Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Aint da way it used to be
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so at my work we are doing some remodeling. We are building a new conference room. Not too big, about 20 ft long. So my boss approaches me (I have the rep of being the local techno geek around there. My job has nothing to do with IT or computers) and asks tells me that they want to have a 40" monitor on the wall that they can do video conferencing with. The room is still in the framing stages so today he and I layed out the wiring that would have to be done so that the framers could do the conduits correctly. So basically I am anticipating that he will ask me to do the PC build for this project soon.

Here are the only requirements that he wants (that i know so far):

-40" screen (I'm sure that is a bit flexible)
-Wireless keyboard/mouse that can be used anywhere in the room
-capable of video chat/skype etc.
-Cheap (He is a tight-wad)
-He wants to be able to eventually mount speakers into the hanging ceiling above. It will have the sleeves in place to do it already. It would be ideal if this could be done without an external amp.
-Budget unknown at this point, but he sure seems intent on doing it. He visited another business that had it and now he wants it.
-Display connected via HDMI

I threw this list together very quickly. It may be totally wrong, but i had to start somewhere. I have never done a small build like this, and I need to tap into everyone's knowledge here. Remember that the PCs primary, and probably only use will be video conferencing. And probably some slideshows and stuff like that. Nothing big. This room will probably be vacant most days of the week.

Please take a look at the list and make changes and suggestions based on my needs. I really appreciate it. Feel free to ask questions too.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post

Ok so at my work we are doing some remodeling. We are building a new conference room. Not too big, about 20 ft long. So my boss approaches me (I have the rep of being the local techno geek around there. My job has nothing to do with IT or computers) and asks tells me that they want to have a 40" monitor on the wall that they can do video conferencing with. The room is still in the framing stages so today he and I layed out the wiring that would have to be done so that the framers could do the conduits correctly. So basically I am anticipating that he will ask me to do the PC build for this project soon.

Here are the only requirements that he wants (that i know so far):

-40" screen (I'm sure that is a bit flexible)
-Wireless keyboard/mouse that can be used anywhere in the room
-capable of video chat/skype etc.
-Cheap (He is a tight-wad)
-He wants to be able to eventually mount speakers into the hanging ceiling above. It will have the sleeves in place to do it already. It would be ideal if this could be done without an external amp.
-Budget unknown at this point, but he sure seems intent on doing it. He visited another business that had it and now he wants it.
-Display connected via HDMI

I threw this list together very quickly. It may be totally wrong, but i had to start somewhere. I have never done a small build like this, and I need to tap into everyone's knowledge here. Remember that the PCs primary, and probably only use will be video conferencing. And probably some slideshows and stuff like that. Nothing big. This room will probably be vacant most days of the week.

Please take a look at the list and make changes and suggestions based on my needs. I really appreciate it. Feel free to ask questions too.
The newegg link appears to be an empty cart. I'm no pro but I would think that even a mATX build would be fine. I bet the latest i3 with a h77 mobo can be built for under $400 maybe. Spend a little extra cash on a nice cam so at least the image capture looks professional. I bet $500 would be a safe bet not including the TV.

I would be excited for this opportunity at my work, but you might want to nail down all the details...beyond budget, you might want to ask about tech support and what sort of liability you might be under if something was to go wrong. etc. Would suck if you built this and something went wrong. Though it might not be your fault, your boss wouldn't know the difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts