Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the forum. I came cause a I have a few questions, right now mostly relating to CPU temps.

I'm recently finished with building my new Ryzen rig and have been tinkering around with trying to coax as much power out of her as possible. Right now I'm trying to get ready for heat issues I foresee as I push her past my current overclock. But the problem is that I'm getting conflicting temp readings from the MOBO, Ryzen Master, HWiNFO6, and SpeedFan.

I have read the Ryzen 5 2400G has a temp offset of 20 degrees C, but I dont think that that is the issue I'm encountering. Idle temps in Ryzen Master are floating around the high 20's and low 30's, same for HWiNFO and Speed Fan. But at idle, the BIOS is reporting idles around 40 degrees.

There is an even stranger issue when under load.

Letting Prime95 do her work, my temps are hovering in the late 70's according to Ryzen Master, but in the 40's according to SpeedFan and HWiNFO. If this was the offset, it would be in reverse and twice as high as I've read. I also have a custom fan curve set up in the bios and my fans should be at 95% speed when above 75 degrees. But they aren't revving up beyond 60% or so (though SpeedFan shows them at 100 you can tell by sound that they aren't... they're real noisy fans).

So who's temps readings should I trust and when? What is causing this 40 C discrepancy under load? And can I fix it?

I'm a bit nervous about pushing the OC, as if the MOBO is not correct the system won't shut down when overheating. And I really cant afford lighting my new toy on fire.

System

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2400G @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard: ASRock x370 Killer SLI/ac v4.70
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master ML240L
Memory: G.Skill Flare X Series 16GB Dual Channel 2133

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
i had the exact same problem with HWinfo. it was giving me alot of odd temps vs others. I verified my motherboard temps in BIOS and RealTemp GT i used. I got rid of HW info and use the BIOS and RealTemp and i've not had an issue. mine floated around 20-30c with loads up to high 50s, 60s before I parted my PC out for a true blue WC loop. not done yet but what i'm getting at is, I personally find HW info a program NOT to use. others may disagree.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to know I'm not the only one getting strange temp readings.

I would be inclined to say that HWiNFO is just full of it, and discard the entire thing. But that doesn's explain my fans revving up when under load. Which makes me question the MOBO's reading accuracy. Regardless I think I might do as you suggest and drop HWinfo. I'm still pretty new to it, so no great loss.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
yeah, I would , i did.

as far as the fans revving up higher is a temp issue. they'll do that if they're set to " auto " and go faster as the hotter it goes. that's a normal thing with those. If you want fan control you'd have to get a program to custom set them and all depends on how hot your CPU gets too which is also a thing.

what kind of cooling you got going on with your CPU ? what case do you have any how many fans?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, guess I wasn't clear about the fan thing, I'm sorry.

Specifically the fans I'm referring to are the pair of 120's mounted on the radiator of my Cooler Master ML240.

I was stress testing with Prime95. It bumped my CPU usage to 100 and started raising the temp, as expected. But my fans are NOT revving up in response to the increased temp. In my BIOS it allows me to set up a custom fan curve. At 75 C, my fans should increase to 95% power. But they aren't, which causes me to ask whether the BIOS is recording the correct CPU temp. As an additional: I did try setting the fans into performance mode, and fans still did not increase speed with heat.

·
Registered
214 Posts
hi,

on my motherboard x370 pro, i can set my fan curve in the bios, but the most times you have 2 temperature for cpu, the motherboard temp and the real core temp, more often its called svi2/tfn, is the only one you have to care

for your fan problem the only thinf you have to do is set the 100% of your fan earlier and see if it start earlier, try set 100% at 60 degres and see if there is some change.

if no you can try clear cmos before saving your overclock profile.

hope this help good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts