Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motherboard's shot, and while I wait to get a new one, I was wondering if its possible to access the data on the raid0 drives I have. Its using I believe the ich9r chipset.

So my question is, is there a way to emulate the ich9r chip through software? I'm pretty sure its theoretically possible, but that doesn't mean much

SEMI-IRRELEVANT QUESTION: will a raid 0 rack set up on a ich9r southbride work on a ich10r southbridge board? (backwards compatible?)

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
No. You would have to install the drives on another system with the same RAID controller.

EDIT: Looks like the OP was edited. Yes, you should be able to use the current array on the ICH9R controller.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramenmeal View Post
My motherboard's shot, and while I wait to get a new one, I was wondering if its possible to access the data on the raid0 drives I have. Its using I believe the ich10r chipset.

So my question is, is there a way to emulate the ich9r chip through software? I'm pretty sure its theoretically possible, but that doesn't mean much

SEMI-IRRELEVANT QUESTION: will a raid 0 rack set up on a ich9r southbride work on a ich10r southbridge board? (backwards compatible?)
Theoretically, yes. You should be able to connect the drives to a system with ICH10R and import the RAID. The RAID metadata is stored on the drives themselves, and ICH9R metadata is recognized by ICH10R.

You may be able to access ICH9R array through some version of Linux. Can't recall of the top of my head, but I recall it being suggested that it can be done as a means of RAID data recovery...

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

My motherboard's shot, and while I wait to get a new one, I was wondering if its possible to access the data on the raid0 drives I have. Its using I believe the ich10r chipset.

A array on the ICH10R should work fine on a ICH9R.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

oops, my type severely messed up the question, I wrote a ich10r instead of a ich9r. So, can ich10r chipset use a ich9r raid array?
The two chipsets are forwards/backwards compatible, so arrays created on either one should be accessible on the other.

I just won't make it a habit of moving arrays around too frequently though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts