Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

about 3 mins ago my computer randomly turned off and is not turning back on. Im not too sure what happened, I did NOT upgrade anything. I tried to turn it on with the power button on my case and on mobo but its not turning on. Please help
frown.gif

·
Registered
220 Posts
Check connections to wall/surge protector, if you're using a surge maybe it needs to be reset or something stupid like that.

Aside from that, check for PSU failure. Unplug all the connectors from the pc components and jump it w/ a paper clip on the 20/24 pin connector (green + black wire switch on psu must be off when you insert the clip!) and see if it starts. If it does, you might have a fried motherboard.
frown.gif

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
double-check power connections.

1. is the mobo light on?
2. if no, the either there's a power issue (PSU maybe) or the mobo is dead.
3. does the psu fan turn on when you connect the PSU to an outlet.
4. if not, check the outlet first before you rule for a dead PSU.
5. if the mobo light is on, pull out your GPU and see if it even tries to boot (hopefully, you get warning beeps from the mobo speaker .... if you have it installed ... )

report back with updates

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but the motherboards light on the CLR CMOS and Power button come on, and my psu has all black cables

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update: I tried a different outlet, different PSU, and reset the ram which seemed to work, I took out the GPU and tested it without it and it started up, I installed the GPU and it didnt work. Guess that means my GPU broke
frown.gif

I have 10 fans in my case, I dont think overheating is an issue
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6ZR1 View Post

update: I tried a different outlet, different PSU, and reset the ram which seemed to work, I took out the GPU and tested it without it and it started up, I installed the GPU and it didnt work. Guess that means my GPU broke
frown.gif

wink.gif
lol, that's how my second 6970 died.
opened the case, took out a case fan, and it didn't reboot after.
Can you test the card in a friend's rig? Might be RMA time .. (or an excuse for an upgrade
biggrin.gif
)

·
Dank Souls
9,078 Posts
Quote:

frown.gif

wink.gif
Position of the fans mean just as much.... Although it does not sound like an overheat to me either.

Possible VRM failure on card maybe?..

Hopefully you're still under warranty.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the card in...early April? (I think) I already submitted a support ticket to XFX so hopefully I can get underway with an exchange, till then back to the 4850 lol
biggrin.gif

Also, This may sound extremely n00bish but what/how would VRM fail?
redface.gif

·
Dank Souls
9,078 Posts
Quote:

I bought the card in...early April? (I think) I already submitted a support ticket to XFX so hopefully I can get underway with an exchange, till then back to the 4850 lol
biggrin.gif

Also, This may sound extremely n00bish but what/how would VRM fail?
redface.gif
1) Too much voltage for the amount of VRM's.

2) Manufacture defect.

The VRMs regulate voltage.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you think they'll deny an RMA if I OCd my card? I did NOT mess with voltages at all.

·
AMD Shill
588 Posts
Quote:

Do you think they'll deny an RMA if I OCd my card? I did NOT mess with voltages at all.
I ripped the cooler of my XFX card and they didn't care, I doubt they'll care for an overclock (and you didn't change voltages, so it sounds all good).

XFX is pretty good with warranty terms.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed117 View Post

Just don' tell them if they ask. They cannot prove you overclocked it.
lol, sounds good to me
biggrin.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts