Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Old and Crochity
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Western Digital Corp. (WD) has announced that its shareholders voted to approve its $19 billion acquisition of SanDisk Corp.

The merger is expected to close in the second quarter of the year.

More than 90% of WD's shareholders voted to approve the issuance of WD common stock in connection with the acquisition; 98% of SanDisk shareholders voted to approve the merger.

"This combination brings together two tremendous companies and cultures ideally positioned to capture the growth opportunities in our rapidly evolving industry," WD CEO Steve Milligan said in a statement.

SanDisk, valued at $17 billion, is a major provider of NAND flash memory products, such as SD cards and solid-state drives (SSDs).
source

And I will never buy from SanDisk again.

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,730 Posts
In other words WD realized that they failed and were way to late to the SSD game and this is their way to strong arm themselves into the market

·
Old and Crochity
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazilianloser View Post

I bet you WD and Sandisk will miss you very much.
You vote with your dollars, I don't buy from companies that participate in overt price fixing. WD and Seagate both did, the hell I will buy from either of those companies ever again. They might not miss my business, but I don't miss their shoddy products.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post

You vote with your dollars, I don't buy from companies that participate in overt price fixing. WD and Seagate both did, the hell I will buy from either of those companies ever again. They might not miss my business, but I don't miss their shoddy products.
So then who are you going to purchase your HDDs from?

*crickets*

·
Old and Crochity
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

*crickets*
IT's 2016 who uses hard drives? I've been using SSDs for everything (except in my T3500) for years.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,040 Posts
I never really was a fan of both companies but maybe they will make a better product together. I hope not too many people will lose there jobs over this merger.

The problem iv always had with WD is that every drive i have had from them has failed on me within a year. I never had that issue with my samsung drives. And the issue I always had with sandisk is that there products are overpriced for what they are and tend to be slower then other options in their price range. However everyone has there own experience with such products and my experience might be different then others.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:

IT's 2016 who uses hard drives? I've been using SSDs for everything (except in my T3500) for years.
Man I wish I had your budget to store the 69 TB of data I have on nothing but SSD's!

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

*crickets*
wd is the last place i buy hard drives for any real storage project.

33 2tb drives and they're all seagates and toshibas.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master__Shake View Post

wd is the last place i buy hard drives for any real storage project.

33 2tb drives and they're all seagates and toshibas.
Ditto, WD's are good for game drives and general everyday stuff, When it comes to storagae and mission critical stuff, Seagate, Hitachi, and Toshiba are the most reliable that I've observed over the years.

Just hope SanDisk's quality doesn't suffer as they make some pretty solid flash drives.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Western Digital Corp. (WD) has announced that its shareholders voted to approve its $19 billion acquisition of SanDisk Corp.

The merger is expected to close in the second quarter of the year.

More than 90% of WD's shareholders voted to approve the issuance of WD common stock in connection with the acquisition; 98% of SanDisk shareholders voted to approve the merger.

"This combination brings together two tremendous companies and cultures ideally positioned to capture the growth opportunities in our rapidly evolving industry," WD CEO Steve Milligan said in a statement.

SanDisk, valued at $17 billion, is a major provider of NAND flash memory products, such as SD cards and solid-state drives (SSDs).
source

And I will never buy from SanDisk again.
That's funny. I've been boycotting SanDisk after the way they weaseled out of a warranty claim around 12 years ago on a two year old $116.00 SD card that had a lifetime warranty. Once WD has them fully incorporated into their own management structure, I may start buying San Disk again (although I've had excellent luck with Kingston).

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Curious. There's a lot of WD bashing going on here. I've had excellent luck with WD HDDs.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
When was the last time there was a merger this big in the hardware space? I can't recall

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
SanDisk MicroSD cards have pretty much the best performance and reliability compared to the rest, including Samsung.

My Flash Drives are mostly PNY and Sandisk as well.

SanDisk is a great Flash Memory Corp, WD is all the better for buying them.

Glad Trash like Seagate is not buying Sandisk, like they killed Samsungs HDD's lineup. Would hate to have my Sandisk Drives break before the 2 year mark like most of Seagate's products.
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

ScanDisk MicroSD cards have pretty much the best performance and reliability compared to the rest, including Samsung.

My Flash Drives are mostly PNY and Scandisk as well.

ScanDisk is a great Flash Memory Corp, WD is all the better for buying them.

Glad Trash like Seagate is not buying Scandisc, like they killed Samsungs HDD's lineup. Would hate to have my Scandisk Drives break before the 2 year mark like most of Seagate's products.
tongue.gif
Protip: It is Sandisk. Not Scandisk.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

Curious. There's a lot of WD bashing going on here. I've had excellent luck with WD HDDs.
It's just the new company to bash because they were once the best brand and now:
- Lack of SSDs
- Lack of HDDs bigger than 6TB for over a year (they finally released 8TB less than a month ago)

They've been exceeded in both departments in size, performance, and price. Reliability still seems good based on the ~48 drives I have running 24/7, as long as you avoid Newegg who packages and stores HDDs terribly.

·
Missing friends
15,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

SanDisk MicroSD cards have pretty much the best performance and reliability compared to the rest, including Samsung.

My Flash Drives are mostly PNY and Sandisk as well.

SanDisk is a great Flash Memory Corp, WD is all the better for buying them.

Glad Trash like Seagate is not buying Sandisk, like they killed Samsungs HDD's lineup. Would hate to have my Sandisk Drives break before the 2 year mark like most of Seagate's products.
tongue.gif
ironically seagate is one of the most reliable hdd manufactures in the world...
and before you quote the ONE "survey" that shows they are failing at a EXCEPTIONALLY high rate ( #tb) to others, perhaps you should look into the reason why, that online storage group conducted that survey during the HDD shortage from the flood

they would not pay the real price for seagate HDDS so they bought consumer drives AND external drives, shucked them., installed them in chassis with NO vibration dampening.

then compared that to real nas drives of the commercial variety ...

hey from backblaze themselves.... yes the same people who put out that horrendous "survey" hmmmmm why are they failing so much ......

1 - 20 of 48 Posts