Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everybody!

I know there exist a lot of 2500k threads, but i did not find the answer and have a specific question to ask.

Story:

I was trying to overclock my i5 2500k @ASRock Z68 Pro3 to 4.3Ghz. This ended up in non-booting and cmos reset, but this is okay - for me 4Ghz are enough. I set Voltage on Auto, what makes my computer boot and run 4Ghz in Prime 95 stable for 15min under 74 max temp. The Auto-function uses ~1,36vCore to do this.

I read a lot of threads about 2500k and generally this voltage seems a lot too high for 4Ghz. In other threads they say 1,275vCore would be a good value. With vCore set to fixed 1,275 my computer did not even boot.

Questions:

Is a vCore of ~1,36 okay for long life reasons and intense usage?

Is the cpu temperature mainly connected to the voltage?

Should i try to lower the vCore by myself again? If so: Which values should i try?

Thoughts:

If the vCore is the mainvalue for temperature, this would be the reason for a bit high temperatures @4Ghz.
Can i really have such a bad chip that it needs 0,1V more than others to achieve 4Ghz?
I hope this vCore does not do any damage...

Edit1:

I am now at fixed 1.30vCore what lowers the max temps in Prime at about 7 degress.

Edit2:

Thanks to Hattifnatten i am now stable @4.3Ghz, vCore 1.3V (real ~1.288V) and in Prime 95 below 70 degress.

After you wrote that these temps are too high after i bought a real good cooler i rechecked it. My MB temps raised to nearly 40 while Prime and i didnt understood why. So i felt the chasis and recognized a warm zone where only the cdrom-drive is located. So i checked again and realized that the cpu cooler fan blew into the wrong direction XD. I hope C1E works with 4.3 as nice as it did with 4.0.

I really think my cpu underclocked itself under load (in games) all the time and i did not even notice it. These times are over now thanks to overclock.net, Hattifnatten and a Bios Update to raise Long/Short Power maximum. I am happy and this topic is

SOLVED

Thanks for you interest in advance!

S3bish

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
1. The silicon will degrade faster than normal, resulting in unstability unless much more voltage is added. I recently read about a lad who ran his 2500K @4,8 for more than a year, constantly folding. In the end, he was forced to use way, way more voltage than he required when he first started out. In extreme cases, this will eventually lead to stability-issues @stock clock&voltage

2. Short answer: Yes

3. Lower it yourself
wink.gif
You should be able to tweak your settings for optimal clock/voltage with little effort. SB is redicilously easy to OC
thumb.gif
Your tempereature worries me, though. What cooler are you using? Don't OC if you're using the stock one.

• Rep+
Reactions: s3bish

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

1. Got it, thx.

2. Then max 74 degrees in Prime 95 @ 1.36vCore is still too much?

3. I am @ 1.30vCore now
smile.gif

I am using Scythe Mugen 3 with a Slip Stream 120 PWM Adjustable VR.

Now C1E is not able to lower the Voltage in idle. I think thats not important it still clocks down what lowers the temperatures.

Should i try 4.3Ghz again or are these temps and high needed voltage a sign to stay @4Ghz?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Glad to be able to help out
smile.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: s3bish
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.