Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K.
Been looking for laptop and now i'm looking at these:

ASUS
K50ID-SX054

T4400 2.2 GHz
chipset NVIDIA McP79D
4GB DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM
15.6 HD (1366x768) LED backlight,color-Shine (Glare-type),Asus Splendid
Hard disk SATA 320GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GT320M , 1GB DDR3
3 in 1 card reader, SD,MMc,MS
Web cam
802.11 b/g/n Built-in Bluetooth V2.1+EDR 3 x USB 2.0 ports 1 x HDMI Built-in stereo speakers Altec Lansing speakers Numeric Keyboard battery 6 cells

618 USD in Serbia

745 USD in Croatia

ACER
Aspire 5542G-304G32BN (BlueRay)

Athlon 64 II dual-core mobile processor M300 (2GHz, 1 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz)
RAM 4GB GB of DDR2 667 MHz memory
15.6 inch HD 1366 x 768 pixel resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio
AMD M880G chipset
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 512MB (with up to 2304 MB of dedicated DDR2 VRAM, up to 1792 MB of shared system memory)
Dolby10-optimized surround sound system two built-in stereo speakers True5.1-channel surround sound output Built-in microphone
320 GB HDD, BlueRay drive,
Multi-in-1 card reader
Integrated Acer crystal Eye webcam
Gigabit Ethernet, WLAN, Multi-gesture touchpad independent standard numeric keypad HDMI port with HDcP support Four USB 2.0 ports

586 USD in Serbia

817 USD in Croatia

I'm gonna get it in Serbia because it is cheaper ofc, but i don't get it.
Why is Asus cheaper than Acer in one country and Acer is cheaper than Asus in other one?

And is there something wrong with that asus?
Because it seems to give too much for that money (i wont complain,but smells fishy)...

And so, which would you recommend?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,630 Posts
ohhhh naughty boy buying from serbia lol

but anyway, I would go Asus

Asus is Number 1 realiability in Laptops eg. quality/RMA etc

Acer is near the bottom with HP

(HP highest failure rates)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by Mr.Pie
View Post

ohhhh naughty boy buying from serbia lol

but anyway, I would go Asus

Asus is Number 1 realiability in Laptops eg. quality/RMA etc

Acer is near the bottom with HP

(HP highest failure rates)

i heard that hp should be avoided
and heard that in services there are most acers, but i thought that they have most acers that are malfunctioned because most acers are sold...
you can't have something get bad voice for malfunctioning if nobody bought it...
so are acers really bad or are they just most sold...?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
Well since they both have fairly close processor performance,same amount of ram and screen size i'd go with the Asus one because the 320m is better then Acers 4570 + it's DDR3 unless your looking for something specific..

Check this on notebook gpus
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Compari...rds.130.0.html

Sorry for sounding like an ass but i'm pretty sure you know good well what i mean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:


Originally Posted by sosikwitit
View Post

Well since they both have fairly close processor performance,same amount of ram and screen size i'd go with the Asus one because the 320m is better then Acers 4570 + it's DDR3 unless your looking for something specific..

Check this on notebook gpus
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Compari...rds.130.0.html

Sorry for sounding like an ass but i'm pretty sure you know good well what i mean.


well i checked that site allready and they have nothing about 320m
they have about quadro 320m, but that's not the same thing...

and according to this site:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/[email protected]+2.20GHz
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...Dual-Core+M300
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/vi...eForce+GT+320M
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/vi...Radeon+HD+4570

t4400 scored 1554 in passmark
m300 scored 1219

gt 320m scored 357
HD 4570 scored 284

and that's what actually got me confused
why then is asus cheaper than acer?

Edit:
yes i know
but also am a bit sensitive since my dad has died
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm
maybe it is blue-ray player which acer has
and
"Dolby10-optimized surround sound system two built-in stereo speakers True5.1-channel surround sound output "
hmm
what do i lose by not having
"Dolby10-optimized surround sound system two built-in stereo speakers True5.1-channel surround sound output "
since i did plan to use this laptop as a HTPC one day...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathclaw View Post
well i checked that site allready and they have nothing about 320m
they have about quadro 320m, but that's not the same thing...

and according to this site:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/[email protected]+2.20GHz
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...Dual-Core+M300
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/vi...eForce+GT+320M
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/vi...Radeon+HD+4570

t4400 scored 1554 in passmark
m300 scored 1219

gt 320m scored 357
HD 4570 scored 284

and that's what actually got me confused
why then is asus cheaper than acer?

Edit:
yes i know
but also am a bit sensitive since my dad has died
sry about the jab on your dad not being happy


btw all the Nvidia GT300 series cards eg. GT320, GTX360M are basically rebrands of the GT 200 series eg. GT220, GTX260M

only diffrence is support for DX10.1 and some minor clock speed changes (correct me if i'm wrong pls)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathclaw View Post
hmmm
maybe it is blue-ray player which acer has
and
"Dolby10-optimized surround sound system two built-in stereo speakers True5.1-channel surround sound output "
hmm
what do i lose by not having
"Dolby10-optimized surround sound system two built-in stereo speakers True5.1-channel surround sound output "
since i did plan to use this laptop as a HTPC one day...
If that's a feature you want and it seems like it has you leaning in the Acer direction then go for it.
 

·
Data Recovery Engineer
Joined
·
20,225 Posts
Every country is different... But personally I would go with Asus. They are much better and have great Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
In my opinion, they're both pretty good. It's really all about what brand you like best, as you should know, each cycles differently. I'd personally go with the intel with nvidia just because I'd have better faith in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,396 Posts
go for the asus i have an acer right here in front of me and the 5.1 stuff is just a gimmik the blue ray stuff is nice but erm..... yh it aint that great to justify a cost
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GekzOverlord View Post
go for the asus i have an acer right here in front of me and the 5.1 stuff is just a gimmik the blue ray stuff is nice but erm..... yh it aint that great to justify a cost
Edit:just when i wanted to say this i've read your post


the thing is i don't really need a laptop that very much
i need it when i travel once a month for 10h in one direction and back again 10h.
and battery life ain't my big concern since trains nowadays have wall power sockets and i can plug it in...
i would be most happy if i could find some cheap used single core just so i could play movies, but since everybody is overpricing their used old laptops i decided it's better to just get a new one...
and now i want it to be able for some casual gaming (since i will really use it only once a month for that one trip,and i have main rig for gaming)
but i would like to use it later (in a few years) to plug it into a big tv (reason why i only looked at laptops with hdmi) and use it for watching movies.

so will i be at disadvantage concerning sound quality if i were to choose asus over acer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathclaw View Post
Edit:just when i wanted to say this i've read your post


the thing is i don't really need a laptop that very much
i need it when i travel once a month for 10h in one direction and back again 10h.
and battery life ain't my big concern since trains nowadays have wall power sockets and i can plug it in...
i would be most happy if i could find some cheap used single core just so i could play movies, but since everybody is overpricing their used old laptops i decided it's better to just get a new one...
and now i want it to be able for some casual gaming (since i will really use it only once a month for that one trip,and i have main rig for gaming)
but i would like to use it later (in a few years) to plug it into a big tv (reason why i only looked at laptops with hdmi) and use it for watching movies.

so will i be at disadvantage concerning sound quality if i were to choose asus over acer?
im no expert as i have never used hdmi stuff before so i would assume hdmi only transfers visuals and not sound (can someone clarify) if it can do sound as well then i wouldnt worry about the sound quality of the laptop as u will most likely be playing the sound through your tv speakers or whatever setup u have

i think the difference in the 2 of sound quality is the output of the sound u get directly from the built in speakers... with my "partners" acer laptop the thing rattles so it just defeats its purpose and 5.1 with speakers soo close together... it does no justice.

do u have a speaker setup that you can plug directly into the 3.5mm jacks ? as that would be a much better alternative

(im waiting for the laptop gurus to come in cos im clueless with laptops and despise there limitness)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,630 Posts
Asus FTW........don't go Acer

user polls show that Acer is near the bottom of realiablity with HP

if you want good laptops. Always go Asus~~~Good Servrice and Build quality
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top