL performance numbers. OpenGL doesn't like HBM, maybe. The gains certainly showcase Direct X limitations that have been plaguing AMD. I'm really looking forward to having an API that'll advance at the same pace AMD has been for the last few years; I hope Vulkan does can keep pace. AMD won't be the only one introducing hardware in the hopes that the industry might support it, if this keeps up. NV might start playing ball too, and bringing things to the table that can benefit all consumers.

Things are getting exciting again. I'm stoked.

·
Banned
3,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post

Holy smokes.

Those are some impressive gains for AMD. The 480 really shows it's weakness, here, next to past chips.. but AMD is looking much better overall. I've been waiting a long time to see what kind of performance was sitting "unused" due to Direct X stagnation.

Fiji looks spectacular until you see it's original OpenGL performance numbers. OpenGL doesn't like HBM, maybe. The gains certainly showcase Direct X limitations that have been plaguing AMD. I'm really looking forward to having an API that'll advance at the same pace AMD has been for the last few years; I hope Vulkan does can keep pace. AMD won't be the only one introducing hardware in the hopes that the industry might support it, if this keeps up. NV might start playing ball too, and bringing things to the table that can benefit all consumers.

Things are getting exciting again. I'm stoked.
Lmao, it has half the specs of those past chips...

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCLimax View Post

Lmao, it has half the specs of those past chips...
It's also a double shrink, at 14nm FF. You can get an AIB 8GB R9 390 for $259 on Newegg right now.

Sure, the TDP. But, die shrinks have always meant better TDP, price, and performance in the past. At least, it did before we took a 5 year hiatus on shrinks. It's a weak release.. especially considering it's a long overdue double shrink.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Then this means GCN1 wasnt taken into account for asynchronous compute. because of minimal gains or the few ACEs dont make a difference?
Dunno.
DOOM 123% Vulcan Performance Increase on R9 280x A lot of that is probably from Vulkan itself but that's a massive improvement.

Is the compute option checked in the settings sugar?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejobloggs View Post

Is there any Vulkan vs DX bechmarks? Not really interested in Vulkan vs OpenGL
Vulkan and DX12 should be pretty much the same; they have pretty similar designs and goals, they're both inspired by/based on Mantle, etc. DX12 has the advantage of XB1 support and MS' blessing, Vulkan has the advantage of Windows 7-8.1, Linux, and Android (and possibly macOS/iOS at some point in the future, if Apple decides to start supporting it). There are some other technical details that might become important in the future, especially with regard to extensions and feature levels, but as far as right now, the performance should be close enough between the two that it doesn't really matter.

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post

It's also a double shrink, at 14nm FF. You can get an AIB 8GB R9 390 for $259 on Newegg right now.

Sure, the TDP. But, die shrinks have always meant better TDP, price, and performance in the past. At least, it did before we took a 5 year hiatus on shrinks. It's a weak release.. especially considering it's a long overdue double shrink.
390 is always working too close to its power limit, so just like the tonga series gpus, the dilemma of picking between the lesser of the two evils comes at a premium.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

390 is always working too close to its power limit, so just like the tonga series gpus, the dilemma of picking between the lesser of the two evils comes at a premium.
I don't recall any issues like that. I recall the reference 290 coming with new software to throttle clocks as it approached thermal limits, but never problems with power limits like the 480 appears to have.

I'd prefer the 480, of course, because of the TDP. Nevertheless, it's not hyper-critical to call the 480 a bit of a disappointment for not outperforming the 390 by a large margin considering it's roughly the same price. Die shrinks have always brought improvements to price, performance and TDP. This time around, we're only getting an improvement to TDP. No price improvement, no performance improvement.

I'm an optimist, but that's a downgrade from what we're used to seeing from die shrinks. I'm sorry, it just is.

21 - 40 of 632 Posts