Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got an i7 6700k along with a NZXT x31. I've noticed that when idling on the desktop and doing simple tasks my CPU temp hovers around 20-30 but can spike for a second to 50 then right back down to the 20's. When running prime95 it maxed out at 70.

Are these spikes to around 50 for a split second normal?

Also after playing an hour of Fallout 4 with realtemp running in the background, the cpu hit a maximum of 71!

Are these temps normal for skylake or what?

(Everything is running at STOCK)

Thanks.

Update: So I decided to run the Small FFT test in Prime95 as opposed to the Blend test i ran earlier. The temp shot up to 91! I almost had a damn heart attack! Is this normal??!?!?!

Ambient temps are very cool 15ish. It's winter.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Those temperatures look normal. Except maybe for Prime95? What version of prime95 are you using? I know the latest version of Prime95 is fine to use regarding about voltages.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50 View Post

Those temperatures look normal. Except maybe for Prime95? What version of prime95 are you using? I know the latest version of Prime95 is fine to use regarding about voltages.
I downloaded the latest version available. As I stated the blend test went up to 70 but the small FFT test was nuts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay another update: I opened up HWmonitor and noticed that the voltage was over 1.4v even just being on the desktop. In the bios it says 1.39v, I have everything set to default.

·
Registered
600 Posts
That is way high voltage for stock speeds. I'm not a CPU guru or anything but I do remember reading somewhere that Skylake chips run at ridiculously high voltages when everything is set to stock. I manually OCed mine the day I got it so I can't speak to it's stock performance because my 6700k only ran at stock for about 10 min. For comparison though right now I have my 6700k running at 4.5GHz core 4.2GHz cache (uncore) with 1.33v. Even if you want to leave the speeds at stock I'd suggest manually tuning the voltage. It should have you chip running much cooler. Other than the 91C P95 test those temps are right in line with what I get at my OC. The 91C produced by P95's small FFT test are most likely because the chip was pushing as much voltage as possible through itself to keep itself running as fast as possible on the test. I'd bet with a manually tuned voltage you won't hit nearly as high of a temp in that test.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
752 Posts
"Stock voltage" may be higher when ASUS Multicore Enhancement is default ON (all cores on turbo)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would turn off any auto overclocking features or software if you are using it, and manually set the voltage and re test.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Damn mel is really burning get it melburn haha.

I would try to reset the bios so everything goes back totally stock. Dont use hwmonitor but get either hwinfo or cpuz (most reliable for actual VCORE). Your voltage should be variable as in shouldnt have all that voltage at idle it does no good to nobody.

I also run my power options as balanced so the cpu speed changes (anyone who thinks you need 4ghz just to surf the web or do mundane tasks shouldnt be allowed on this forum haha).

Another thing don't expect amazing cooling from a single 120mm rad, its barely enough to cool it at stock speeds (sorry to burst your bubble though) Stock voltage should be closer to 1.2. So either change the ratio to match that crazy high voltage or just lower the voltage.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll try lowering the voltage manually to see how that turns out.

Why is Intel shipping these things at these voltages anyways? Does it vary from chip to chip?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipsta77 View Post

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll try lowering the voltage manually to see how that turns out.

Why is Intel shipping these things at these voltages anyways? Does it vary from chip to chip?
It's actually down to the motherboard reading the VID and applying w/e voltage it needs to run at said speeds and usually over volting to dangerous levels as you have found out
tongue.gif
. One of the main reasons we like to manually o/c is because of the way intel does there tests for the VID and branding.
99/100 times we can usually get a stable stock clock for lesser volts or an overclock for same volts.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Quote:

Have you disabled Asus Multicore Enhancement to see what the true stock voltage is?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by misoonigiri View Post

Have you disabled Asus Multicore Enhancement to see what the true stock voltage is?
No, I'll try that fist as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote:

Okay another update: I opened up HWmonitor and noticed that the voltage was over 1.4v even just being on the desktop. In the bios it says 1.39v, I have everything set to default.
Normal stock auto vcore for the 6700k man, I know its weird but that's what it loves running itself at. You can easily push 4.6GHz with 1.40V at least...its pretty weird to why it pushes its vcore so high, you're not the only one
thumb.gif

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredzy View Post

Normal stock auto vcore for the 6700k man, I know its weird but that's what it loves running itself at. You can easily push 4.6GHz with 1.40V at least...its pretty weird to why it pushes its vcore so high, you're not the only one
thumb.gif
Wow really? I've upgraded from a 3770k (I know not the worthiest upgrade) and I definitely got a shock seeing 1.4+
I'll try a few of the suggestions above.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote:

Wow really? I've upgraded from a 3770k (I know not the worthiest upgrade) and I definitely got a shock seeing 1.4+
I'll try a few of the suggestions above.
Same my friend, its really odd. 1.40V is still a fairly safe vcore as long temps are fine (which yours are) so not gonna do any harm. But yeah if you have much time, early on in the skylake overclocking thread there's some talk of the high auto stock vcore.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredzy View Post

thumb.gif
At default motherboard settings, if windows shows all cores on turbo (4.2ghz) during load, it means multicore enhancement is ON. But Intel specs for 6700k is only for one core on turbo.

So in effect, at default settings the board is overclocking from the get-go. It has to over-voltage by a good amount to ensure no instability for all chips being used. This is only what I think anyway.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misoonigiri View Post

At default motherboard settings, if windows shows all cores on turbo (4.2ghz) during load, it means multicore enhancement is ON. But Intel specs for 6700k is only for one core on turbo.

So in effect, at default settings the board is overclocking from the get-go. It has to over-voltage by a good amount to ensure no instability for all chips being used. This is only what I think anyway.
Fair point! All 3 different branded mobos I used had the same default effect (from memory) boosting all cores to 4.2.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
use manual or adaptive - I fell for the stock settings and then applied an overclock of 5.gh ! My voltage was crazy
lachen.gif

So glad it was a short experiment . Never trust bios suites
thumb.gif

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay. I've been using Performance mode in the Power Options and changed it to balanced which seems to have solved the voltage (also downclocks on idle), now on the desktop CPU-Z is hovering out .7-1.1 depending on what I'm doing. As I understand it will bump up during intensive tasks like gaming.

One thing though is I'm still seeing temperature fluctuations, all cores will be around 18-23 when all of a sudden one or two will spike up to 45 or something then back down. Very strange.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:

Okay. I've been using Performance mode in the Power Options and changed it to balanced which seems to have solved the voltage (also downclocks on idle), now on the desktop CPU-Z is hovering out .7-1.1 depending on what I'm doing. As I understand it will bump up during intensive tasks like gaming.

One thing though is I'm still seeing temperature fluctuations, all cores will be around 18-23 when all of a sudden one or two will spike up to 45 or something then back down. Very strange.
That is quite normal i believe as i believe background tasks will make it peak, depending on the task it might use 1 core or all 4.

You can always tweak the advanced options of the balanced mode too.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts