Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just got 2 seagate 500GB HDD and i would like to set it up as raid 0.

So do i connect both to the sata port doesn't matter which ports?
Then i go into bios and set sata controllor to enable and sata type is raid

i am confused on what do i do next to start installing my windows 7.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
try to connect them to two ports next to each other, so its like port 1 and 2. Then yea, enable raid in the bios, then when booting up press CTRL and I, maybe different on your mobo to enter the raid setup, from there you choose your drives, stripe size etc..Then install windows as normal.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by waqasr
View Post

try to connect them to two ports next to each other, so its like port 1 and 2. Then yea, enable raid in the bios, then when booting up press CTRL and I, maybe different on your mobo to enter the raid setup, from there you choose your drives, stripe size etc..Then install windows as normal.

Basically what this guy said was correct. Plug in the hdd's to the 2 closest sata ports, enable raid in bios, select stripe size, then install windows on your new raid 0.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Install the drives into Sata ports, it does not really matter which ones, as long as you use the same controller, the yellow Sata ports on your motherboard.

Then goto bios and set Sata as RAID

Once you get past Bios post screen, it'll display another screen, where you can press CTRL+I (i believe) then you add the two drives to raid 0.

Once all set, just go back to bios and make sure that you set it up to boot from cdrom first, followed by your raid.

Insert Win7, and install.

Hope thats help

** To slow

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also is it bad if both hard drive are right next to each other? in terms of heat.

·
Registered
310 Posts
When you enter the Raid Bios, you get 3 or for options to select the Stripe size.

If you set your disks to Raid 0, Bios will normally select 128k, but it allows you to alter it. 128k is the normal for most Raid 0's

As for the HD being next to each other, it depends on your case air flow.

I'd space them at least one bay apart if no flow, but it hardly makes much difference.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok i think i did it right but the stip was only 64k is that ok? also idk even know if i did it right is there a way to check before installing windows?

·
Registered
953 Posts
The performance difference between 64 and 128 stripe size is negligible. In the RAID manager you should see the drives in RAID listed as member disks or something similar. Also, when you go to install windows the name of your new "disk" will be something related to the RAID controller.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts