Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello After selling my system due to financial problems and canceling the laptop i was about to buy + savings and bonus money coming in this week i am finally ready to buy a new system for myself. I have a budget of $2,000 dollars and I have a samsung T220 moniter 22 inch which i am going o game/watch movies etc on. I am a very careful shopper and tend to do a ton of research before i shell out my hard earned money. I usually tend to get something that would last me 3+ years so i don't have to worry about upgrades etc. I am still new to overclocking in general also so i only do minimal overclocking. Considering i don't have a computer to use and have been using my cousins/neighbors pc to do my usual business on internet and e-mail etc I need to get something soon.

Anyways I hear all this talk about Core i7 coming out this week and i was wondering ( i know this will be asked thousands of times please forgive me if its been asked ) should i build a system around Q9550 or wait until the 17th for core I7. I was thinking of first of all buying this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112144

I have never had problems with lian li I am starting to hate mid atx towers because new graphics cards etc are gigantic and its a pain in the ass to put the stuff together in my little case. also its all aluminum and light weight not a 50 pound metallic case. is this case any good? or should i get something else? I will only buy all aluminum case with at least 4 fans I suck at water cooling so i think i will be using air only for the mean time.

Anyways I have had very bad experience with technology released around first time such as electronics etc which almost always come out with problems glitches bugs etc that company fix after years and years of being used by people not to mentioned DOA stuff. does this happen often with pc components and are we expected to see a lot of this?

Next of all what about ir cpu coolers I hate the new push in pins they used for 775 cpus and i have always been afraid to use those like true that needs to remove stuff from expensive board lol will they be changing this for I7?

Anyways any information is tremendously appreciated i apologize for any mistakes i haven't been informed much on I7 all i know its i would hate to buy expensive old technology around the time new stuff come out and value of my things to go down in matters of days. please share your thoughts on this topic about someone without any computers looking o buy new things.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I think you'd be hard pressed to build a complete i7 system for 2000. An X58 motherboard is ~$500, then another ~$500 for the CPU. $200+ for a Raid 0 drive array, $200+ for a monitor, another $200 for a decent full-tower, $150 for the PSU, $450 for a video card, $50 for CPU cooling. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but IMO for a budget of $2000, you'd be better off with Core 2. i7 doesn't really get you much in gaming either, I've heard its about 15% better in games.

Apparently they're still coming out with new Core 2 extremes, new (unconfirmed) 9850

http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...tel-q9850.html

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jesus Christ were did you get those prices, I already have monitor like i said Samsung T220, I am not going to buy the extreme CPU line of I7 i will buy whatever its mainstream and switch it in the future for something better. Video card I am thinking of getting a ati 4870 for 280 bucks. Are the x58 going o cost 500 bucks ? thats not worth it if they are they they crazy lol. i wont pay more than 400 for a motherboard and thats at most. They should price it around 350 dollars anything over that its ridiculously overpriced.

Anyways so far I got the lian li full atx tower and a ati 4870 1GB for 280 bucks thats a total of 480 dollars.

·
Registered
254 Posts
that doesn't give us the link to your stuff, I think you will have to take a screenshot or save it as a wishlist. For sure the new i7 core is going to be expensive at first, but that is the price you pay for the latest and greatest. Hopefully it will start to drive the Core2 prices down and you can build a sweet machine then.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
You've recently been experiencing financial problems, yet have your mind set on a $2,000 gaming rig? I'm seriously not trying to be rude, but may want to consider getting something a little more "budget minded". You can build a good gaming rig for under 1 Grand easily these days.

EDIT: Here you go

Under $1,000:

CPU: Intel E8400 - $164.99
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - $31.99 ($21.99 after MIR)
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro - $114.99 ($99.99 after MIR)
GFX Card: ATI HIS Radeon HD4850 - $174.99 ($144.99 after MIR)
PSU: Corsair 650TX - $92.74 ($72.74 after MIR)
RAM: Corsair Dominator 2x2GB DDR2-800 - $59.99 ($19.99 after MIR)
HDD: Western Digital 640GB - $74.99
DVD+RW: Samsung 22X SATA - $24.99

Total: $839.66 ($734.66 after mail-in-rebates)

That leaves about $160 for shipping and a case. (Not counting $105 in MIR).

Note: You could easily go even lower by opting for an Intel E7300, Gigabyte P35-DS3L, Radeon HD4830, and/or Corsair 550VX PSU.

You could shave even more off the price tag by opting for an Intel E5200, Radeon HD4670, and/or Corsair 450VX PSU. These may be toward the lower tier in the "enthusiast/gaming" category, but they're still solid components that can play even newer games respectably.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Well, we can't see your shopping list.. post item by item or do what Fritz suggested...

Other than that, it depends how hardcore you wanna go. Personally, if I had 2k to spend, I'd wait for deals and slowly peice together an i7. Monster of a CPU.

However, if yo uwant something right away, you can find deals on pretty much any other quad or duo... so ya.

Plus, it'll be more fun playing with the i7

However, if you don't have the time to wait or whatnot, then you're gonna end up shelling out more than you should for the PC... and if you're financially tight and need a PC right away, i7 is a bad choice.

Hope that helps

Good luck

PS. Depending on where you live, I might be able to get you some super deals on PC stuff, so ya... PM me or email me if interested

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I would reconsider going i7 just yet--not because I doubt it's worth, but because prices are exorbitant right now since it's just been released. Right now isn't the best time to dump $2k into a new rig--because you'll either be buying the highest-end of the "trailing" tech with your $2k (i.e Core2--not saying that it's not going to be good, only that it will not be the best investment of $2k), or you'll be wasting a lot on the premiums for the newest tech. My advice would be to get some super-cheap components for the short term (like the bare bare minimum to play the games you want to play), and save the rest of the $ to upgrade to a i7-based system in about 6 months--I'd venture to say that motherboard prices will be a lot more reasonable as well as CPU prices. If you don't want to worry about upgrading your system for another 3 years and you want a good i7 system without wasting too much money, you should wait a while. Besides, a crappy C2D (like a 2180) at 3GHz with a good gfx card--like a 4870 or 4870X2 and 2GB of RAM will still likely take you a long way. And you can keep your gfx card for your i7 build and not lose too much money on the temporary CPU, mobo and RAM. A 2180, DS3L, and 2GB G.Skill kit will only set you back $70+$85+$55=$210. Add a cheapo $15 DVD drive and your 4870 ($270) or 4870X2 ($519, but not worth it at the moment if you ask me--I'd just go with the 4870 1GB model), and you're investing maybe $480 to $740 for a decent gaming system. Upgrade the CPU to something better if you'd like. That will get you going for a while, and you'll have lots of cash saved up to migrate to i7. Not bad for $480 system that will max pretty much any game out, and likely last through the games released for the next year (I'm just guessing). At which time, hardware prices for i7 will go down quite a bit, and your $1500+ money left at that time will go a lot farther than $2k right now for a core i7 system. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post
I would reconsider going i7 just yet--not because I doubt it's worth, but because prices are exorbitant right now since it's just been released. Right now isn't the best time to dump $2k into a new rig--because you'll either be buying the highest-end of the "trailing" tech with your $2k (i.e Core2--not saying that it's not going to be good, only that it will not be the best investment of $2k), or you'll be wasting a lot on the premiums for the newest tech. My advice would be to get some super-cheap components for the short term (like the bare bare minimum to play the games you want to play), and save the rest of the $ to upgrade to a i7-based system in about 6 months--I'd venture to say that motherboard prices will be a lot more reasonable as well as CPU prices. If you don't want to worry about upgrading your system for another 3 years and you want a good i7 system without wasting too much money, you should wait a while. Besides, a crappy C2D (like a 2180) at 3GHz with a good gfx card--like a 4870 or 4870X2 and 2GB of RAM will still likely take you a long way. And you can keep your gfx card for your i7 build and not lose too much money on the temporary CPU, mobo and RAM. A 2180, DS3L, and 2GB G.Skill kit will only set you back $70+$85+$55=$210. Add a cheapo $15 DVD drive and your 4870 ($270) or 4870X2 ($519, but not worth it at the moment if you ask me--I'd just go with the 4870 1GB model), and you're investing maybe $480 to $740 for a decent gaming system. Upgrade the CPU to something better if you'd like. That will get you going for a while, and you'll have lots of cash saved up to migrate to i7. Not bad for $480 system that will max pretty much any game out, and likely last through the games released for the next year (I'm just guessing). At which time, hardware prices for i7 will go down quite a bit, and your $1500+ money left at that time will go a lot farther than $2k right now for a core i7 system. Just my humble opinion.
Paragraphs man

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Personally I think that any attempt to stretch hardware out any more than a couple years is futile. Also one of the great things about overclocking components is to stretch out your performance/dollar ratio. If you really want consistent performance without breaking the bank it makes more sense to upgrade to the medium price range every year or two, stretching out performance with a healthy overclock.

That lian-li case is great if you have the room for it.

·
Banned
1,948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
You've recently been experiencing financial problems, yet have your mind set on a $2,000 gaming rig? I'm seriously not trying to be rude, but may want to consider getting something a little more "budget minded". You can build a good gaming rig for under 1 Grand easily these days.

EDIT: Here you go

Under $1,000:

CPU: Intel E8400 - $164.99
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - $31.99 ($21.99 after MIR)
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro - $114.99 ($99.99 after MIR)
GFX Card: ATI HIS Radeon HD4850 - $174.99 ($144.99 after MIR)
PSU: Corsair 650TX - $92.74 ($72.74 after MIR)
RAM: Corsair Dominator 2x2GB DDR2-800 - $59.99 ($19.99 after MIR)
HDD: Western Digital 640GB - $74.99
DVD+RW: Samsung 22X SATA - $24.99

Total: $839.66 ($734.66 after mail-in-rebates)

That leaves about $160 for shipping and a case. (Not counting $105 in MIR).

Note: You could easily go even lower by opting for an Intel E7300, Gigabyte P35-DS3L, Radeon HD4830, and/or Corsair 550VX PSU.

You could shave even more off the price tag by opting for an Intel E5200, Radeon HD4670, and/or Corsair 450VX PSU. These may be toward the lower tier in the "enthusiast/gaming" category, but they're still solid components that can play even newer games respectably.
That's a fantastic setup, but I'd offer the Q9450 or Q9550 for about $30 more or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post
I would reconsider going i7 just yet--not because I doubt it's worth, but because prices are exorbitant right now since it's just been released.

Right now isn't the best time to dump $2k into a new rig--because you'll either be buying the highest-end of the "trailing" tech with your $2k (i.e Core2--not saying that it's not going to be good, only that it will not be the best investment of $2k), or you'll be wasting a lot on the premiums for the newest tech.

My advice would be to get some super-cheap components for the short term (like the bare bare minimum to play the games you want to play), and save the rest of the $ to upgrade to a i7-based system in about 6 months--I'd venture to say that motherboard prices will be a lot more reasonable as well as CPU prices. If you don't want to worry about upgrading your system for another 3 years and you want a good i7 system without wasting too much money, you should wait a while. Besides, a crappy C2D (like a 2180) at 3GHz with a good gfx card--like a 4870 or 4870X2 and 2GB of RAM will still likely take you a long way. And you can keep your gfx card for your i7 build and not lose too much money on the temporary CPU, mobo and RAM. A 2180, DS3L, and 2GB G.Skill kit will only set you back $70+$85+$55=$210. Add a cheapo $15 DVD drive and your 4870 ($270) or 4870X2 ($519, but not worth it at the moment if you ask me--I'd just go with the 4870 1GB model), and you're investing maybe $480 to $740 for a decent gaming system.

Upgrade the CPU to something better if you'd like. That will get you going for a while, and you'll have lots of cash saved up to migrate to i7. Not bad for $480 system that will max pretty much any game out, and likely last through the games released for the next year (I'm just guessing). At which time, hardware prices for i7 will go down quite a bit, and your $1500+ money left at that time will go a lot farther than $2k right now for a core i7 system. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello everyone first of all thank you very much for your honest opinions it all makes perfect sense to me now I will gladly take your recommendations on building a nice price/performance rig for the mean time and maybe in another year when I7 its played around with ill sell my old stuff and upgrade to the new stuff.

One question I need to ask is what graphic card and cpu do you guys recommend for me if i want to run games at 1680x1024 only games i play are call of duty 4 and unreal tournament.

So far looking at newegg:
Intel E8400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037
Gigabyte UDP3 P45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128358

I have never used a gigabyte motherboard but a friend of mien swears by them is this a good motherboard sorry i haven't been keeping up with P45 boards my friend told me its awesome board.

Ram since my motherboard looks a hell lot like legos why not match it with some cheap blue rams:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166

what do you guys think so far? would a ati 4850 max settings for call of duty 4 at 1680x1024 i have been asking friends what do they think and some of them told me 4870 better for 24 inch monitors.

anyways sorry for messing up link ill try to fix it later.

·
Banned
1,948 Posts
I'd honestly say if you're holding out for another year, pleeeeease get the quad. You won't regret it. Core 2 Duo is old hat, now.

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
I think you should stop worrying so much on having things that are so expensive.

If you're having financial problems, I really don't see why you're striving for the best of things.

You need to build a budget PC, and build up from that over time.

The reason you have such financial problems could be because you're wanting to spend so much of your money on expensive items.

You can build a really awesome budget computer like I did for under 500, and then slowly build up from that.

Gigabyte boards are awesome by the way. If you really do want to get one, I would get one.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingAlkaiser
View Post

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/Sh...px?Submit=view

what do you guys think of this?

I wouldn't agree on the x2 6000 if you're trying to make a 2000$ PC, that CPU is comparable to the E6450-E6600 which is not all that good nowadays.

Depends, if you want a top of the line, you could go for the Q9550, it's 300$ and performs like 5-10% less than a QX9650, if you are looking for a cheaper CPU then you can try the E8400, it's a good gaming CPU. You could also wait for the I7, its your choice.

DDR2 or DDR3? Which do you want? That should settle the motherboard and the RAM, if you want DDR2 then the Rampage Formula would be the best, if you want DDR3 you can search for X38's/X48's or 790i motherboards.

Crossfire or SLI? Are you looking to crossfire or will you SLi or none?, that will also settle the Chipset

ATI or Nvidia? If you want top of the line then the 4870X2 would be the best, Nvidia would be GTX280, if not then the 4870 1GB or the GTX260 would be good.

Good luck on the purchase

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Sorry about my non-paragraph post--silly me, I thought people were intelligent and mature enough to read without needing paragraphs...what are we in 3rd grade...?

I would agree with those who recommended a quad--tbh, my idea of getting a dual core right now is not a good one (I was just going for the cheapest immediate build). Def. go with a 45nm though.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will be ordering my new system today and will like your thoughts so far as well as a question.

my price/ performance build:

Intel E8400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128358
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166
Corsair 750w PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006
Ati 4850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161243

I already have lian li mid tower case a 22inch lcd samsung monitor 75gb western digital raptor 10krpm( might sell and get 150gb version )

what do you guys think so far?

One important question i want to ask is about he heatsink. someone recommended the one you mount to the motherboard but i have never done it before and have always been afraid to try it out due to inexperience, but i absolutely hate push pin design and might try it out. How hard is it to mount it to the motherboard? from what i see its just removing the old one and replacing it with new bracket so you can screw in heatsink. which heatsink do you guys recommend and what bracket or anythign else i need to purchase?

Also on he graphics card do you think thats a good price for the 4850 ? cheapest its for 150 bucks but this one has nice design for cooling is it worth the extra 20 bucks?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I would also suggest getting a quad, about 1,5 years ago when i got mine it was a stupid thing to do, but now when GTA IV is coming to pc, in the system requirements it says that a quad core is recommended, that means games will be using quad cores int the near future.

But yeah otherwise the e8400 is an amizing cpu.

-FilluX

1 - 20 of 25 Posts