Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't VID suppose to change as you increase the turbo multiplier? I've been trying to overclock my 3930k using offset mode. When I use auto offset, the voltages at load and idle are the same regardless of what turbo multiplier I'm using (CPU-Z shoes 1.256 V at stock 3.8Ghz and with turbo multi changed to 40, 42 and 44). Can somebody please tell me what I'm missing? Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,083 Posts
Voltage Identity Code

SOURCE
Quote:
The VID of your CPU is the default vcore your CPU needs in order to run at stock to run Intel's standards for stability on any non-faulty motherboard. Some people have found that they can undervolt below their VID to still run at Stock speeds without failing stability tests. However, I highly discourage this on practice on low-end motherboards for reasons I will explain soon.

In my overclocking experience, I have found that using a medium to high-end motherboard has allowed me to overclock using the VID vcore for several hundred mhz's. This is because these motherboards generally do not have bad vdroop or vdrop (defined below). The CPU's VID is designed to be what is required so that when a low-end motherboard shows its severe vdroop/vdrop that the CPU will still run 100% stable.

What is my VID?
For most CPUs, your VID can be read using CoreTemp as CPUID. For Core i7's, there is currently not a program that I know of that directly shows what your VID is. To get an approximation of VID on these CPUs, load the default settings for your Bios, but turn off C1E and C-State and load into windows. The vcore reading at idle in CPU-Z will be roughly the VID of your CPU.

Please Note that with Turbo Mode on the i7's you will in escence have 2 VID's. For example, a Core i7 930 has a VID for running it's 21x multiplier and a VID for running a 22x multiplier. You can force the 22x multiplier on to see it's VID, but it is ussually much higher than the VID for the 21x multiplier. I have a i7 930 with an approximate VID of 1.082v with the 21x multiplier and a 1.254v VID for the 22x multiplier. Remember though that these aren't the exact VIDs, but what is seen in CPU-Z.

You will notice that with Vdroop Enabled or Load Line Calibration Off that under load the vcore will drop. For undervolting on a high-end motherboard, the vcore being read at load at stock with vdroop ON is a great vcore to start your undervolting. Simply record the voltage reported at load, turn on Load Line Calibration, enter in that voltage into the bios, and test stability. If your motherboard is able to keep this voltage constant, then more than likely you will still be stable.
MORE SOURCE explaining Vdrop

 
  • Rep+
Reactions: stahlhart

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have it set to auto (default setting). Same with the other power saving features as I'd like to use them. I should also mention that the computer is running perfectly fine. I'm not going for an extreme overclock (4.2-4.4Ghz is all I'm after). I just want to make sure I'm not missing something and there isn't more voltage being fed than I'm seeing. I was under the impression that SVID should ramp up the voltage as I increase the turbo multiplier.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoehornHands View Post

I have it set to auto (default setting). Same with the other power saving features as I'd like to use them. I should also mention that the computer is running perfectly fine. I'm not going for an extreme overclock (4.2-4.4Ghz is all I'm after). I just want to make sure I'm not missing something and there isn't more voltage being fed than I'm seeing. I was under the impression that SVID should ramp up the voltage as I increase the turbo multiplier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahlhart View Post

Welcome to the forums.

Do you have C1E enabled?
thumb.gif


This member is spot on. If you want your CPU to downvolt according to the load percentage you need to ENABLE C1E

EIST: Enable

C1E: Enable (Not auto...set at enabled)

C3/C6/C7: Auto
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the quick responses. I've now realized that the wording in my original post was ambiguous so let me rephrase my questions.

My idle and load voltages ARE throttling correctly. I'm referring specifically to the voltage fed to the processor at load as you increase the turbo multiplier. Leaving everything else at default settings and just changing the turbo multiplier, my processor is not being fed more voltage. Regardless of what I set the turbo multiplier to, under load it is drawing 1.256 V (at idle it IS correctly throttling down to 0.800ish). I thought that as you increase the multiplier, the SVID will increase the voltage fed to the CPU. Is this correct? If so, why is my load voltage not changing with increased multiplier? Additionally, I am able to increase the voltage manually by adjusting the offset myself as well as using manual voltage. I'm just trying to understand what exactly is going on. Thanks again for your help.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoehornHands View Post

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the quick responses. I've now realized that the wording in my original post was ambiguous so let me rephrase my questions.

My idle and load voltages ARE throttling correctly. I'm referring specifically to the voltage fed to the processor at load as you increase the turbo multiplier. Leaving everything else at default settings and just changing the turbo multiplier, my processor is not being fed more voltage. Regardless of what I set the turbo multiplier to, under load it is drawing 1.256 V (at idle it IS correctly throttling down to 0.800ish). I thought that as you increase the multiplier, the SVID will increase the voltage fed to the CPU. Is this correct? If so, why is my load voltage not changing with increased multiplier? Additionally, I am able to increase the voltage manually by adjusting the offset myself as well as using manual voltage. I'm just trying to understand what exactly is going on. Thanks again for your help.
CPU Core Voltage Offset Mode Overclocking

Read this guide, it is my best/favorite guide that explain Offset voltage. You have all info you need.

Everytime you raise the multiplier, The SVID will also raise but it is never linear (proportionnal) with the multiplier.

Thats why you need to test and decide whether you need a negative offset or positive offset. In your case, I would suggest raising the offsel voltage positively.

I also suggest filling your sig rig: Your PC system you are actually running on. It will help us help you.

HERE: http://www.overclock.net/lists/component/manage/type/RIG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks KaRLiToS, I must have read that guide a dozen times while trying to understand offset mode. I'm still not understanding how exactly SVID works though. My understanding was that VID for each chip is set by Intel. As you increase the multiplier, SVID increases VID. Sometimes it increases it too much and sometimes not enough, thus the reason for manual offset values. My voltage isn't changing at all as I increase the multiplier. Wouldn't this imply that SVID isn't working as it should? Is it possible that for my particular chip, SVID doesn't kick in until after 4.4Ghz (highest I've tested so far)?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoehornHands View Post

Thanks KaRLiToS, I must have read that guide a dozen times while trying to understand offset mode. I'm still not understanding how exactly SVID works though. My understanding was that VID for each chip is set by Intel. As you increase the multiplier, SVID increases VID. Sometimes it increases it too much and sometimes not enough, thus the reason for manual offset values. My voltage isn't changing at all as I increase the multiplier. Wouldn't this imply that SVID isn't working as it should?
Every Chip has different VID and different behavior.

My i7 3930k

Stock 3.8 Ghz -> VID at 1.325v
OC 4.6 GHZ -> VID at 1.3875v
OC at 5.0 GHZ -> VID at 1.395v

1.395v is obviously not enough for 5.0 Ghz.

at 4.6 GHZ, my offset is (negative) -0.005v
at 4.9 GHZ my offset is (positive) +0.025v

You have to learn your chip personnality
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for all your help KaRLiToS. I decided to try 4.6Ghz real quick and see what happens and below are my results:

@ 3.8Ghz (stock), load voltage = 1.256 V
@ 4.0Ghz, load voltage = 1.256 V
@ 4.2Ghz, load voltage = 1.256 V
@ 4.4Ghz, load voltage = 1.256 V
@ 4.6Ghz, load voltage jumps to 1.400 V

I've just never heard of SVID scaling like this. The chip is also prime95 stable at all the above speeds (except 4.6 which I haven't thoroughly tested). I guess you were correct in saying each chip has its own personality.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,083 Posts
What monitoring program are you using?

I am using Aida64 and it refreshes every 5 sec. You can set it for quicker refresh.

For 4.6 Ghz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've used CPU-Z, CPUID HWMonitor and asus AI Suite II and all 3 programs show the same voltages.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoehornHands View Post

I've used CPU-Z, CPUID HWMonitor and asus AI Suite II and all 3 programs show the same voltages.
Never use Asus Probe II
wink.gif
Hwinfo64 is also very good.

Good luck bud
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaRLiToS View Post

Never use Asus Probe II
wink.gif
Hwinfo64 is also very good.

Good luck bud
thumb.gif
Thanks, I'll check it out. I've also noticed that asus Suite is really buggy (keep getting error messages regarding voltages and stuff) so I turned off the monitoring features (just use it for fan xpert).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoehornHands View Post

Thanks, I'll check it out. I've also noticed that asus Suite is really buggy (keep getting error messages regarding voltages and stuff) so I turned off the monitoring features (just use it for fan xpert).
Yes, don't use asus monitoring program, they haven't updated for ages. Very buggy.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top