Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear OCN,

I have a 24inch Iiyama Prolite E2472HD that is running 1920x1080.
Im looking to add another monitor in portrait mode for reading purposes. I follow courses a lot and I hate switching/tabbing between open windows when following instructions. I have to pause the video etc. Its just for luxury purposes!

What monitor size aligns up nicely with a 24inch in portait mode and following the aspect ratio of 16:9 and 1920x1080 what resolution should the portait mode monitor be able to run in order to align the picture correctly?

Is there anyway of finding this out?

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Measure the screen height of the primary monitor, and find a monitor with the same screen width. Use the smaller one as a portrait monitor.

You may need a custom resolution profile... but I think the nVidia control panel will have an option for a portrait monitor setup.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn;13087205
Measure the screen height of the primary monitor, and find a monitor with the same screen width. Use the smaller one as a portrait monitor.
what resolution does the other monitor need in portrait mode in order to get resolutions right?

like my main monitor is 1920x1080 but if i get a 1280x1024 next to it in portait will it align properly?

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Resolution for the portrait monitor would have to be about 608x1080.

I think. Verify that with a few other people. But that should line up properly. The important number is the height, so that should be fine.

I'm thinking you'd want a 1080 monitor for portrait, but maybe the nVidia control panel could compensate for that. If you have a spare monitor laying around, connect it up and try out some nVidia settings.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I dont think you will be able to line up a monitor in portait with a 24" 1920x1080. I do not know of any resolutions that are 16:9 with 1080 horizontal pixels (you would then pivot to make 1080 vertical resolution to make portait). This would be very small to maintain a 16:9 aspect (607.5 pixels). That screen just wouldnt make sence.

The portait monitors you see that line up nicely are like my setup 2560x1600 on main monitor with 1600x1200 in portait next to it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't see why you would need portrait, given the setup you are asking for. Seems that it would make more sense to just do a regular dual-screen setup.

Right now I have my main monitor in 1920x1080 and a 21.5" lcd tv in portrait next to it 768x1360. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that some things are a little too big on that smaller resolution. I plan to upgrade my main monitor soon and use my current one as the portrait in 1080x1920. It doesn't line up perfectly but its a portrait monitor so its not going to that's the whole point IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts